Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Why are all the derogatory comments about old grannies never Grandads?

(150 Posts)
Cambsnan Tue 31-Oct-23 14:20:23

When did the word granny become shorthand for all the bad things about aging? A grandad is never used in this way! I became a grandma in my 40s and don’t feel old even 25 years on.

BlueBelle Tue 31-Oct-23 15:58:08

What derogatory words are you talking about?

Nannarose Tue 31-Oct-23 16:09:50

I suspect 2 reasons:
Until recently, women lived longer than men, so there were more old women about.
Misogynistic language has been part of our culture, and we are still working to get rid of it!

Allsorts Tue 31-Oct-23 16:13:07

I think granny is lovely, whatever age I don’t know what derogatory things you refer to.

M0nica Tue 31-Oct-23 16:15:20

Just listen Bluebelle, you hear it all the time, in conversation and in the media, 'only suitable for grans', 'somewhere safe to take your gran' ,'even your gran will be able to get here.' Always in a dismissive or perjorative context.

At the AGM of local group I belong to the speaker was the reasonably well known presenter of some countryside/environmenal tv programme (I hadn't heard of her). During it she spoke of getting up a steeper part of the Ridgeway National Trail, as 'not somewhere to take your Gran'.

Afterwards I spoke to her qietly and told her how offensive I found the use of that phrase, apart from the fact some grandparents were only in their 40s and 50s, there were plenty of older people who were more than fit enough to walk the rougher remote parts of the ridgeway, and I was one and I was nearly 80.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 31-Oct-23 16:21:31

I don’t understand why people get so upset about such trivial things. It just doesn’t occur to me to be offended.

paddyann54 Tue 31-Oct-23 16:49:46

I say it myself when I see something I like the style of but not the print its "something your granny would wear"I was a granny at 49 and I dont believe I'm old at just months off 70 I like being called Granny though not nan or nana I find those names quite aging

M0nica Tue 31-Oct-23 16:51:11

The reason is, *GSM' is that it is a form of institutionalised ageism, an attitude that just dismisses us, our concerns, our existence as autonomous individuals just as much as racism, sexism, ableism. It is a dismissal of 25% of the population as people of no account.

Have you read the language Boris Johnson was using about older people, as a group, as it was reported to the COVID inquiry today.

I do not get upset about it, I cannot be bothered to waste the emotion on it, but I have always stood up for any group that is being marginalised, whether women, other ethnic groups or any other group and ageism is insidious throughout society and if we do not stand up for ourselves who will?

Using the phrase 'grans' as a generalised term for older people is almost always perjorative and a way of stripping older people of instrumentality in their lives.

annodomini Tue 31-Oct-23 16:57:46

Our late Queen was known as 'Granny' to her GC as was her mother. Neither would have conformed to the image of a doddery 'old dear', ready for the scrap heap.
I'm very happy to he Granny to all my GC and my DGGD and hope there will be a few more to call me 'Granny'.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 31-Oct-23 17:01:41

I have never felt dismissed MOnica, except as a young woman who had to pass all her solicitor’s exams and virtually beg for a training contract because I was a secretary without a university degree. Having got over that hurdle and qualified, I have never been, or felt, dismissed again. I couldn’t care less what language others use or what their attitudes are - I am my own person and I have agency. I only became a Granny this year at 72 and that is the name I asked to be called. I have no desire to make a stand against the use of a word which has only positive connotations for me. I’m far from anyone’s vision of a little old granny!

henetha Tue 31-Oct-23 17:12:17

It's just a generalisation, I think , and don't take it personally.
However, maybe contradicting that, I never did want to be called Granny and am known as Nan to all my grandchildren

Kim19 Tue 31-Oct-23 17:22:31

I don't let it bother me. How little they know.

sodapop Tue 31-Oct-23 17:27:52

Granny knickers springs to mind, referring to the full sized garment as opposed to minis or thongs etc.

pinkquartz Tue 31-Oct-23 17:34:58

i felt proud when my DGC call me Grannie. To me it is something special not really an aging word, maybe because i began to be one age 45 years old.

When TV presenters use it it shows them up as ignorant bexause they seem to be referring to little old ladies in days gone by.
Those of us that lived more unconventional life styles are nothing like the images they seem to be picturing.

BlueBelle Tue 31-Oct-23 17:35:19

I ve never connected with hearing the word ‘Gran’ or ‘Granny’ used in a nasty way just simply never noticed it, so no I don’t get upset

I m also Nan Henetha I had a Nan who I was very close to and a Granny who I didn’t know so well so I wanted to be a Nan and I am to 7

MerylStreep Tue 31-Oct-23 17:42:21

I use the word against myself in a self deprecating way with the much younger people I volunteer with 😂

Shelflife Tue 31-Oct-23 17:59:16

It doesn't offend me , however it is indicative of a disrespect for women that has been in society for far too long! We have all become so used to it that many people - men and women don't recognize it. Time it was recognized and stopped.

Shelflife Tue 31-Oct-23 18:02:20

Well said Monica !!!

BlueBelle Tue 31-Oct-23 18:04:44

It’s not about not recognising it I haven’t noticed it
Are we talking about on programmes, comedians, in the street in newspapers ?

absent Tue 31-Oct-23 18:29:08

I am not over concerned about the word granny or gran, but "little old lady" does make me twitch. When I was described as such, only one word was applicable – old – as I am 5 foot 8 inches tall and an assertive woman.

Galaxy Tue 31-Oct-23 18:54:07

Older women are often targeted for various insults. It's often because they are good at establishing boundaries and saying no.

M0nica Tue 31-Oct-23 19:17:37

Gran or granny, within a family context has a completely different meaning to its meaning when it is used to dismiss a group of older people as: 'just a lot of old grans'

Bluebelle in all types of programmes, in the street, in newspapers. I cannot think of milieu where it hasn't been used. Obviously, not daily or weekly, but in the example I gave that I experienced live,it was a tv personality addressing a local environmental group.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 31-Oct-23 20:14:22

It really doesn’t matter! Who cares? I don’t, for one. Life’s too short!

Marydoll Tue 31-Oct-23 20:17:27

The grans who meet up in Glasgow are named The Glesca Grannies.
I hope no-one finds that offensive! blush We are quite the opposite of what people think a granny should look like.

Furthermore I am proud to be called a glamourous gran. wink

Theexwife Tue 31-Oct-23 20:19:58

I have heard grandad used in a mocking way usually when a man is out of touch with modern ways.

It really doesn’t bother me, being called granny or old, I am a grandmother and I am out of touch with some modern things and not as physically active as when I was younger.

Try to remember when you were young and what you thought of anyone over 50. Laugh it off, being touchy about such things reinforces the stereotype of a miserable old person.