Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Emojis for "grandmother&qu ot;

(49 Posts)
sarahcyn Thu 09-Nov-23 11:36:48

Have you ever searched for "grandmother emoji"?
See attached.
When did you last see a grandmother or even great-grandmother who looks like this?
It's the hair in a bun that really gets my goat.

Urmstongran Thu 09-Nov-23 11:44:55

Doesnโ€™t bother me. I think she looks sweet actually!

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 09-Nov-23 11:57:13

So do I. What do you want her to look like OP?

sodapop Thu 09-Nov-23 12:03:32

I can see where you are coming from sarahcyn it's a really old fashioned look now. However it is an emoji and they are almost caricatures.

Oreo Thu 09-Nov-23 12:17:20

Itโ€™s awful.
Even my Nan never looked like that.It may seem harmless but is yet another small dig at older women.

Baggs Thu 09-Nov-23 12:27:07

Doesn't bother me. Why does an old person looking old bother people at all?

And, yes, she looks sweet. Not like some hard-faced old people I've occasionally seen.

Baggs Thu 09-Nov-23 12:30:08

I do wish people would stop taking offence where offence is almost certainly not intended. How fragile they must be? Or grumpy. ๐Ÿคท

Here's a golden grandma ๐Ÿ‘ต

sarahcyn Thu 09-Nov-23 12:39:27

So I guess you all wear your hair in the Edwardian style - parting in the middle and the rest in a bun at the back? What a revelation!

Baggs Thu 09-Nov-23 12:39:27

๐Ÿ‘ด and a golden grandpa.

Baggs Thu 09-Nov-23 12:42:00

sarahcyn

So I guess you all wear your hair in the Edwardian style - parting in the middle and the rest in a bun at the back? What a revelation!

Until I broke my wrist and couldn't put my hair in a bun, except for a side parting, I'd pretty much worn my hair in a bun (with grey bits showing), since my thrities.

This is outright bun prejudice!!! Shocking, I say ๐Ÿ˜œ

(not to mention anti-Edwardianism; what've you got against them?)

Baggs Thu 09-Nov-23 12:42:40

Although, to be fair, some people called it a chignon.

Baggs Thu 09-Nov-23 12:43:52

How would you represent a gran in an emoji, Sarahcyn?

Send drawings and we'll judge them.

Blossoming Thu 09-Nov-23 12:59:06

I have a warm nightie from John Lewis that looks like something Granny Clampett would wear, itโ€™s supposed to be below the knee but itโ€™s floor length on me grin. My hair is a lovely silver grey and at the moment Iโ€™m growing it. Itโ€™s just long enough for an updo now, but not long enough for a bun. I also have some fetching lace up Edwardian style boots. I just need a shawl and lโ€™m ready to go!

Oreo Thu 09-Nov-23 13:03:30

A gran or grandpa emoji just with grey hair maybe tho obvs not all or even many do have grey hair.That would be about right for showing an older person.
Bun prejudice!๐Ÿ˜‚love it.
Must say I havenโ€™t seen anyone old with a bun since I was at school when an older teacher always wore her hair that way.

Oreo Thu 09-Nov-23 13:05:06

Blossoming ๐Ÿ˜‚ thereโ€™s no hope for you.

AreWeThereYet Thu 09-Nov-23 13:17:03

Isn't that Red Riding Hood's grandma?

AreWeThereYet Thu 09-Nov-23 13:23:17

sarahcyn

I don't part it in the middle but yes, when my curls are falling out in the days when my hair needs a wash I often wear an Edwardian-style 'bun' - I learnt how to do it from a young lady/woman/person on You-Tube. It/he/she/they also make and wear Edwardian and Victorian clothes.

Chrissyoh Thu 09-Nov-23 13:27:02

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Chrissyoh Thu 09-Nov-23 13:28:56

Baggs

How would you represent a gran in an emoji, Sarahcyn?

Send drawings and we'll judge them.

๐Ÿ˜‚

Baggs Thu 09-Nov-23 13:39:35

AreWeThereYet

Isn't that Red Riding Hood's grandma?

๐Ÿ˜‚ I knew I recognised her from somewhere!

Oreo Thu 09-Nov-23 13:41:22

I quite fancy that golden grandpa Baggs ๐Ÿ˜Š

seadragon Thu 09-Nov-23 13:46:19

I am a guilty 74 year old silver haired bun and glasses wearing, (Lucy & Yak fan) grandma, ....and proud of it!

Cherrytree59 Thu 09-Nov-23 13:47:52

Mrs Claus ๐Ÿง‘โ€๐ŸŽ„

kittylester Thu 09-Nov-23 17:27:18

The thing is that it's shorthand for a gran. Everyone would know that represents a gran. Most grans nowadays don't look like anyone's idea of a gran.

Bella23 Thu 09-Nov-23 17:39:39

She looks sweet like the finger puppet out of the Red Riding set my GD used to have. You tipped her up and she was the wolf. I bet the grandpa has a bald head a big fluffy moustache and a pipe in his mouth that matches her.
In a way, it's good to be reminded what not to look like . At least she looks kind. Not like some of the grumpy old" g 'when they think you have beaten them to the half-price shelf in M&S.