Gransnet forums

Food

What are you eating for lunch?

(52 Posts)
baggythecrust! Fri 17-Jun-11 12:50:44

Dried dates and cream cheese in a sandwich made with home-made bread (added ingredients: extra wheatgerm, home-grown egg, the end of a pot of creme fraiche, some cress, poppy seeds) and unsalted butter. Was going to put some young sorrel leaves from the garden in the sandwich too but it's pouring down and I have to cycle to school later so don't want to get wet twice today. My drink is hot water. What are other people having?

glassortwo Fri 17-Jun-11 12:58:08

I had not thought of Lunch yet until I read you post, now I will have to go and have a search, dont think it will be as delicious as your baggy

supernana Fri 17-Jun-11 13:34:29

I want some of baggy's lunch, please. Mine was tasty - nutty bread with mackerel in olive oil, a crunchy apple and a nice cup of tea. When I saw the starving children of North Korea on last night's news I couldn't help thinking, what can I do to make their lives so much better...if only...

absentgrana Fri 17-Jun-11 14:01:40

Brie, grapes, water biscuits and a pear. I also had a glass of wine – not usual at lunchtime, not least because I am not a solitary drinker. However, I am struggling with an unbelievably boring piece of work so cheered myself up with aforementioned glass and another trawl through gransnet. Trouble is, when I leave gransnet and the wine is finished, the work will still be there.

Joan Fri 17-Jun-11 14:09:32

Nowt.

We have late breakfast and early evening meal. Mind you, our breakfast is more like a lunch.

Today I had sliced Strassburg with cream cheese on top, some cottage cheese mixed with chillie sauce, a slice of liver paste, and a hard boiled egg. I always like a high protein breakfast - it keeps me full for hours.

I don't eat bread or wheat products: it makes me feel healthier to avoid grains as much as possible.

janthea Fri 17-Jun-11 14:14:27

After worrying news of my daughter's pregnancy, I couldn't anything but a KitKat. Needed the boost.

baggythecrust! Fri 17-Jun-11 14:27:31

Chocolate is definitely good for emergencies.

baggythecrust! Sun 19-Jun-11 12:28:46

Haggis pie for lunch today. smile The other ingredients inside the pastry are potatoes, cooking apples and eggs.

Notsogrand Sun 19-Jun-11 13:30:36

Haggis pie sounds glorious!
I had homemade carrot, coriander and cannellini bean soup, 1 rice-cake, 7 prunes and a satsuma.

baggythecrust! Sun 19-Jun-11 14:07:19

notso, your lunch sounds yummy too! Haggis pie is glorious, especially cold on a hike.

artygran Sun 19-Jun-11 14:33:53

We had a late cooked breakfast to sustain us for a walk, but later we shall have LIVER with new potatoes, vegetables and onion gravy! My husband loves LIVER! NOT!! But it is good for him,so he has to eat it up like a good boy or he won't get any pudding! (Our grandson is away this week and I'm compensating, OK?)

greenmossgiel Tue 21-Jun-11 14:38:18

For lunch today I had.....Ryvita with cheese. Very tasty. Then I remembered I'd made chocolate 'hobnobs' yesterday, so I had 2. Then, seeing a jar of Smarties in the cupboard, I had a good handful of those as well.....oh well, it's a rainy day and .....well....anyway, it was all very nice! gringrin

Mamie Tue 21-Jun-11 15:17:43

Cold veal and mayo sandwich (OH homemade bread), peach and apple. Today is our 42nd wedding anniversary. Tonight dinner party - tapenade and mackeral pate, roast lamb with garlic, rosemary and honey and roasted veg in olive oil, then a cherry bombe (neighbour's cherries) made from layers of home-made cherry ice-cream, cherry water ice and mascarpone with ameretto and pistachio nuts.

jangly Tue 21-Jun-11 15:35:37

Oooh greenmossgiel - yours was the best! wink grin

jangly Tue 21-Jun-11 15:39:00

You are all very adventurous. I just had plain old ham and tomato sambos. Plus a tiny bit of left over cold fruit pie. (all choccies, cake, crisps, from the weekend been eaten [sad). (i have had a very thorough search)

Notsogrand Tue 21-Jun-11 15:48:24

I had remains of last night's dinner for lunch - pasta/tuna/peas& sweetcorn/lemon peel & juice/smidge of quark/loads of pepper and small slosh of white wine. It re-heated quite well. With 2 small pieces of chrystalised ginger for pud!

baggythecrust! Tue 21-Jun-11 15:52:03

Today I had a cheese and bramble jam sandwich (home-made bread) and some water. And a couple of yogurt-coated chunks of pineapple.

GoldenGran Tue 21-Jun-11 16:24:41

I had quiche without pastry,made by a friend who doesn't eat wheat. Am now watching Wimbledon and am hungry again, have searched for chocolate and not a crumb in the house, so had a handful of cherries instead.Mamie, you are making my mouth water with description of dinner party food!

FlicketyB Tue 21-Jun-11 17:17:01

Chicken casserole, boiled potatoes and broad beans followed by strawberries. The broad beans and strawberries were fresh from the garden.

I am having to be careful at the moment as I have been prescribed a steroid inhaler for a few weeks. I had noticed since I had it I had felt much hungrier than normal and had started snacking between meals then on Sunday I completely forgot to use the inhaler and my appetite returned to normal. I googled 'steroids and increased appetite ' and dicovered this is a quite common side affect of these drugs, altough this is not mentioned on the leaflet that came with the inhaler. I am now trying to up my meal size a bit so that I can resist snacking between meals while trying to make sure I do not overeat and put on weight.

goldengirl Tue 21-Jun-11 21:33:38

I had a bacon buttie with HP sauce and a cup of tea blush. My excuse for this unhealthy meal is that I hadn't made any of my usual soup and I wanted something quick as I was looking after my granddaughter and also had to help my daughter and grandson with a minor crisis - all sorted now. My little granddaughter had spag bol courtesy of Hipp Organic - and asked for more!!!

baggythecrust! Tue 21-Jun-11 21:40:34

Don't blush, golden. I virtually lived on bacon butties and tea when I worked on Blackpool trams as a clippie for the summer before uni, and I'm here to tell the tale. I also ate some bacon today. We had pasta and pesto (home-made and glorious) with a sprinkling of bacon bits. Apart from the occasional bit of cress, my pesto is the only green stuff my youngest daughter eats so it's a regular in our house. I only discovered the wonders of the added bacon bits recently (I think I had some to use up) wink.

annie19 Wed 22-Jun-11 12:34:42

I've given up knowing what to have for lunch at the moment. When I make salad it's so cold and rainy I wish I was having soup. When I make soup the weather ends up being hot and so I want salad... Hmmm maybe I should make soup every day and that way we might actually get a decent summer?

baggythecrust! Wed 22-Jun-11 12:43:24

I never plan lunch. I just rummage around to see what I fancy, what needs eating, what my guts are telling me I need to eat. Today it's a banana and some roasted bean mix.

pompa Wed 22-Jun-11 13:00:06

Fresh smoked trout (very fresh - only caught it last night), horseradish and French bread.

Annobel Wed 22-Jun-11 16:01:35

Smoked salmon with Philly extra light on a granary roll. Then a banana. I was entertaining my senior GD (19) to lunch and had to go and buy something suitable.