Gransnet forums

Food

Something from "nothing"

(80 Posts)
Grannyknot Thu 14-Nov-13 15:49:41

I have conjured up a meal from next to nothing (not boasting, just happy because I'm feeding 3 adults on a budget meal) - I made home made fish cakes out of a tin of mackerel, one fresh fillet of plaice (poached), and a tin of pilchards (drained off the tomato sauce). Combined with grated onion, left over mashed potato, and a small handful of oats (makes them crunchy) plus one egg, then patted into shape and rolled in a bit of flour, they're now neatly wrapped on plate awaiting the frying pan later this evening. Yum!

I'll call it "Three Fish Fishcakes".

margaretm74 Fri 14-Feb-14 12:02:05

I made up a corned beef hash when the DC were small and DH still requests it

chopped onion, microwave with a little oil in a large lidded dish, add cubed cooked potatoes, frozen peas and corned beef (a tin served 5, a couple of slices is enough for DH). Plus s&p. Microwave until thoroughly heated, nice with brown sauce. Or a tin of baked beans as above posters.

We also have bubble and squeak with sunday's leftover veg, use all the chicken cold or in a stirfry, then boil carcass for stock.

margaretm74 Fri 14-Feb-14 12:03:45

Shysal - was that a Fanny Craddock recipe?

shysal Fri 14-Feb-14 12:26:02

Margaretm74, Fanny may well have done something similar, but I invented it myself.

margaretm74 Fri 14-Feb-14 13:07:48

smile