Gransnet forums

Food

Remoska

(44 Posts)
shysal Wed 29-Jan-14 15:16:51

I have been to a friend for lunch today, and she had baked her jacket potatoes in one of these. www.lakeland.co.uk/18850/Standard-Remoska-Electric-Cooker
They sound very versatile and more economical than turning on my oven when cooking for one. Does anyone have one, and would you recommend it? At £149.99 I would like to be sure before splashing out.

Anne58 Wed 29-Jan-14 15:24:18

Here's a review

www.confused.com/gas-electricity/articles/the-remoska-electric-oven-can-it-cut-the-cost-of-cooking

Anne58 Wed 29-Jan-14 15:43:59

shysal I've just found something on Money Saving Expert that says Lakeland are discontinuing them shock

Anne58 Wed 29-Jan-14 15:46:26

But it's still on the Lakeland website, so someone must have got it wrong.

Versavisa Wed 29-Jan-14 16:45:01

They have new models out I believe so perhaps it was the old ones that were discounted?

I've been wondering about getting one so it would be good to hear some views on it.

Anne58 Wed 29-Jan-14 16:47:52

I suppose that the Lakeland promise of money back for any reason would make it a pretty safe purchase.

Aka Wed 29-Jan-14 16:56:30

Yes, I've had mine for 5+ years and use it non stop. I don't bother with the cook book that goes with it, just adapt my on recipes. I've also used it when camping (with a hook up of course) and cooked the Hairy Bikers Mediterranean Chicken in it from scratch. Envious looks from fellow campers.

If mine ever goes bust I'll be buying another for sure. It also uses less electric than an oven.

shysal Wed 29-Jan-14 17:26:11

Sounds promising so I have ordered one, plus a used recipe book. Am I right in thinking there is no choice of temperature? Thank you for your help everyone.

Aka Wed 29-Jan-14 17:31:15

No choice of temperature, but that's not a problem. If things are cooking too quickly I turn it off for a while and allow them to continue cooking in the reduced heat, with the lid on, then turn it on again perhaps 10 minutes later to brown. I sometimes cover with foil at the start too. Trial and error. Not ruined anything yet.

Aka Wed 29-Jan-14 17:34:06

There are a couple of extras you can buy with it, but the only one I use is the round grill thingy. This raises the food, such as sausages, so it cooks more quickly.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 29-Jan-14 17:35:01

On Lakeland website they've got two sizes, standard and grand. I cook every day for two but sometimes at weekends for four or more. If I got the grand would that still be ok for cooking for just the two of us?

Don't know which to get!

glammanana Wed 29-Jan-14 18:17:34

Aka have pm'd you.

Fairhair Wed 29-Jan-14 18:50:08

There is one on EBay! Last bid £31. Comes with autographed cookbook.Looks used gently.smile

shysal Wed 29-Jan-14 18:57:01

aka, glad I ordered the rack as well, only £2.99 with free postage for both together. I used Amazon as 1click payment is so simple, although it is still fdom Lakeland.

Ana Wed 29-Jan-14 18:57:57

Autographed by who? (or whom?) grin

Bez Wed 29-Jan-14 19:02:53

Do they differ very much from a Halogen oven? I use my halogen for roasting and potatoes etc - they are much cheaper than the Remoska - about£30

Fairhair Wed 29-Jan-14 19:03:49

The women who put the cookbook together.hmm

Ana Wed 29-Jan-14 19:08:03

Oh, sorry! Those cookbooks that come with appliances don't usually have 'authors' as such...blush

Ana Wed 29-Jan-14 19:08:54

I thought for one mad moment it might have been signed by the previous owner...

Fairhair Wed 29-Jan-14 19:13:55

grinX

Mishap Wed 29-Jan-14 21:54:43

I've had mine for many years. A few months ago I rang Lakeland to ask if they could send me a new top section as the non-stick coating was beginning to flake off. They said "No - it has a lifetime guarantee, so we will send you a new one!"

I use it all the time for just about everything - it saves heating up a whole big oven. It is brilliant.

Aka Wed 29-Jan-14 22:50:50

Never used a halogen so cannot answer you Bez sorry

Anne58 Wed 29-Jan-14 23:05:43

Mishap what brilliant service from Lakeland! You must have been pretty chuffed!

Aka Thu 13-Feb-14 09:39:24

I didn't want to start a new thread but I do want to add to what Mishap said about Lakeland and to thank another GNetter who PMd me.

My Roomba, bought from Lakeland, broke down after two years. It wasn't the battery (they do need replacing) so I shoved it up in the attic and bought a new one.

Reading this I had Mr Aka unearth it and I emailed Lakeland. Yesterday a man arrived to take the dead Roomba away and a cheque for almost £300 arrived in the post. Talk about cash in the attic!

But first class customer service from Lakeland and their lifetime guarantee is just that.

Ariadne Thu 13-Feb-14 09:46:10

Please tell me more about halogen ovens! I am very tempted by either one of those or a Remoska, but of course, the halogens are much cheaper...