Gransnet forums

Food

Your help needed! Wheat free bread!!

(55 Posts)
Wallygrom Sat 22-Feb-14 16:25:51

hi everyone! Anyone out there with a wheat intolerance/allergy that makes bread? My hubby now has an intolerance to wheat, eggs and dairy. All shop bought breads that he can eat are dry, fall to pieces and expensive so we thought we would make our own using gluten free flour. The initial loaf was a disaster - flat, no rise (obviously due to lack of gluten) and very doughy/cakey texture - tasted ok-ish but useless for sandwiches. We are now moving onto trying spelt bread which we are advised he can eat - whilst there are plenty of recipes about for this has anyone made any of these that actually work well?? If so would you mind sharing your recipe and method of success please? Thank you!

whenim64 Sat 22-Feb-14 16:57:31

Hi Wallygrom my first attempts at spelt bread weren't great but I used a Paul Hollywood recipe in his bread book and that comes out well. It's light and airy and I find if I butter the bread before slicing it, it doesn't break up.

thelobsterclub.wordpress.com/2013/08/04/paul-hollywoods-spelt-bread/

rosequartz Sat 22-Feb-14 17:22:38

I will try that one whenim64. Dd1 cannot have any gluten at all.

I found a bread mix in Sainsbury's called Helen's brilliant bread mix (am I allowed to say that?) But they don't seem to stock it any more. It was much better than some. I will need to get some more before DD1 comes to stay, so if anyone finds it would be pleased to know where.

I tried making pastry with gluten free flour but it was like a rock.

rosequartz Sat 22-Feb-14 17:25:05

Ah, I just noticed that Paul Hollywood's spelt bread is not gluten free, only lower. No good for coeliacs.

whenim64 Sat 22-Feb-14 17:42:54

All spelt flour has some gluten, Wallygrom but if he's been advised he can eat it, it should be fine. You can buy gluten-free flour (not spelt) - Doves Farm makes it.

rosequartz Sat 22-Feb-14 17:48:57

I will look for that whenim64, thankyou. Will have to practice baking with it first before DD1 comes. The very wellknown gf bread is OK but some of the 'own brand' ones are like sawdust.

merlotgran Sat 22-Feb-14 18:02:28

Buckwheat flour is gluten free. Not sure about bread but it makes good pancakes.

rosequartz Sat 22-Feb-14 19:14:21

Pancakes sound good!

Penstemmon Sat 22-Feb-14 19:58:18

The Gluten Free flatbreads are quite good for wraps. I buy them in Sainsbury but probably available elsewhere!

kittylester Sat 22-Feb-14 20:18:09

I've bought Helen's on line rose and agree the white is great although the brown was a bit heavy! I bought a scone mix too but haven't used it yet. Genius crumpets are good and the DS ready made pastry is ok!

There is a website called something like the Intolerant Gourmet which has good recipes for all sorts of allergies. Phil Vickery has done a couple of GF cook books and all Delia's cake recipes work equally well with gf flour.

Spelt flour is no good for me at all - I do miss nice bread! sad

rosequartz Sat 22-Feb-14 20:42:55

Thankyou kitty, will have a look online. DD1 has to be very careful as wheat seems to be in so many things these days, so have to have a re-think when she comes and read every label. A local shop stocks a few things such as Mrs Crimble's and Tesco have a few things. Haven't seen the crumpets but our local shops are a bit limited in their ranges.

Joan Sat 22-Feb-14 22:08:07

I decided to stop eating wheat, and discovered you just don't need to eat bread. I do have some almond flour recipes for nut bread, but they involve lots of eggs.

For breakfast I have something like fried tomato, mushrooms and bacon or bratwurst plus and egg, as I'm OK with eggs. For lunch I usually have fruit and cheese, or a slice or two of strassburg spread with cream cheese. For dinner it is meat or fish with lots of vegetables, and maybe grapes and brie for afters.

I keep boiled eggs in the fridge, plus cold meat and cheeses for snacks.

Eating a lot of protein means you rarely feel hungry.

So forget bread - it is easy to do without. Anyway, even without wheat intolerance, today's flour is appalling - adulterated with GM flour, soy, and heaven knows what else.

rosequartz Sat 22-Feb-14 22:16:59

Yes, don't think I have the same problem as DD1 but have been feeling bloated and had a stomach ache all afternoon after 1.5 slices of 'fresh' crusty bread for lunch. I do feel better if I avoid it, but with everyone here today it was quick and easy.
What is strassburg spread joan?

kittylester Sat 22-Feb-14 22:26:01

I have found that it's quite easy to avoid wheat and gluten once you get into the swing but there is no substitute for a lovely slice of fresh bread with soup or cheese or jam [sad[

rosequartz Sat 22-Feb-14 22:28:34

You're right, kitty, or a yummy slice of fresh Victoria sandwich filled with just raspberry jam! With sugar on the top. Or scones, jam and clotted cream.

kittylester Sat 22-Feb-14 22:32:00

I can do the Victoria sandwich and I'm working on the scones! Delias all in one sponge is good!!

rosequartz Sat 22-Feb-14 22:46:36

My oven's hopeless! However Delia's recipes usually work, except for the scones which look lopsided and cracked (not due to her recipe I'm sure). Rarely make anything like that these days, sadly, unless I am in a baking mood like Bod's Aunt Flo.

Joan Sat 22-Feb-14 23:34:20

rosequartz asked me:'What is strassburg spread joan?'

Well, this is a perfect example of not getting the punctuation right. I meant strassburg, spread with cream cheese, ie a slice of strass used like a cracker with cream cheese on it.

kittylester Sun 23-Feb-14 07:55:29

But what is Strass, Joan [numpty emoticon]

seaspirit Sun 23-Feb-14 08:18:48

gluten is in some gravy powders, there are a lot of good gluten free recipes on the net

kittylester Sun 23-Feb-14 08:37:29

Gluten is in lots of unexpected places:
Worcester sauce
Soy sauce
Some crisps
Most frozen chips
Loads of ready meals
Most stock cubes
Most commercial soups
Baking powder

I can't really shop in aldi as they have very little stuff with no gluten in sad

Joan Sun 23-Feb-14 09:17:39

Strass is my bad spelling of Strasburg, a German style cold sausage. It is a bit garlicky.

rosequartz Sun 23-Feb-14 09:18:26

Sorry, Joan , but still no wiser, must have led a sheltered life.

We have to read every label carefully when DD1 is coming, and eating out can be a minefield although some of the chains now label items gf on their menus.

TriciaF Sun 23-Feb-14 10:22:38

You could try chestnut bread - several recipes if you Google.
Also cornflour is gluten-free - makes nice biscuits.

rosequartz Sun 23-Feb-14 10:26:25

Joan, our posts must have crossed. SIL would probably love that, he likes continental sausagey things.

Am going to do some research and may practice in the breadmaker, thankyou for all the suggestions.