Gransnet forums

Food

Your help needed! Wheat free bread!!

(56 Posts)
Wallygrom Sat 22-Feb-14 16:25:51

hi everyone! Anyone out there with a wheat intolerance/allergy that makes bread? My hubby now has an intolerance to wheat, eggs and dairy. All shop bought breads that he can eat are dry, fall to pieces and expensive so we thought we would make our own using gluten free flour. The initial loaf was a disaster - flat, no rise (obviously due to lack of gluten) and very doughy/cakey texture - tasted ok-ish but useless for sandwiches. We are now moving onto trying spelt bread which we are advised he can eat - whilst there are plenty of recipes about for this has anyone made any of these that actually work well?? If so would you mind sharing your recipe and method of success please? Thank you!

janerowena Wed 05-Mar-14 12:53:08

Have you tried oopsie rolls?

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83254.html

My sister is coeliac. These are ok, at least it feels as if you have a burger in a bun or a bacon sandwich so OH is fine about eating with her.

janerowena Wed 05-Mar-14 12:53:25

www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83254.html

rosequartz Wed 05-Mar-14 13:40:23

I received this reply from the man from Wessex Mill, I asked him why the need to use yeast as I thought it worked on the gluten in wheat to create a rise:

'The recipe needs the yeast to create a fermentation. The yeast uses the starch to create sugar and the gas to lift the loaf. Gluten has nothing to do with the yeast and is safe for coeliacs.'

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 05-Mar-14 14:44:38

DD is allergic to wheat (including spelt) so I have become an expert on all things wheat/gluten free smile

Tried all the breads - they do fall apart but some are better than others. Waitrose seeded is good. And Genius. Tesco own brand not bad either. You just have to be very careful or the top of the slices fall off!

We used a GF mix in the breadmaler - wasn't brilliant - despite following the instructions to the letter it came out very soggy on top. Shoved in the oven for a bit to dry it out and apparently it tasted great - just was a bit flat!

Must remember to look on the Dove's Farm website - find swapping their flours in place of "normal" works pretty well for most things and used their pancake recipe yesterday with great success.

rosequartz Wed 05-Mar-14 22:19:32

Thanks for that Cari. I may use the breadmaker to do the main part then bake it in the oven. Or I may just buy Genius as we did before!

DD1 was given a bag of banana flour to try (she lives in Australia and there are banana farms around her). Apparently they are experimenting with this; she said it was very good and did not taste of banana, she made pizza base with it which i suppose had a strong tasting topping. Banana is starchy so would turn into flour, as long as the taste is not strong I don't see why it shouldn't work. I think it is a local product as yet.