Gransnet forums

Food

Your help needed! Wheat free bread!!

(56 Posts)
Wallygrom Sat 22-Feb-14 16:25:51

hi everyone! Anyone out there with a wheat intolerance/allergy that makes bread? My hubby now has an intolerance to wheat, eggs and dairy. All shop bought breads that he can eat are dry, fall to pieces and expensive so we thought we would make our own using gluten free flour. The initial loaf was a disaster - flat, no rise (obviously due to lack of gluten) and very doughy/cakey texture - tasted ok-ish but useless for sandwiches. We are now moving onto trying spelt bread which we are advised he can eat - whilst there are plenty of recipes about for this has anyone made any of these that actually work well?? If so would you mind sharing your recipe and method of success please? Thank you!

rosequartz Wed 05-Mar-14 22:19:32

Thanks for that Cari. I may use the breadmaker to do the main part then bake it in the oven. Or I may just buy Genius as we did before!

DD1 was given a bag of banana flour to try (she lives in Australia and there are banana farms around her). Apparently they are experimenting with this; she said it was very good and did not taste of banana, she made pizza base with it which i suppose had a strong tasting topping. Banana is starchy so would turn into flour, as long as the taste is not strong I don't see why it shouldn't work. I think it is a local product as yet.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 05-Mar-14 14:44:38

DD is allergic to wheat (including spelt) so I have become an expert on all things wheat/gluten free smile

Tried all the breads - they do fall apart but some are better than others. Waitrose seeded is good. And Genius. Tesco own brand not bad either. You just have to be very careful or the top of the slices fall off!

We used a GF mix in the breadmaler - wasn't brilliant - despite following the instructions to the letter it came out very soggy on top. Shoved in the oven for a bit to dry it out and apparently it tasted great - just was a bit flat!

Must remember to look on the Dove's Farm website - find swapping their flours in place of "normal" works pretty well for most things and used their pancake recipe yesterday with great success.

rosequartz Wed 05-Mar-14 13:40:23

I received this reply from the man from Wessex Mill, I asked him why the need to use yeast as I thought it worked on the gluten in wheat to create a rise:

'The recipe needs the yeast to create a fermentation. The yeast uses the starch to create sugar and the gas to lift the loaf. Gluten has nothing to do with the yeast and is safe for coeliacs.'

janerowena Wed 05-Mar-14 12:53:25

www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83254.html

janerowena Wed 05-Mar-14 12:53:08

Have you tried oopsie rolls?

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83254.html

My sister is coeliac. These are ok, at least it feels as if you have a burger in a bun or a bacon sandwich so OH is fine about eating with her.

durhamjen Tue 04-Mar-14 21:29:39

Doves Farm make lots of different flours. I use their buckwheat flour for lots of recipes.
When I had a cafe, I used their plain wholemeal flour for pastry as I found that any on the staff could use it to make light pastry. That's not wheatfree of course. If I need to make pastry for glutenfree, I use half buckwheat and half rice flour. It's all to do with how you aerate the pastry by lifting it when you rub in the fat.

kittylester Tue 04-Mar-14 20:26:57

Dove do gf flours too!

TriciaF Tue 04-Mar-14 18:56:52

I've been using Dove's bread flour for years and I'm sure it's wheat flour. So I don't know why you're using it.
We've just made some bread with it today, well, Eddie has, he's taken over my job. OK but very heavy. I told him to add some white flour but he wouldn't.
Try asking advice on The Fresh Loaf forum. There are some experts on there.

broomsticks Tue 04-Mar-14 18:13:39

I don't make my own but the DS ciabatta rolls are quite nice and Tesco does good hot cross buns and ginger biscuits. Also DS pizza's are pretty indistinguishable from the real thing.

I've just tried making carrot cake. Dunno what it's like yet. I'll let you know.

rosequartz Tue 04-Mar-14 17:56:45

Found their website and emailed them the question. If I find out I will post.

rosesarered Tue 04-Mar-14 17:48:43

Sorry, many years since I made bread, and that was normal wheat bread flour. maybe somebody else will know? Ask Mr. Google!

rosequartz Tue 04-Mar-14 16:17:29

I just bought some Wessex Mill bread flour from our local farm shop, and the recipe includes yeast. I thought yeast was used to work on the gluten in wheat flour to make it rise, so I am a bit confused. Has anyone had experience of this bread flour? I was going to use a breadmaker.

Wallygrom Wed 26-Feb-14 16:39:11

I saw your mention of it - fab site and will be undoubtedly using it quite a lot whilst everything is still so new to us!! Thank you smile

kittylester Tue 25-Feb-14 17:24:00

Wallygrom, I mentioned this site ^^ but you may not have spotted it. It's well worth a look as I found it really helpful to begin with.

www.theintolerantgourmet.com/

Wallygrom Tue 25-Feb-14 14:03:19

Just found that out about the spelt! sad

Wallygrom Tue 25-Feb-14 14:02:31

I know, this wheat free thing is quite hard unless you stick strictly to making everything yourself - its in so many products - was surprised to find it in a packet of crisps!! (though that depends on make to be fair).

We have now been told that he cant have spelt as it is from the wheat family so our efforts on making a loaf were a waste of time (though I am enjoying eating it! lol) but we are going to have to try making other breads and use Orgram - the egg substitute that Holland & Barrett sell - used it unsuccessfully with some wheat (and consequently gluten) free flour - will get some xanthum gum though kittylester, as that might be the reason why!

<sighs> its such hard work and he really loves bread, eggs and dairy - all the things he cant eat....BUT on the plus side, his psoriasis has cleared up almost totally, his dodgy stomach has improved and he has lost 1.5 stones in weight so not all bad! (maybe I need to follow this diet too just to lose the weight! wink )

durhamjen Sun 23-Feb-14 18:10:39

Wally, spelt is a type of wheat, so you cannot really say no wheat. It's an old style wheat, before modern farmers started messing around with wheat and affecting the gluten.
My grandson loves Mesa Sunrise. He eats it dry, like a snack rather than a breakfast cereal.

durhamjen Sun 23-Feb-14 18:06:40

I used to make buckwheat pancakes for people who could not eat bread.
Easy to make, just buckwheat flour and soya or almond milk. Make the batter a few hours before you need it, and it looks glutinous, but isn't.
Stir in a spoonful of oil before you cook them.

rosequartz Sun 23-Feb-14 17:58:20

Must try it, the name 'gum' always put me off.
Not sure if coeliacs can eat it?

kittylester Sun 23-Feb-14 17:53:23

Wallygrom xantham gum is good to add to GF flour - it gives it stretch! smile

rosequartz Sun 23-Feb-14 17:23:51

Thankyou galen

Galen Sun 23-Feb-14 17:04:53

Ocado have a gf free pack of crumpets

rosequartz Sun 23-Feb-14 16:39:52

Oh, kitty what I meant was that an ordinary crumpet doesn't seem to upset me, but DD1 can't eat one of course. I will look for some gf ones for her - or even try a batch with gf flour! Scotch pancakes might be easier to make.

Not stocking up with too much as she may like a trawl around the shops to see what's available here, just doing some homework first.

kittylester Sun 23-Feb-14 16:18:50

Why can't your DD eat gf crumpet rose?

Kallo stock cubes are gf.

kittylester Sun 23-Feb-14 16:18:09

Why can't your DD eat gf crumpet rose?

Kallo stock cubes are gf.