Gransnet forums

Food

Your help needed! Wheat free bread!!

(55 Posts)
whenim64 Sat 22-Feb-14 17:42:54

All spelt flour has some gluten, Wallygrom but if he's been advised he can eat it, it should be fine. You can buy gluten-free flour (not spelt) - Doves Farm makes it.

rosequartz Sat 22-Feb-14 17:25:05

Ah, I just noticed that Paul Hollywood's spelt bread is not gluten free, only lower. No good for coeliacs.

rosequartz Sat 22-Feb-14 17:22:38

I will try that one whenim64. Dd1 cannot have any gluten at all.

I found a bread mix in Sainsbury's called Helen's brilliant bread mix (am I allowed to say that?) But they don't seem to stock it any more. It was much better than some. I will need to get some more before DD1 comes to stay, so if anyone finds it would be pleased to know where.

I tried making pastry with gluten free flour but it was like a rock.

whenim64 Sat 22-Feb-14 16:57:31

Hi Wallygrom my first attempts at spelt bread weren't great but I used a Paul Hollywood recipe in his bread book and that comes out well. It's light and airy and I find if I butter the bread before slicing it, it doesn't break up.

thelobsterclub.wordpress.com/2013/08/04/paul-hollywoods-spelt-bread/

Wallygrom Sat 22-Feb-14 16:25:51

hi everyone! Anyone out there with a wheat intolerance/allergy that makes bread? My hubby now has an intolerance to wheat, eggs and dairy. All shop bought breads that he can eat are dry, fall to pieces and expensive so we thought we would make our own using gluten free flour. The initial loaf was a disaster - flat, no rise (obviously due to lack of gluten) and very doughy/cakey texture - tasted ok-ish but useless for sandwiches. We are now moving onto trying spelt bread which we are advised he can eat - whilst there are plenty of recipes about for this has anyone made any of these that actually work well?? If so would you mind sharing your recipe and method of success please? Thank you!