Gransnet forums

Food

And now, your least favourite food?

(66 Posts)
papaoscar Sat 14-Jun-14 12:22:12

I have never like sliced tongue or steamed spinach, and the memory of the combination of those with junket, as a child, still makes me heave. Anybody else got any food horrors?

rockgran Sat 14-Jun-14 19:40:15

Anything with chillies. I once got my husband's chilli con carne in a restaurant by mistake and thought I was going to die! I actually cried!
I love custard skin. - ooh and rice pudding skin, yum.

papaoscar Sat 14-Jun-14 20:46:29

Yes, JBF, I'd forgotten about vegetable marrow. I had an aunt who loved it as a vegetable with plain white sauce. I've never touched it since.

Deedaa Sat 14-Jun-14 21:07:37

My mother was very fond of marrow with white sauce - why??? What was the point of covering a tasteless vegetable with a tasteless sauce?
I'm another one who can't do slimy, whether it's junket, oysters or soft boiled egg white. But I do like pie and mash with liquor - yummy smile

Icyalittle Sat 14-Jun-14 21:13:47

Offal. As a 6 year old in school in Malta I was made to eat liver and for ever after (through thirteen more schools as a Navy brat) I carried an 'Excused Liver' letter from my mother in my blouse pocket.
I also loathed beetroot in corn flour white sauce - yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck. But I like roasted beet now.

feetlebaum Sat 14-Jun-14 22:09:49

Chicken feet - had them as part of a Dim Sum lunch once - tried sucking them - got nowhere... I can live happily without beetroot - that's about it for me.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 14-Jun-14 22:39:14

Yes. Olives too Sra. Can't stand 'em. Or their oil. Eurgh!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 14-Jun-14 22:39:35

Sorry. sara4

grannyactivist Sun 15-Jun-14 00:38:54

Butter beans - actually I'm not that keen on any type of bean really, I don't like the texture. I can and do eat them though.
However; tripe and onions, offal, tongue, milk puddings.......yummy, yum, yum - I love 'em!

Iam64 Sun 15-Jun-14 18:40:51

Tripe - a north west staple in my childhood. It was served with Saturday tea, salad, cheese etc and tripe. The 4 grandparents were always with us, and loved "thrive" as grandpa called it. We children loathed it, and went without. I once asked what kind of fish it was, and when I learnt it was cows stomach, that was it, never to be persuaded even to try a taste. Yuk

chloe1984 Sun 15-Jun-14 19:13:27

Jellies eels,Cornish pasties and most savoury pies .

cangran Sun 15-Jun-14 19:50:45

Goat's cheese - double yuk!

vegasmags Sun 15-Jun-14 20:14:39

I'm allergic to shellfish and seafood, so never touch them. I don't like offal, tripe or fatty meat. With those exceptions, I love everything.

feetlebaum Sun 15-Jun-14 20:41:14

All the more for me...!

granjura Sun 15-Jun-14 21:01:01

Liver and kidneys- just the smell makes me heave uncontrollably.

Not fond of fish or shellfish either- nor any offal. Makes me quite picky I guess...

annodomini Sun 15-Jun-14 21:35:49

Celery - can't stand the texture. Beetroot - yuk!

durhamjen Sun 15-Jun-14 23:00:04

Meat.

merlotgran Sun 15-Jun-14 23:06:10

I'll eat more or less everything apart from semolina or tapioca pudding - even worse with a dollop of jam in the middle.

icyalittle, I think we may have been in Malta at the same time. 1953/55?

merlotgran Sun 15-Jun-14 23:06:36

I was an RAF brat.

Rowantree Mon 16-Jun-14 10:26:16

Tongue, warm milk (eughhhh - especially with SKIN on), runny egg white, eels, sweetbreads, tripe, skin on custard, semolina, tapioca.....and not keen on steamed fish either!

Ariadne Mon 16-Jun-14 10:36:10

Well, as a vegetarian, all meat and fish - the smell in particular.

But also - runny eggs, stuffed peppers (I like peppers in things, but not stuffed with yesterday's rice!) Stilton, Gorgonzola and Roquefort, Marmite, milk puddings, courgettes unless they are not slimy.

harrigran Mon 16-Jun-14 11:35:35

Offal, eels, mackerel and herring most other foods I can tolerate.

rosesarered Mon 16-Jun-14 12:04:20

I detect an 'offal-y theme running here.Also a milky theme. Seems like there is not too much that we dislike really otherwise [of course, for all vegetarians the answer is going to be meat.] I forgot to say [for myself] no shellfish either.

feetlebaum Mon 16-Jun-14 12:53:44

Oh harrigran!

Offal - fabulous! Liver, heart - all very dense flavourful meat.

Mackerel - when hungry and broke, in Cornwall in the 60s. I would borrow a dinghy and go out and catch a few - ambrosia! MUST be fresh...

Eels - last ate them in Bruges, where they are very popular - served in a Provencal sauce - had seconds...

Our species has been successful partly because we were omniverous.

rosesarered Mon 16-Jun-14 12:56:02

Very true feetle but we all have our limits.

kittylester Mon 16-Jun-14 16:25:01

Milk skin, tripe, beetroot and whale!