Gransnet forums

Food

And now, your least favourite food?

(66 Posts)
papaoscar Sat 14-Jun-14 12:22:12

I have never like sliced tongue or steamed spinach, and the memory of the combination of those with junket, as a child, still makes me heave. Anybody else got any food horrors?

DebnCreme Thu 19-Jun-14 15:29:25

Rice Pudding with skin (yuck!)

vegasmags Thu 19-Jun-14 14:49:58

Welcome back Galen - I'd like to bet none of your least favourite foods appeared on the cruise menu grin

Galen Thu 19-Jun-14 12:31:19

Tripe, cows udder and pig's trotters.

annodomini Thu 19-Jun-14 12:21:41

Never really liked cream - hate milk - but then discovered that it made me nauseous, so never (knowingly) touch it. A lot of veggie dishes in Italian restaurants are loaded with cream, so I have to keep an eye on the menu.

Nelliemoser Thu 19-Jun-14 12:03:33

Sticky cakes or gateaux full of buttercream icing or whipped cream. This is why I dislike the modern style of cupcake they are just too sickly. Yuk!

Give me a a good rich fruit cake any day.

hildajenniJ Thu 19-Jun-14 11:16:57

Cream horns. Never eaten them since age ten, when I associated them with being sick. Actually the diagnisis was a virus picked up at a party.

Marmight Wed 18-Jun-14 19:55:51

Anything from the inside of an animal - not so keen on the outside either. Anything with fat or gristle attached, eels, oysters & snails, mangos, skin on milk puddings or custard, slimey fried eggs, chillies, full fat milk.

NanKate Wed 18-Jun-14 19:33:40

Pink blancmange yuk.
Nuts that have gone off.
An ice lolly with ice-cream in the middle, was it called a 'Mivy' ?
White butter beans that used to be in the school stew.

Pass the bucket.

papaoscar Wed 18-Jun-14 19:03:50

I remember with horror plates full of enormous pilchards in very strong, dark tomato sauce. Revolting!

Elegran Wed 18-Jun-14 17:35:24

I remember my father singing a version of Vera Lynn's song - "Whalemeat again . . ."

annodomini Wed 18-Jun-14 17:10:42

I remember my mother referring to snoek which came, I think, from South Africa. I don't remember eating any - I was only four and a half when the war ended.

feetlebaum Wed 18-Jun-14 16:38:08

@jinglebellsfrocks - Whalemeat - I understand it's very popular in Japan...

I remember when it was tried in WWII - we were pretty desperate for grub, but when my mother attempted to prepare it - that was the last time it appeared in our kitchen! Another dismal failure was tinned snoek - I believe the government purchased large stocks of it - but the Brits wouldn't eat that either.

Rowantree Wed 18-Jun-14 16:11:42

I had alligator once. It was rather nice - tasted more like chicken to me though...

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 16-Jun-14 18:53:42

We used to buy whalemeat for our cat when I was little. Does anyone actually eat it? shock

annodomini Mon 16-Jun-14 17:13:59

Whale, kitty? hmm

kittylester Mon 16-Jun-14 16:25:01

Milk skin, tripe, beetroot and whale!

rosesarered Mon 16-Jun-14 12:56:02

Very true feetle but we all have our limits.

feetlebaum Mon 16-Jun-14 12:53:44

Oh harrigran!

Offal - fabulous! Liver, heart - all very dense flavourful meat.

Mackerel - when hungry and broke, in Cornwall in the 60s. I would borrow a dinghy and go out and catch a few - ambrosia! MUST be fresh...

Eels - last ate them in Bruges, where they are very popular - served in a Provencal sauce - had seconds...

Our species has been successful partly because we were omniverous.

rosesarered Mon 16-Jun-14 12:04:20

I detect an 'offal-y theme running here.Also a milky theme. Seems like there is not too much that we dislike really otherwise [of course, for all vegetarians the answer is going to be meat.] I forgot to say [for myself] no shellfish either.

harrigran Mon 16-Jun-14 11:35:35

Offal, eels, mackerel and herring most other foods I can tolerate.

Ariadne Mon 16-Jun-14 10:36:10

Well, as a vegetarian, all meat and fish - the smell in particular.

But also - runny eggs, stuffed peppers (I like peppers in things, but not stuffed with yesterday's rice!) Stilton, Gorgonzola and Roquefort, Marmite, milk puddings, courgettes unless they are not slimy.

Rowantree Mon 16-Jun-14 10:26:16

Tongue, warm milk (eughhhh - especially with SKIN on), runny egg white, eels, sweetbreads, tripe, skin on custard, semolina, tapioca.....and not keen on steamed fish either!

merlotgran Sun 15-Jun-14 23:06:36

I was an RAF brat.

merlotgran Sun 15-Jun-14 23:06:10

I'll eat more or less everything apart from semolina or tapioca pudding - even worse with a dollop of jam in the middle.

icyalittle, I think we may have been in Malta at the same time. 1953/55?

durhamjen Sun 15-Jun-14 23:00:04

Meat.