Gransnet forums

Food

And now, your least favourite food?

(66 Posts)
papaoscar Sat 14-Jun-14 12:22:12

I have never like sliced tongue or steamed spinach, and the memory of the combination of those with junket, as a child, still makes me heave. Anybody else got any food horrors?

annodomini Mon 16-Jun-14 17:13:59

Whale, kitty? hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 16-Jun-14 18:53:42

We used to buy whalemeat for our cat when I was little. Does anyone actually eat it? shock

Rowantree Wed 18-Jun-14 16:11:42

I had alligator once. It was rather nice - tasted more like chicken to me though...

feetlebaum Wed 18-Jun-14 16:38:08

@jinglebellsfrocks - Whalemeat - I understand it's very popular in Japan...

I remember when it was tried in WWII - we were pretty desperate for grub, but when my mother attempted to prepare it - that was the last time it appeared in our kitchen! Another dismal failure was tinned snoek - I believe the government purchased large stocks of it - but the Brits wouldn't eat that either.

annodomini Wed 18-Jun-14 17:10:42

I remember my mother referring to snoek which came, I think, from South Africa. I don't remember eating any - I was only four and a half when the war ended.

Elegran Wed 18-Jun-14 17:35:24

I remember my father singing a version of Vera Lynn's song - "Whalemeat again . . ."

papaoscar Wed 18-Jun-14 19:03:50

I remember with horror plates full of enormous pilchards in very strong, dark tomato sauce. Revolting!

NanKate Wed 18-Jun-14 19:33:40

Pink blancmange yuk.
Nuts that have gone off.
An ice lolly with ice-cream in the middle, was it called a 'Mivy' ?
White butter beans that used to be in the school stew.

Pass the bucket.

Marmight Wed 18-Jun-14 19:55:51

Anything from the inside of an animal - not so keen on the outside either. Anything with fat or gristle attached, eels, oysters & snails, mangos, skin on milk puddings or custard, slimey fried eggs, chillies, full fat milk.

hildajenniJ Thu 19-Jun-14 11:16:57

Cream horns. Never eaten them since age ten, when I associated them with being sick. Actually the diagnisis was a virus picked up at a party.

Nelliemoser Thu 19-Jun-14 12:03:33

Sticky cakes or gateaux full of buttercream icing or whipped cream. This is why I dislike the modern style of cupcake they are just too sickly. Yuk!

Give me a a good rich fruit cake any day.

annodomini Thu 19-Jun-14 12:21:41

Never really liked cream - hate milk - but then discovered that it made me nauseous, so never (knowingly) touch it. A lot of veggie dishes in Italian restaurants are loaded with cream, so I have to keep an eye on the menu.

Galen Thu 19-Jun-14 12:31:19

Tripe, cows udder and pig's trotters.

vegasmags Thu 19-Jun-14 14:49:58

Welcome back Galen - I'd like to bet none of your least favourite foods appeared on the cruise menu grin

DebnCreme Thu 19-Jun-14 15:29:25

Rice Pudding with skin (yuck!)