Gransnet forums

Food

And now, your least favourite food?

(65 Posts)
papaoscar Sat 14-Jun-14 12:22:12

I have never like sliced tongue or steamed spinach, and the memory of the combination of those with junket, as a child, still makes me heave. Anybody else got any food horrors?

janerowena Sat 14-Jun-14 12:25:39

Semolina, tapioca, junket, blancmange all make me heave. I disgraced myself at many a party when I was little. I can eat anything else though.

janeainsworth Sat 14-Jun-14 12:27:21

Any offal. I remember having to avert my eyes as I walked past the UCP shop in my childhood.

tiggypiro Sat 14-Jun-14 12:29:14

Peanut Butter - the only thing I have ever been physically sick after eating. I can eat peanuts though but avoid salted ones. Dry roasted are yummy !

ninathenana Sat 14-Jun-14 12:30:11

Olives, anything remotely spicy and chocolate desserts. Yes, seriously !

Agus Sat 14-Jun-14 12:31:30

Heinz beans, butter beans, cheap grizzly fatty meat and mussels. Think that's it. I am not a faddy eater but those above, YUCK!

henetha Sat 14-Jun-14 12:46:32

Kidneys... cannot abide 'em. And grizzly meat. And pickled peppers and polenta pie eaten in Romania some years ago.
Not mad on olives or anchovies. Cannot bear Worcester Sauce even though most people love it. Yuk!

glammanana Sat 14-Jun-14 13:12:42

Mine has got to be tongue and any cheap processed meat, pie and mash with that awful watery stuff over it that I tried in one of the shops in the East End,mind you I loved the East End of London just couldn't get enthused about the pie & mash shop.

ninathenana Sat 14-Jun-14 13:47:41

Oh, yes liquor from the pie shop is disgusting along with mushy peas forgot those.

joannapiano Sat 14-Jun-14 13:58:20

Like janerowena, I can't eat milky puddings, particularly rice pudding.
And custard-urgh!

Lona Sat 14-Jun-14 13:58:52

Thinking.........................................................................

joannapiano Sat 14-Jun-14 14:03:31

I have just realised, have previously posted on "favourite meal", I loved tripe and onions simmered in milk that my dad used to make!
Perhaps I have a taste for savoury milk dishes!

Charleygirl Sat 14-Jun-14 14:05:29

Any milky puddings, custard and jelly- yuck, hate it all. Fried eggs, poached eggs, spinach, cabbage, broad beans. I am not a fan of gravy so do not come here for a meal. A glass of milk would make me sick- going back to my school days when we were given 1/3 pint of warm milk which I tried to pour out of the window.

Also any spirits, but I do like wine.

Lona Sat 14-Jun-14 15:42:52

Still thinking.......................no wonder I'm not skinny! hmm

Lona Sat 14-Jun-14 15:44:54

Jellied eels!

Agus Sat 14-Jun-14 15:54:18

joanna I used to love tripe and onions as a child but I haven't tasted it in years and not too sure I would like it now. It is still popular in France.

KatyK Sat 14-Jun-14 15:54:52

prawns, belly pork, anything fatty, couldn't eat tongue, the jelly on a pork pie (although I love the pie bit), fried or soft boiled eggs, tinned tomatoes yukky

HollyDaze Sat 14-Jun-14 16:06:43

Lona

grin

HollyDaze Sat 14-Jun-14 16:10:15

Bell peppers - regardless of what colour they are and I won't buy anything that has them added to it.

Offal of any description

All animal fat removed from meat as I can't stand the taste or texture of it

Shark (discovered after ordering a seafood platter and it was on that - actually it tasted quite nice so it was more of a psychological dislike)

rosesarered Sat 14-Jun-14 16:12:41

Offal, anything with fat on or gristle [yeugh]
hmmmn...... roast pork, and that's about it , we were brought up to eat just about anything.

GillT57 Sat 14-Jun-14 18:11:36

Offal, gristle, fat, skin on custard, warm milk; I too have memories of having to drink it at school, there is a fantastic scene in Toast the film autobiography of Nigel Slater, he is forced to drink it by a grim faced teacher and promptly throws up over her shoes.....we all know how he felt.Oysters, anything snotty and slimy. But the one thing guaranteed to make me heave is lumps in mash, I have to leave the table and spit it out, thus I never order it when eating out, too risky. blush

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 14-Jun-14 19:10:45

Marrow. (the veg)

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 14-Jun-14 19:10:59

And broad beans.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 14-Jun-14 19:13:08

I have always loved junket!

sara4 Sat 14-Jun-14 19:33:30

Broad beans, parsley sauce, boiled marrow, olives, spinach (cooked) melon, steamed fish and strong garlic.