Gransnet forums

Food

Poached Eggs

(55 Posts)
mrsmopp Sat 24-Jan-15 16:51:21

So how do you poach yours? Years ago I had an aluminium pan which had four little cups inside that had to greased before adding the eggs. I used it for donkey's years. Then I tried little non stick silicone cups but guess what- they stuck.. Have read about swirling the hot water around in a pan, adding a drop of vinegar, but the centrifugal force made the egg white spread out all over the place. Apparently, chefs have the eggs encased in cling film before dropping them into the water.
How do you poach your eggs?

Katek Sat 24-Jan-15 16:59:59

In a greased ramekin in the microwave. So simple.

tanith Sat 24-Jan-15 17:01:40

I bought the silicone things they didn't stick but I went back to my non stick frying pan, just enough boiling water to cover the eggs, a drop of vinegar but you need to use really fresh eggs then you don't get the whites spreading out.. I turn the pan off completely after a minute or two and just spoon the boiling water over them..

tanith Sat 24-Jan-15 17:03:09

Katek don't you have to prick the yolk to cook them in the microwave? That was what my microwave booklet said.. and then don't they go hard?

whenim64 Sat 24-Jan-15 17:11:19

I don't swirl the water, just slide the egg in from a cup into almost bubbling water and it's done to perfection. Don't use older eggs and it stays together nicely.

mrsmopp Sat 24-Jan-15 17:16:59

Katek, how many seconds do you give the egg to cook? And do you get the runny yolk?

merlotgran Sat 24-Jan-15 17:19:54

I do mine the same as when I think it was a Delia recommendation to turn the heat off once the water has started to bubble.

Katek Sat 24-Jan-15 17:27:54

Yes, you have to prick the yolk to stop them exploding. I also cover the ramekin with a paper towel just in case. It's hard to put a time on it as it varies according to wattage of microwave/size of egg. Try 30-40 seconds to start with and just keep adding 10- 15 secs until you get it right for your oven. And yes, you still get the soft yolk-lovely on multigrain toast and a bed of spinach cooked with oil and pepper.

tanith Sat 24-Jan-15 17:31:06

Thankyou Katek I am going to give it a try later..

Marelli Sat 24-Jan-15 17:38:36

Pop them into boiling water that's had some vinegar added. Wait till the water boils back up again (it'll be frothy), and lift out the eggs. Always done to a turn! smile

Mishap Sat 24-Jan-15 18:09:10

I use the floating silicone boats - they do not stick - they are fine.

rosequartz Sat 24-Jan-15 18:15:38

In a little saucepan, tipped on one side, in gently simmering water.

Sounds dangerous when I read it, so don't tell H&S.

loopylou Sat 24-Jan-15 18:31:11

I use a pan like your old one mrsmopp, quick and easy.
Cannot abide watery poached eggs...

absent Sat 24-Jan-15 18:43:10

Cooking eggs in buttered cups isn't actually poaching them.

TriciaF Sat 24-Jan-15 18:47:36

As a coincidence, yesterday husband bought me a special large spoon with draining holes to lift the eggs out of the water.
I just use the boiling water method, and as ?Whenim wrote, the eggs need to be fresh then they don't spread.

annodomini Sat 24-Jan-15 19:06:58

Give them 10 seconds in boiling water before you crack them open. This ensures that they don't break up and/or spread out.

grannyactivist Sat 24-Jan-15 19:18:27

My husband treated me to a pair of the silicone cups for Christmas and I love them; perfect eggs every time.

rosequartz Sat 24-Jan-15 19:19:56

I lift them out with a slotted spoon then rest the spoon on kitchen paper for a few seconds, which gets rid of any water.

However, DH doesn't like them so I generally only do one.
If I had to do four or more regularly I would get one of those shallow egg poaching pans (I used to have one).

Ana Sat 24-Jan-15 19:22:55

What is it with these husbands who buy kitchen utensils for their wives - even for Christmas? grin

I'm not sure I'd have been thrilled with a pair of silicone cups...

loopylou Sat 24-Jan-15 19:25:26

Oh absent, didn't know that, so what are they then......
I have an 'egg coddler' (present hmm) and no idea what a 'coddled egg' is let alone how to use it! Is china, cup-shaped but no handle and has a lid with a ring on it- does anyone have any idea? confused again!

Atqui Sat 24-Jan-15 19:29:39

I have little paper bag thingies called poachies, made out of stuff similar to coffee filter papers. Cook for 4 mins in boiling water ,
then tip into the water and lift out with a holey spoon

rosequartz Sat 24-Jan-15 19:29:46

ana reminds me of a conversation I had in a local shop last week. I asked the saleslady if they had any soup makers - no they didn't. However she told me about the kitchen full of gadgets that her husband keeps buying for her - some quite expensive! She said she doesn't use most of them, the latest was a potato peeling machine, she said it was just as quick to use her little potato peeler, and so much easier to wash up!

rosequartz Sat 24-Jan-15 19:33:49

looplou my DM used to feed me coddled eggs when I was a baby/toddler.
I think they are. Like boiled eggs but cooked in their shells by standing in boiling water then the heat is turned off or steamed, rather than boiled.

Ana Sat 24-Jan-15 19:39:01

I think the eggs cooked in a greased ramekin or similar would be classed as baked, whether you cooked them in a conventional oven or microwave.

absent Sat 24-Jan-15 19:43:21

Coddled eggs are like soft-boiled eggs. Break the egg into the coddler, add a dab of butter and season with salt and pepper. Secure the lid and immerse the coddler in a pan of simmering water for 8–10 minutes.

Eggs cooked in an egg poacher are not, strictly speaking, poached but steamed. They are sometimes known as buttered eggs.