Gransnet forums

Food

Where have the ginger nuts ?

(92 Posts)
NanKate Mon 22-Feb-16 11:33:03

Sainsbury's and Waitrose do not have any ginger nut biscuits for me to have with my morning coffee hmm. I have instead bought Nairn Oat Ginger biscuits, nice but pricey. Can you get them in your area ?

Do you have difficulty getting your favourite foods ?

NanKate Mon 22-Feb-16 11:33:45

Title - Gone !

Alea Mon 22-Feb-16 11:35:46

Don't panic! But we could be doomed!!

shysal Mon 22-Feb-16 11:36:24

I was told that the factory of the main supplier of ginger nuts has been flooded.
A few years back I had difficulty finding Lighter than Light mayo, so now stockpile when I see some.

shysal Mon 22-Feb-16 11:39:37

In case you get desperate.
www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pauls_mums_ginger_72428

ninathenana Mon 22-Feb-16 11:50:51

Aldi do a very nice korma sauce (only used when in a hurry) the ones with the littlepot of spices under the lid. There are other flavours in the range but korma is hard to find so we stock pile.
I wouldn't know about the ginger biscuit situation in this area, cos they're nasty !! smile

Jane10 Mon 22-Feb-16 11:57:10

That's life- you don't know what you've got till its gone!

JackyB Mon 22-Feb-16 12:19:25

Ginger nuts are dead easy to make. I have a recipe in my GH cookery book. I'll look it out when I get home if you like, if no one's posted one before I get in from work this evening.

Lots of things I have liked have disappeared off the shelves. I think they do it on purpose. (No point in going into details, as mostt of them are German, but I think it's the same over there)

tanith Mon 22-Feb-16 12:22:11

They used to do a range of flavoured salad creams I loved the lemon and black pepper for a change from Mayo but they don't do them anymore .

gillybob Mon 22-Feb-16 12:28:34

Ringtons Ginger biscuits are the yummiest ever. Nothing nicer than dipping a ginger nut in tea and sucking all the gingery loveliness through the biscuit.

Cherrytree59 Mon 22-Feb-16 12:33:58

No ginger biscuits in our co op including their own make.
They said same about flood.
So looks like quite a lot ginger biscuits made In same factory.

Greyduster Mon 22-Feb-16 12:42:51

I used to love McVities ginger nuts but can't seem to find them now. The Aldi and Lidl ones are a bit wishy washy in the ginger department. Agree with JackyB - easy to make your own and much nicer.

Elegran Mon 22-Feb-16 13:13:08

greyduster I tried googling "McVities ginger nuts" and got a whole list of results from supermarkets who sell them - so they must be around somewhere.
www.google.co.uk/search?q=mcvities+ginger+nuts+250g&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=yQjLVsT6JoOeU-GQicAP

Angharad56 Mon 22-Feb-16 13:21:34

The factory is in Carlisle and was flooded. My husband is working there to get it reopened, so hopefully they'll be back in the shops soon!

Shestheone Mon 22-Feb-16 13:36:54

This is all the OH keeps going on about hmm Every trip to the shops, he's like a bloodhound, trying to track a packet down!

Followed by the inevitable moaning when he can't find any......

angharad56 you don't know how happy your post has made me smile

Wonder if he'd like a go at one of the recipes??

Greyduster Mon 22-Feb-16 13:37:46

They haven't had them them at our local Morrisons or Sainsbury's for a while. Next time I go anywhere near a Tesco i'll have a look there. At the moment I'm having a love affair with plain digestives!

NotTooOld Mon 22-Feb-16 14:20:06

Lidl had them, last time I looked. They are quite nice ones, too.

miep Mon 22-Feb-16 14:20:14

I rarely make cake, but I do love the cake mix that Lidl occasionally sells and secretly stockpile the chocolate kind!

grannylyn65 Mon 22-Feb-16 14:23:56

I saw a prog how they make 'light' mayo,!I will never be buying it again !?

AlieOxon Mon 22-Feb-16 14:58:43

I used to like Lincoln biscuits, but they seem to have departed this life.....

Greymary Mon 22-Feb-16 16:52:58

When I did my last online order from Sainsburys a page came up to apologise for them having a shortage of certain biscuits due to severe weather conditions.
Miep any more info on that cake mix please ??

felice Mon 22-Feb-16 17:03:17

I got them in M&S on Saturday, very nice too.

phoenix Mon 22-Feb-16 17:47:06

Do you know, you're right NanKate !

A colleague and I take it in turns to buy biscuits for the office, and usually buy a packet of ginger nuts (Lidl own Towergate brand) for the dogs blush who seem to think that when we have a biscuit, they should too, and I'm damned if we are going to share our deluxe chocolate covered fruit & nut cookies with them!

They've had to make do with malted milk for the past 2 weeks.

rosesarered Mon 22-Feb-16 18:07:44

Nice to find out what has happened ( factory flood.) I can't live without ginger biscuits, had to make do with Sainsburys organic ones which are expensive and wishy washy in the ginger dept.Hopefully they will be back in the shops soon!?

NanKate Mon 22-Feb-16 20:09:20

Well Phoenix I'm glad you can confirm that my ginger nuts are not available and I must admit your choccy biscuits sound a good alternative.

I'm sure as a dog owner you know chocolate is toxic to dogs. On a similar subject I realise I must gave killed off a few hedgehogs in the past with bread and milk. I think they should be given dog food.

Let's hope the ginger nut factory in Carlisle is soon up and running again.