Gransnet forums

Food

New Waitrose ice cream

(61 Posts)
rosesarered Fri 10-Jun-16 23:09:22

Has anybody tried the new ice cream from Waitrose ( the ad is on tv) chocolate ice cream with Sicilian blood orange sorbet? It sounds yummy, who will be noble and test it out first for us??

Grannyknot Fri 10-Jun-16 23:15:58

I did and I loved it! Yummy. There's not a lot of it in the tub for the price, so buy it quickly whilst it is still 25% off.

rosesarered Fri 10-Jun-16 23:20:14

Thanks, I shall be down to Waitrise first thing ( stocking up on it!)smile

Grannyknot Fri 10-Jun-16 23:24:33

It's a clever mix and contrast of flavours - strong chocolate flavour for the ice cream and then the orange sorbet which is very refreshing. I think i'll have to get some more too.

Alea Fri 10-Jun-16 23:51:09

I have tried both and was not impressed. The blood orange sorbet is good, but the chocolate is insipid and IMHO not dark enough. The salted vanilla and passion fruit sorbet was also disappointing the passion fruit drowns out the vanilla which is thin and similarly insipid, nothing like as rich as their Madagascan vanilla on its own.
Won't be buying them again.
On the other hand, their Limoncello is extremely moreish, likewise Hazelnut, Coconut and lime and their Pistachio. So all is not lost.

rosesarered Sat 11-Jun-16 11:25:44

I have to go out of my way to get to a Waitrose, so didn't know about all the other flavours..... some sampling coming up methinks on ALL of them, one a week perhaps.

rosesarered Sat 11-Jun-16 11:27:48

we keep a box of little cornets in the cupboard [cones as they now call them] for the DGC to have an ice cream, but DH and myself have been scoffing ice creams every day [ nice for a sore throat]grin

Alea Sat 11-Jun-16 12:33:52

Now their salted caramel choc ices ......... (If you get mini size you can justify TWO-) those are very special

Charleygirl Sat 11-Jun-16 12:56:47

I bought the chocolate and blood orange sorbet and tried it a few minutes ago. The orange sorbet is very refreshing and this is the first time that I have bought something other than almond magnums. I need to put on weight like a hole in the head which is why I have shied away from trialling. I do think that we should stop this thread in its tracks!

Grannyknot Sat 11-Jun-16 13:16:42

Too late! I'm off to buy the Hazelnut, Coconut and Lime ... and I don't even like icecream grin

rosesarered Sat 11-Jun-16 14:24:18

and now I want almond Magnums [ and I hear there are peanut butter ones too!]Drool.

Charleygirl Sat 11-Jun-16 14:27:50

I am going to stop reading this thread it is not doing me much good- I do not want to sit here and drool either.

sluttygran Sat 11-Jun-16 14:40:32

Smiles rather fatly grin

Liz46 Sat 11-Jun-16 15:05:54

Kelly's Cornish ice cream with honeycombe. Delicious. (You can buy it at Asda)

Thingmajig Sat 11-Jun-16 17:06:31

Nothing nicer than Mackies vanilla, but I do like the sound of the Waitrose choc/blood orange stuff and will surely be buying it first time I'm in ... we have one a 5 minute walk away. smile

rosesarered Sat 11-Jun-16 17:59:58

How convenient for you thingamajig ( I would be popping in and out.)

Grannyknot Sat 11-Jun-16 19:44:19

roses there is a Waitrose practically across the road from where I live - I joke with the staff and call it my own personal pantry grin - and my fridge always has some "marked down" Waitrose finds in it.

Jalima Sat 11-Jun-16 20:37:33

Alea grin have you tried them all?

Don't want to read this thread hmm

We usually stick to Kelly's Cornish icecream (or Mackies)
DH only likes vanilla. Boring.

Jalima Sat 11-Jun-16 20:38:26

Anyway, by the time we get home from Waitrose it would be melted.

annodomini Sat 11-Jun-16 21:28:00

Alea, do I detect comfort eating of ice cream? Or have Waitrose employed you as a taster? I am a connoisseur of their choc ices, but why did I have to read this thread just when I've told myself that I'm on a low carb programme?

annodomini Sat 11-Jun-16 21:28:01

Alea, do I detect comfort eating of ice cream? Or have Waitrose employed you as a taster? I am a connoisseur of their choc ices, but why did I have to read this thread just when I've told myself that I'm on a low carb programme?

Katek Sat 11-Jun-16 21:35:22

Fortunately I have a 101.8 mile drive to my nearest Waitrose otherwise I'd be there like a shot!!

rosesarered Sat 11-Jun-16 21:43:27

Katek We feel your pain! flowers

rosesarered Sat 11-Jun-16 21:44:20

Grannyknot I am green with envy.envy

Nelliemoser Sun 12-Jun-16 09:09:38

One fruit I can't stand is passion fruit. Other wise I will try anything. I have now got some very nice raspberry in and I am intending to make more green ginger wine icecream. It goes with mango like manna from heaven. I have a small icecream maker which is fantastic.
Freeze your soft berry fruit when on offer and you can make it whenever you like. Real vanilla ice cream is wonderful.