Gransnet forums

Food

No sprouts!

(81 Posts)
Nannanoo Sun 11-Dec-16 15:06:35

Just been to get veg for Sunday evening family meal. There were no Brussels sprouts in the veggie dept, so I enquired where they were.
"Oh there's a shortage of sprouts, and they're likely to be scarce until
after Christmas". chirped the adolescent department manager.
Am I alone in cynically wondering if this is a planned shortage to make sure that we all pay inflated prices for the green horror-balls?
I loathe sprouts, so I shan't be inconvenienced, but the rest of the family will want them at any price.
I suppose we must just blame it all on Brexit - or maybe Donald Trump has bought up the entire output of Brussels sprouts as part of his plan for world domination!

Ana Sun 11-Dec-16 15:12:32

There seem to be plenty of sprouts in shops round here!

And don't forget, there's always the frozen option...

merlotgran Sun 11-Dec-16 15:25:54

There is/will be a shortage of sprouts according to DD who works for a large veg producing farming company. This is due to a wet October which damaged the bottoms of the stalks.

Leeks are suffering from a fungal disease called 'pink stripe' so they may soon be in short supply as well.

durhamjen Sun 11-Dec-16 15:30:00

Even though I am vegetarian and love leeks ansd sprouts, I am sure we will not starve without them over Christmas.

thatbags Sun 11-Dec-16 15:35:38

Hear, hear, dj! There's plenty of cabbage and broccoli in the shops if you want greens, folks.

rosesarered Sun 11-Dec-16 15:38:14

Must say I haven't noticed a shortage of them (yet!) we probably only have them about half a dozen times a year anyway, but Christmas dinner wouldn't be the same without them.I cccok them then add them to a frying pan for a few mins with well cooked bits of bacon....very nice.

jusnoneed Sun 11-Dec-16 16:01:27

I bought some in the supermarket on Thursday, cannot stand the things myself but OH likes them. Wouldn't worry if there weren't any though.

durhamjen Sun 11-Dec-16 16:06:32

You can always tell him there are none!

rosesarered Sun 11-Dec-16 16:09:12

tchgrin

Anya Sun 11-Dec-16 16:14:57

They just make up it. Sainsbury's had no cauliflowers in this morning, same reason spouted (sprouted?) yet, there they were an hour later.

kittylester Sun 11-Dec-16 16:34:30

We only have sprouts as token veg on Christmas day so we have them there for the bubble and squeak. You can't bubble and squeak if you have no sprouts! grin

ninathenana Sun 11-Dec-16 16:35:09

I've not been able to buy loose sprouts at all this year. I bought to prepacked bags in asda on Friday. I never usually but veg like that. I did notice the broccoli had gone up in price, whether that's due to shortage or they think they can charge more for what they think we'll use instead.
I had heard they were going to be in short supply.

shandi6570 Sun 11-Dec-16 16:38:56

I have a tin of sprouts lurking in my cupboard just for this very reason grin. In reality I didn't really buy them to keep in case of a shortage at Christmas, they are for when I get the strange but uncontrollable need make bubble and squeak and haven't got any 'squeak'. tchsmile

Jane10 Sun 11-Dec-16 16:45:59

I love sprouts soooo much. I can happily eat a whole bowlful as my entire dinner. For some reason DH isn't too happy about it hmm

mcem Sun 11-Dec-16 16:54:04

Anyone tried kalettes - sold in M&S as flowering sprouts? They have frillier leaves and are slightly purple-tinged.
Slightly less bitter than sprouts tend to be but not particularly tasty.
Cross between sprouts and kale and according to what I've read are very trendy!

Christinefrance Sun 11-Dec-16 16:55:21

Me too Jane10 I love sprouts and after the main meal they do make good bubble & squeak. Not recommended for eating prior to an amorous evening.

Ana Sun 11-Dec-16 16:55:31

Tinned sprouts?!!! Never come across those... grin

nanaK54 Sun 11-Dec-16 16:59:08

My DGC will be delighted ?

Kittye Sun 11-Dec-16 17:04:04

Never heard of tinned sprouts! Don't like the things myself but a favourite with rest of family.

shandi6570 Sun 11-Dec-16 17:08:32

Yes, really ana, bought for under £1 from B&M. I was told about them by a friend who jokingly said that he had seen them for sale and couldn't believe it. Maybe he had a point and I'm just deluded as I've had them for about a year now and still waiting for the desire to make bubble and squeak to arrive. tchconfused

granjura Sun 11-Dec-16 17:21:43

wonder who is going to pcik them post Brexit?

Pittcity Sun 11-Dec-16 17:23:14

I have frozen ones as I love them but nobody else does. I heard that the potato harvest wasn't too good either so the prices will be up!

kittylester Sun 11-Dec-16 17:25:10

The people who pick them now, gj.

Esspee Sun 11-Dec-16 17:30:41

Enjoy your sprouts while you can. Once I am in control they will be banished and become extinct. grin

Jalima Sun 11-Dec-16 17:31:59

Lidl were selling what looked like 'kalettes' too.