Gransnet forums

Food

Danger - Man at Work!

(29 Posts)
TriciaF Tue 19-Sep-17 11:30:13

I was having a bit of a moan at OH because of all the food preparations for one of our festivals (NewYear etc.) He said I'll help - what can I do?
So I allocated him one cooking job. He's turned it into a major industrial production. Enough to feed an army. Of course I had to go to the shops for the extra ingredients etc.
They're so different hmm

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 21-Sep-17 08:48:27

It's not just the difference between men and women - my MIL was like this. After eating, DH, FIL and BIL would enter the kitchen cautiously as it resembled a bomb site. The thought of the ghastly washing-up afterwards was almost enough to put them off the meal.
FIL excused the mess by saying that she learned to cook in the WRNS and therefore always had an 'underling' to whip away each spoon, say after use. Therefore why use one spoon it you can get away with six? MIL's belief was that the cook didn't wash up.
I was taught at school to clean up as you go along. She thought that I was daft.

DanniRae Thu 21-Sep-17 09:01:10

My husband cooks our dinner every Saturday evening and mine is always the same thing: Fish Cakes (bought), oven chops and frozen peas AND I LOVE IT! If there are good programmes on tv I sit and watch in very happy anticipation and wait for my meal. It will be very 'Happy Days' this coming Saturday as "Strictly" starts grin

NonnaW Thu 21-Sep-17 09:54:07

I am very lucky as my DH does all the cooking now, as he finds it very relaxing, and he also clears up as he goes along. I do still occasionally cook something, just to keep my hand it, and he will then insist on clearing up after me. I have to say he makes a better job of it than me. I do the baking, in the main, though he makes great scones and rock cakes!