Gransnet forums

Food

1 onion. Ideas please

(28 Posts)
1974cookie Thu 16-Nov-17 19:06:10

Okay Gransnetters. A challenge for you.
My Partner has just brought home a lovely large red onion that he rescued after it fell off a tractor.
It got me thinking as to what I could do with it. I am thinking something simple with the onion as the key ingredient.
I would love it if you guys could give me any ideas and recipes.

BBbevan Thu 16-Nov-17 19:28:00

French onion soup. With a large lump of cheese on toast on top.

M0nica Thu 16-Nov-17 19:30:58

Difficult to improve on that. It is a red onion so slicing it and cooking it very slowly so that it caramalises and serving it with a steak would also be pretty good.

varian Thu 16-Nov-17 19:37:45

Add a dash of balsamic vinegar to the caramelised red onion and make delicious canapes by serving on croutons with a little crumbled stilton on top -even better popped in the oven for just long enough to melt the stilton.

MissAdventure Thu 16-Nov-17 19:41:09

A cheese sandwich with red onion. Toasted, if you feel like cooking.

Jalima1108 Thu 16-Nov-17 19:55:24

Roasted red onion and beetroot with garlic and thyme, glazed with a few spoonfuls of chicken stock (or veg stock if a vegetarian) and balsamic vinegar.

Add a steak or sausages + potatoes.

Kittye Thu 16-Nov-17 19:57:31

I'm with MissA on this one. Can't beat a cheese and onion sandwich!

Greyduster Thu 16-Nov-17 19:59:21

Caramelised red onion and goats cheese tartlets - delicious!

Cherrytree59 Thu 16-Nov-17 20:21:07

Cut in half
Use one half to make an onion poultice for a bad cough.
The other half use raw and stick on bunion.grin

If you are cough and bunion free then a nice cheese and onion sarnie.

Elrel Thu 16-Nov-17 20:32:11

I need a cheese and onion sandwich, probably toasted!

Marydoll Thu 16-Nov-17 21:02:52

What about tomato and red onion bruschetta, drizzled with balsamic dressing?

paddyann Thu 16-Nov-17 21:36:08

stuff it with minced beef or lamb wrap in foil and bake and serve it with a tomato...ey sauce

silverlining48 Thu 16-Nov-17 22:12:15

If that were me i would put it in the bin...i hate onions!

BBbevan Fri 17-Nov-17 03:42:11

Cherrytree59 ?

tiredoldwoman Fri 17-Nov-17 05:04:41

I can't afford steak ! So I'd fry up some liver and onions !

Imperfect27 Fri 17-Nov-17 05:38:10

A quarter diced and sprinkled raw atop pate on toast ...
Three quarters caramelised and eaten with good quality sausages / cheese omelette, or added to sautéed potatoes ...

Got me thinking for supper time today!

travelsafar Fri 17-Nov-17 06:19:18

caramalised onion tart, yummy.

Menopaws Fri 17-Nov-17 06:31:41

Cook it very slowly in pan with balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and chilli and lots cardamom seeds crushed, takes ages but makes beautiful onion sambal, Sri Lankan style chutney

loopyloo Fri 17-Nov-17 07:30:46

This all sounds delicious. Must look out for stray onions in the high street.

Grannyknot Fri 17-Nov-17 07:52:02

Loopy grin

This thread has brought back memories of my childhood: with a single parent and three children to feed and not much money, my mother had to be inventive with meals.

She used to make the most delicious fritters out of one onion grated, mixed with a couple of slices of stale white bread (white because it was the 1950s) soaked lightly in milk, mashed up with a beaten egg and spoonfuls dropped into hot oil to fry. A bit like an onion bhaji without the spice. I can taste them now, filling and delicious. We'd wait next to the stove and scoff them almost before they had time to hit the plate.

Auntieflo Fri 17-Nov-17 08:40:19

Grannyknot, that sounds delicious. Sometimes you just can't beat recipes made out of nessessity. Our Mums were wonderful. smile

loopyloo Fri 17-Nov-17 10:17:23

That sounds really tasty. Might do that with a vegetable curry this pm. Once by mistake I ordered 1 brussels sprout and cooked it and chopped it up as a garnish on parsnips. Looked great!

JackyB Fri 17-Nov-17 12:51:20

If it's a big one it won't be as sweet as a small one, so not quite right for eating raw, thinly sliced, on a salad.

There are recipes for onion jams and chutneys which will keep till Christmas.

But you want to eat it now - so go for the soup, or slice it up and cook it with red cabbage (add no liquid - except perhaps a tiny drop of vinegar, or port or red wine for special occasions.)

Menopaws Fri 17-Nov-17 14:23:05

For my recipe you really need lots more onions but you get the idea

Baggs Fri 17-Nov-17 14:44:46

Roughly, chunkily, chop up the onion and a couple of sweet potatoes and roast them together. Great with chicken.