Gransnet forums

Food

Foods exclusive to your area.

(113 Posts)
Daddima Fri 01-Dec-17 12:47:09

My neighbour was telling me she was making her favourite dinner from her childhood in Manchester, of rag pudding ( mince or stew in a suet pastry), and Manchester tart ( which I’d seen a couple of times on Come Dine With Me).
I could only think of Scottish delicacies like Lorne sausage or haggis, but I know you can get Finnan haddock , Arbroath smokies,and Forfar bridies in other parts of Scotland. I can’t think of any particular recipes, mind you.
What’s local to your area?

oldgoat Sat 02-Dec-17 22:58:40

Icecream vendors in Whitby sell a local speciality called a lemon top which is an icecream cornet with a dollop of lemon sorbet on the top. Lovely!

Chewbacca Sat 02-Dec-17 23:01:10

It is indeed oldgoat! I've had a lemon top at Whitby, on a scorching hot summer's day and was the most wonderfully cooling thing you could imagine. Gorgeous!

EllenT Sat 02-Dec-17 23:23:27

As a Lancashire child, I grew up with Lancashire hotpot (and hotpot suppers at in village events where everyone contributed a dish of it). Fierce disagreements about the exact composition, but generally a combination of lamb, onions and potatoes, sometimes carrots, with a layer of crispy potato slices on top. Heretics added a pastry lid. Parkin, Goosnargh cakes (a rich shortbread type, often with caraway), meat and potato pies, butter pies (just potato inside), parched peas on bonfire night.

Jalima1108 Sat 02-Dec-17 23:27:03

I used to live near Bath- Bath chitterlins (think pig intestines)
I was introduced to those delights just the other week - 'chittlins' as they are known in Bristol! Thank goodness they were not offering them to me to eat.

Blinko Sun 03-Dec-17 09:49:50

Round here (Black Country) Pikelets are not drop scones or scotch pancakes, or muffins or crumpets... They are those things sold in packs of six with holes in that the butter runs through when you're eating them. About 1cm thick and springy in texture. Thems pikelets!

oldgoat Sun 03-Dec-17 10:34:26

That's right blinko That's what we called pikelets in darkest Gloucestershire.

winifred01 Sun 03-Dec-17 10:56:20

Sunday mornings in the Potteries-oat cakes for breakfast eaten with bacon, cheese or eggs. After church as a child, bought them still warm,carried them like a poultice on my chest.
Still buy them when I go back to Staffordshire.

shysal Sun 03-Dec-17 11:12:20

All I can come up with for my county are Cooper's Oxford marmalade, Oxford Blue cheesegg and Banbury cakes ( elongated Eccles cakes with pointy ends).

shysal Sun 03-Dec-17 11:14:51

I don't know where 'cheesegg' came from! I typed 'Oxford Blue Cheese'.

CherryHatrick Sun 03-Dec-17 13:31:01

Talking of cheese, I can remember my mother frying Lancashire cheese along side bacon and egg. Another fry-up favourite was tomato sausage with the addition of fresh or tinned tomatoes fried in the fat that came out of the sausage, often with a sprinkle of sugar for the flavour and the whole lot poured over 2 or 3 slices of white bread. I have always been stick thin with a low cholesterol count and I put it down to my body learning to cope with large amounts of fat from a young age!

Jalima1108 Sun 03-Dec-17 14:19:06

My mother used to fry Cheddar cheese in the bacon fat too; sometimes the baked beans went into the bacon fat instead to give them some 'taste'.

Teetime Sun 03-Dec-17 14:50:20

Eternal pork pies - big greasy lumps of fat and gristle and gone off cheese otherwise known as Stilton. BUT as the local economy is built on this and it must be said Pedigree chum, I suppose I shouldn't complain.