Gransnet forums

Food

Eggs and use by date

(64 Posts)
tanith Sun 03-Dec-17 11:28:07

I've acquired a dozen large free range eggs with Dec 1st use by, I've made a sponge cake but no time to do anything else today. So how long would you keep using after the use by?

tanith Sun 03-Dec-17 11:29:37

Correction it's not 'use by' it's 'best before' date.

Charleygirl Sun 03-Dec-17 11:35:23

I have kept eggs for over a week after "best before" date but when I have used them eg scrambled or in an omelette I have opened each separately in case one was "off" and I did not want to ruin the others. I have never had a problem.

whitewave Sun 03-Dec-17 11:38:20

Float them. If they float discard if they sink they can be used for things like egg on toast etc if they half sink decant them into a cup before use and if they smell ok use in cakes etc.

Elegran Sun 03-Dec-17 12:03:26

I found half a dozen eggs in my fridge a MONTH after the "best before" date. Reasoning that before date labelling came in I would have broken each separately into a cup and sniffed it before using it, (even if it claimed to be fresh) I did just that. They smelt fine so I made cakes. The cakes were delicious.

Greyduster Sun 03-Dec-17 12:24:12

Agree with the break and smell routine. I don’t tend to set too much store by use by dates and mostly use my eggs in baking and cooking anyway. If we are eating them, I use the ones that are in date.

tanith Sun 03-Dec-17 12:50:14

Thanks all I'll use the break and sniff test I think.

M0nica Sun 03-Dec-17 14:28:06

Our neighbour in France became allergic to eggs. Rather than kill all her chickens she saved the eggs until we came over each month and then presented them to us.

So each month I was presented with sometimes as many as 4 or 5 dozen eggs of uncertain age. I would give some away and use the rest over the following month. In 5 years I had only had one rotten egg and nobody went down with food poisoning. then the chickens went and the supply stopped.

Jalima1108 Sun 03-Dec-17 14:38:57

I was going to say the same as whitewave
The float test (in shell) and then a sniff test.

Squiffy Sun 03-Dec-17 14:42:00

Same here. Just crack the eggs individually and smell them and if they smell all right I just use them. I have discarded some that don't look quite 'right', but they may well have been OK to use - I just wasn't brave enough to chance it!

shysal Sun 03-Dec-17 14:50:33

Crack and sniff for me too! Never had a bad one, weeks after the date.
I note that Elegran found some out of date eggs in her fridge. I always store mine at room temperature which doesn't seem to affect the shelf life.

POGS Sun 03-Dec-17 20:47:33

I don't even keep a record of the date purchased or use by to be honest.

When you crack an egg if the yolk is round and the white is firm it's fresh and if it is flat and the white spreads out thin then time to consider using them up and buy in fresh works for me.

Iam64 Sun 03-Dec-17 20:54:58

I used to have hens and these days buy expensive eggs because they're the best I've found. I cracked some from a slightly less expensive company this morning. They were well within the Best Buy date but the whites spread out thin. They tasted ok but I won't be saving 20pence buying them again.

Jalima1108 Sun 03-Dec-17 22:55:43

I can't read the sell by dates stamped on the eggs anyway

BlueBelle Mon 04-Dec-17 07:08:54

I use eggs weeks and weeks after sell by in fact I should think I rarely use them in sell by I never look never have a bad one that I can remember and yes I store in the fridge ( not enough room on the worktops

Friday Mon 04-Dec-17 07:20:29

Always crack eggs, one at a time, into a small dish before adding them to a cake, the pan or the other eggs. You’ll soon know if they’re ‘off’ your nose will tell you that.

Nature designs the eggs to keep.

NfkDumpling Mon 04-Dec-17 08:09:45

Oopps! It hadn't occurred to me there was a sell by/use by date on eggs! I've never looked! How long do they supposedly keep? Our butcher has erratic supplies of duck eggs and I do prefer to use them first. I feel sure that we've had hens eggs sat on the side (not in the fridge) for weeks sometimes - especially in summer shock as we often go away for a few days to DDs and leave them there.

Having been brought up with hens kept for eggs to sell, we usually had the older ones so I always automatically crack them into a cup to check they're ok before using.

Wasn't there something years ago about not using an egg before it was three days old? Apparently it was very bad for you - but can't remember why.

NfkDumpling Mon 04-Dec-17 08:54:20

Just looked at the egg box in the kitchen. Best Before 24 Nov. Scrambled eggs for lunch then! But it is Best Before - not Use By. So they just deteriorate after that day I suppose.

Bathsheba Mon 04-Dec-17 09:30:25

I always float them - if they settle on their sides at the bottom they're fine; if they settle on their ends at the bottom, they're still OK, but use them promptly; if they rise to the top discard them!

Luckygirl Mon 04-Dec-17 09:46:38

I have never even looked at use by dates on eggs - but I do not eat them! I do cook with them though. I apply the sniff test - if they smell OK then that is fine.

Don't the Chinese bury their eggs for 100 years or something like that?!

Craftycat Mon 04-Dec-17 10:19:16

Our chickens got very good at hiding eggs a few years back & when I found them I no clue how old they were. I used the sniff test but never actually found a bad one. I think the egg shell is a brilliant preservative.

MinniesMum Mon 04-Dec-17 10:28:47

When presented with a glut I do the crack and sniff then put three liquid eggs at a time in polybags, remove all the air, seal and freeze them. They are fine for cakes.

moleswife Mon 04-Dec-17 10:55:16

Eggs last for ages after the date given on the box - but best not to try and use the whites for meringues on old eggs because they are less likely to whip up well.

Lupatria Mon 04-Dec-17 11:04:26

according to my chef guy (he knows all about elf and safety where food and kitchens are concerned) eggs will still be ok after two months. but don't store them in the fridge.

oldgaijin Mon 04-Dec-17 11:07:11

You're right, Craftycat, the shells are brilliant preservatives. Keep eggs in a cool place but not in the fridge. When my hens went in to overdrive, I used eggs more than a month old. The whites go a little bit runny but are great for baking. We're all getting so precious about sell/use by dates...use your nose!