Gransnet forums

Food

What was the best dessert or meal you've ever eaten? And where were you when you ate it?

(113 Posts)
Orange123 Wed 31-Jan-18 23:08:52

The best dessert I've ever had was a pistachio canolli in a little cafe in Sicily. I'd gladly go back just to taste that luciousness one more time. Mmm...

hildajenniJ Wed 31-Jan-18 23:34:32

We stayed in a small hotel in Limone, Lake Garda. One evening, as a starter I had a spaghetti pie. It was gorgeous, and I've never tasted anything like it since.
As for desserts. The first time I tasted Banoffee pie was in a hotel in Blackpool. It was a taste sensation.

Marydoll Wed 31-Jan-18 23:42:20

The best meal was a plate of deep fried calamari, freshly caught, in a little cafe in Cambrils, Spain.
As for desserts, too many to mention!

Anniebach Thu 01-Feb-18 09:06:16

Marmite and lettuce sandwiches about midnight in a car on the Malvern Hills

Teetime Thu 01-Feb-18 09:10:10

Rock lobsters in Kenya! Husbands 60th birthday and the lovely people made him a huge cake and drummers accompanied it into the dining room right on the beach. Bliss!!

Lindylo Thu 01-Feb-18 10:35:14

Lobster and asparagus soup eating in Sicily and for sweet a lemon meringue pie eaten in Paris.

Nonnie Thu 01-Feb-18 11:18:14

The triple chocolate desert in our hotel in Dubai. I liked it so much we ate at a Lebanese restaurant and headed back to the hotel for pudding. I didn't see the step between the foyer and the restaurant and tripped and broke my ankle! Never forget that pudding.

gillybob Thu 01-Feb-18 11:24:14

My own homemade Cullen Skink, at my own dining table.

So bloomin' delicious I didn't want it to end.

gillybob Thu 01-Feb-18 11:25:17

....and raspberry pavlova at a pop up dinner in a little village on the Scottish borders.

Oldwoman70 Thu 01-Feb-18 12:00:59

Panna cotta at a small family run restaurant in Spain. "Mama" wasn't always in the kitchen so we would always ask when we arrived if she was there - if she was we ALWAYS had the panna cotta. Tried it in other restaurants (some award winning) but it has never been better than "Mama's"

JackyB Thu 01-Feb-18 12:10:05

I love cooking and eating meat when my DH is away. (He thinks meat will stop his heart beating or something) A simple stock/soup with meat on the bone and lots of vegetables cooked up and eaten over 2-3 days last time he was away was absolute bliss.

Otherwise, eating out - a (savoury) truffle crême brûlée. It was served as a starter at a hotel in Trier we were staying at for New Year's Eve. The taste! The feel! Ooooh truffles!

NanKate Thu 01-Feb-18 12:22:12

Shortly after DH and I met we went to a small French restaurant in Stratford upon Avon where I used to live. We ate Mont Blanc which was a base of chewy meringue filled with chestnut sauce and piped on top cream with vanilla ice cream underneath. Can taste it now. ?

Willow500 Thu 01-Feb-18 12:42:31

A steak with home made pepper sauce cooked by my son 3 years ago in NZ. I don't eat steak as I can never get it right but this was delicious - he is a trained chef though! The other was a tomato salad somewhere on holiday - the taste of the blend of basil and oil was amazing - never been able to replicate it - might have been something to do with the mozzarella I suppose but it was good!

wildswan16 Thu 01-Feb-18 13:40:17

I have no idea what it all was, but it was eaten in a street cafe in Sandakan with my son, his wife and some of their friends. A memory I treasure on these cold winter days.

Fennel Thu 01-Feb-18 15:31:52

When I was first married and having children I had a friend, at the same stage of life who was an excellent cook. She was a farmer's daughter.
She taught me how to make a variety of savoury casseroles, but the best thing she made was Sussex Pond Pudding. It's a made with a whole lemon, butter and sugar inside a suet crust. Then steamed for hours. The lemon dissolves and makes a delicious sauce.

tiredoldwoman Thu 01-Feb-18 17:08:25

Bigos in Krakow.

Greyduster Thu 01-Feb-18 18:59:39

A Royal Seafood Salad at Cookie’s Crab Shack in Norfolk. A fantastic selection of fresh caught crab, prawns, cockles, hot smoked salmon and mackerel, samphire off the marsh across the road, and a beetroot and cucumber salad. Absolute heaven! It was some years ago, and the place was a bit chaotic but that’s part of its charm. It was so popular you couldn’t get in without a booking.

Jane10 Thu 01-Feb-18 19:08:31

Crab and asparagus mille feille sitting outside a cafe on the Champs Elysee. Bliss.

Chewbacca Thu 01-Feb-18 19:10:41

Best meal was a huge fresh seafood platter at Amble Fish Shack in Northumberland.

Best dessert was a lemon and blueberry millefeuille at The Druid in Pontblyyddyn.

Morgana Thu 01-Feb-18 19:43:10

Fresh raspberries and cream in a Paris hotel. Forty plus years ago but still remember it well!

humptydumpty Thu 01-Feb-18 20:00:55

Brioche bread-and-butter pudding as part of Christmas lunch at La Strada in Center Parcs.

Day6 Thu 01-Feb-18 20:20:11

The most wonderful beef stroganoff made with cognac and flambéd at our table in a lovely old hotel dining room in Derbyshire. So memorable. It used to be our 'special restaurant', one we visited if we ever had an occasion to mark. Last we heard, it had been turned into a chain pub. sad

Menopaws Thu 01-Feb-18 20:25:53

Best steak at a very normal basic but pleasant restaurant in Port Campbell half way along Great Ocean Rd Melbourne, would not have usually had steak in a place like that, without sounding snobby but so often disappointed. It was brilliant, couldn't get it out of my mind, still can't four years later, I felt compelled to thank owner which I did.
Best dessert last year at Balmer Lawn hotel new forest, lemon cheesecake basically with delicate everything and flavour to die for in little spots of goodness knows what around the plate, still think of it. All I need is a starter and that would be my favourite ever meal

Menopaws Thu 01-Feb-18 20:28:23

No I've got the starter! Four enormous scallops with roe on delicate salad in Gorey in jersey Channel Islands , never tasted bigger or tastier and not covered in sauce, now that's really made me hungry but good thread thanks!

lemongrove Thu 01-Feb-18 20:45:10

Real Indian food (chicken curry and rice) in my best friend’s kitchen served with a cold beer and naan bread,being a vegetarian Hindu herself, she still happily cooks meat for family and friends, and her cooking skills are amazing.
Curries are fragrant and lightly spiced and made from scratch....no curry powder!

Best pud would be my own bread and butter pudding, made with choc brioche and oranges and served with clotted cream.