Gransnet forums

Food

Which is your favourite bread?Best tasting bread?

(107 Posts)
gmelon Thu 15-Feb-18 12:43:06

Following on from the comfort food thread. Bread was a favourite for many when ill .
What's your favourite bread?
Where's the best crusty bread to be found?
I discovered lidl crusty cobs over Christmas. On a mad dash to Sainsburys extra i stopped at Lidl instead and discovered this crusty treat. My family thought it delicious too.
I'm a suckered for local bakers sourdough as well.

Greyduster Thu 15-Feb-18 13:23:05

The best multiseeded bread I have tasted is the one that Sainsbury’s make in their in store bakeries. It never gets wasted in this house. I like ciabatta and focaccia also.

BBbevan Thu 15-Feb-18 13:27:58

Morrisons used to do a Polish bread. It was lovely. But I think they have now stopped making it.
Nowadays any thick lump of white bread will make me drool, as I eat low carb

Cherrytree59 Thu 15-Feb-18 13:34:18

Mine or my sisters

Bought : then I love Tiger bread.
Also sun dried tomatoes bread.
Soda bread
Actually I could write a whole list!

DH's favourite : any bread with olives or beetroot.
???

Willow500 Thu 15-Feb-18 13:55:31

I too love Sainsbury's multi grain loaf and also Lidl's diamond shaped cheese topped bread buns in the bakery. Just had one with butter for my lunch grin

humptydumpty Thu 15-Feb-18 13:59:02

Absolute favourite at the moment, M&S superseeded - yum!!

Nanabilly Thu 15-Feb-18 14:01:56

Any home made bread made the old fashioned way without a breadmaker.

Nanabilly Thu 15-Feb-18 14:02:38

Forgot to add ,we can't stand Birds bread or rolls.

Grannatu Thu 15-Feb-18 14:05:22

Birds cobs - Yum!

Nannylovesshopping Thu 15-Feb-18 14:06:55

Lidl sourdough is yummy and cheap as chips, stuffed with hot salty chips, even yummier, I am actually salivating now and it’s a long time till dinnergrin

shysal Thu 15-Feb-18 14:17:01

My local bakery do a low GI multi-seeded loaf, which is my favourite, with their cheese and Marmite a close runner-up. Of the mass produced loaves I like Tesco's three cheese bloomer, which is lovely toasted.

gmelon Thu 15-Feb-18 14:24:30

Nannylovesshopping I realise now you mention it - the Lidl sourdough- that is what we had at Christmas. One round loaf of white and one other type - seeded?
Also husband and I love a Morrisons tiger paw loaf. We love the novelty of buying it.
So crusty and well done - not the best quality bread but it tastes so lovely thick with butter. Lots of tiny crusty rolls once it is broken up.
What abut butter? Any favourites?

lemongrove Thu 15-Feb-18 14:26:33

Hovis sliced wholemeal, have tried all wholemeal bread and judge this to be the best.Tesco own multi seeded is pretty good, and so are either Tesco or Sainsbury bake your own baguettes.

Nannylovesshopping Thu 15-Feb-18 14:28:17

My favourite butter is country life spreadable, I think I could kill for a chip butty now, gmelon

Auntieflo Thu 15-Feb-18 14:56:26

Sainsburys white crusty split tin, is my favourite at the moment ?

Hm999 Thu 15-Feb-18 15:01:18

Sainsbury's multigrain. Tesco's olive bread

mollie Thu 15-Feb-18 15:05:28

The best bread is always the one you had as a kid...a fresh crusty white bloomer still warm from the bakers. Never lasted long in our house!

Scribbles Thu 15-Feb-18 15:08:28

Mostly I make my own bread and favourite is probably a light and crusty French bread. If I'm buying, then Lidl multi seeded low GI loaves are superb.
Butter? Président unsalted, without a doubt.

Nonnie Thu 15-Feb-18 15:28:48

Local bakery's Stilton and cranberry is a real treat. Don't normally eat bread but make an exception for this.

TwiceAsNice Thu 15-Feb-18 17:15:57

Granary or multi seed bread on a day to day basis. Crusty speciality bread with cheese/tomato etc as a treat . "Tiger" white bread as a fresh doorstop toasted but it's not very good for you ( or at least for me as a diabetic)!

travelsafar Thu 15-Feb-18 17:57:25

Just listening on our local radio about the processed foods which are really bad for you and they have included bread!!! I said to the OH oh well i shall have to start making our bread but thinking about it dried yeast and bread flour would also come under the heading of processed wouldn't it?? So how would you get round it?

As for our favourite butter it's got to Anchor. We use the spreadable,but i know that has things added to it which does worry me.I tried buying the hard blocks of butter as that has nothing added and found that we used more as forgot to take out of fridge to soften and had to cut chunks off like cheese to try and spread. Or if i left it out on the worktop to keep soft it went off!!

Niobe Thu 15-Feb-18 18:16:04

Familiar to those North of the border in Scotland it has to be Mother's Pride Plain white bread toasted and spread with Lurpak butter. Nothing else comes close!

SueDonim Thu 15-Feb-18 19:01:20

My own bread is best!

Failing that, Warburton's Toastie in the green wrapper is excellent. It's hard to find so we buy it when we see it.

Suki70 Thu 15-Feb-18 20:09:42

Sainsbury's In store bakery walnut bread. Trouble is, it's far too moreish!

NonnaW Thu 15-Feb-18 21:06:22

My own whole meal bread, or any home made bread. Otherwise Tesco olive or Mediterranean bread. Scribbles do you have a recipe for your french bread please? I’d love to try it. I’ve today made a honey & oat bread, the recipe for which was in the DT on Saturday, it’s lovely.