Gransnet forums

Food

Keeping out the cold

(29 Posts)
NanKate Thu 01-Mar-18 16:51:02

What food or drink do you have to keep out the cold?

We are having bacon, egg, mushrooms, baked beans, sausage and eggy bread for DH.

MissAdventure Thu 01-Mar-18 16:53:54

That sounds lovely! We're having chicken casserole with mashed potatoes.

tanith Thu 01-Mar-18 16:54:56

I'm making spotted dick served with lashings of custard for pudding tonight . That'll stick to OHs ribs ??

merlotgran Thu 01-Mar-18 17:11:06

I've been cooking casserole type comfort food all week and tonight I just can't be bothered so having spotted NanKate's OP we're having sausages, baked beans, chips, eggs and mushrooms.

I don't care how unhealthy it is. grin

Oopsadaisy12 Thu 01-Mar-18 17:43:58

We’ve just had home made chicken soup, I threw some dumplings in it and put some pieces of crispy bacon on the top and it was lush, told DH that tomorrow we would go for a walk in the snow and come home and finish up the soup, he said he would prefer just to do the latter part of that sentence.
Oh and a glass of wine has just appeared....

hildajenniJ Thu 01-Mar-18 17:46:35

We had home made lentil soup followed by burgers and chips. At the moment DGS 2 and I are waiting for the bread machine to finish the dough and then we are going to make coconut milk sugar buns. They taste as good as they sound.

Coolgran65 Thu 01-Mar-18 18:04:11

I have 2 dgc with me today and have made stew with dumplings and crusty bread. They've never had dumplings before and just loved them.

1974cookie Thu 01-Mar-18 18:22:50

OOOhhh Dumplings.
Nothing, absolutely nothing, improves a soup, stew or casserole in weather like we are experiencing than a good 'Rib Sticking' dumpling. One of the best comfort foods ever.
A warm hug in a bowl.

Auntieflo Thu 01-Mar-18 18:34:43

We've just had a spicy jambalaya. I overcooked it rather, the rice a bit stodgy, but it went down well. This morning I made a quick and easy fruit cake, that also went down a treat.

Pittcity Thu 01-Mar-18 18:44:38

You can't beat stew and dumplings in this weather. We make it to use up any past it's best veg so it's money saving too!

NanKate Fri 02-Mar-18 07:06:21

It’s fish, chips and peas today with a touch of tartare sauce. Not a lettuce leaf in sight.

Grannyknot Fri 02-Mar-18 07:22:35

I lean towards spicy food when it's cold - gets the circulation going. So we had "Mexican Mince" with paprika, cumin and chilli, with black beans in. I also overcooked the rice a bit Flo so I just call it "Sticky Rice". smile

morethan2 Fri 02-Mar-18 07:27:43

I’ve been making lots of soup for my husband to take to work in a flask. I do wonder if it’s worth the effort when you can open a carton or tin.

jenpax Fri 02-Mar-18 07:51:24

I had a vegetarian chilli last night with remainder for my lunch at work today bulked our by some home made garlic bread.
I too go for spicy food in cold weather❄️ though also, now I think about it, all year?
yesterday I made one of my favourite quick supper dishes of pasta tossed in garlic infused olive oil,with sautéed courgettes, onions and mushrooms (also sautéed in olive oil) and with garlic pepper added liberally, while cooking and then all added to the pan of pasta with the addition of some chive flavoured cheese, melted in for a bit and then serve! It’s so tasty?

Greyduster Fri 02-Mar-18 07:58:37

We have DH’s signature bean and bacon soup today with crusty bread. It’s very filling and tasty. morethan home made soup is always worth the effort ?. There are fish pies in the freezer and cauliflower cheese to fall back on. Over the weekend there will be home made chicken curry.

jusnoneed Fri 02-Mar-18 08:37:47

I did roast chicken last night so will probably be making a curry with the leftovers for today.

Auntieflo Fri 02-Mar-18 08:47:13

Grannyknot, thank you for that. I shall tell DH tonight when we eat the leftovers grin

sodapop Fri 02-Mar-18 09:02:29

Dumplings just hit the spot in this weather, lovely.
We have friends coming over tonight so it's scallops with haggis and pea puree, duck breasts, raspberry pain perdu.
Light diet over the weekend then ☺

hildajenniJ Fri 02-Mar-18 09:43:13

I'm just about to start another pan of soup. DH requested more of the same lentil soup. This time, I'm adding tomatoes and smoked paprika, for a more barbecue type flavour.

KatyK Fri 02-Mar-18 10:57:08

DH has made some leek and potato soup. Yum. Last night as we were in a bit of a rush we had baked potatoes, bacon and beans. Lovely.

shysal Fri 02-Mar-18 12:24:37

It has been home-made soup all the way for me as I am watching the calories. Unfortunately I keep craving rice pudding. If I make Mary Berry's family size version I could eat it all in a day. Resisting so far!

cavewoman Fri 02-Mar-18 12:38:33

I've had a bowl of homemade soup every day this year,far exceeding my daily vitamin C quota.
I'm convinced that's why I,m still standing whilst EVERYONE I see on a daily basis have been dropping like flies with all these flu bugs etc.
In fact I've never felt better..... (touching wood!)

Nonnie Fri 02-Mar-18 13:38:35

I don't often wish I was still doing the cooking but reading the above and looking out the window I could wish to do it now. I couldn't believe it when DH gave me salad on Tuesday! Snow has started heavily again and no comfort food in sight. Did have porridge for breakfast though.

ginny Fri 02-Mar-18 16:04:56

Leek and potato home made soup at lunchtime.
Chicken casserole with dumplings tonight.

GillT57 Fri 02-Mar-18 18:35:02

Home made soup every day this week, and a lovely fruity crumble with porridge oats topping. And lashings of custard.