Gransnet forums

Food

Salad Cream

(63 Posts)
Pittcity Tue 05-Jun-18 22:10:33

I love a salad cream sandwich, but the announcement that Heinz may rename Salad Cream as Sandwich Cream is a step too far.

lemongrove Tue 05-Jun-18 22:16:10

Do you mean you put it on your salad sarnie Pittcity ?

Salad cream reminds me of childhood, a plate with some limp lettuce leaves, half a tomato, half a boiled egg and a couple of slices of tongue (yuk.)

They are renaming everything now, trying to make things cool.I haven’t recovered from calling Nestles ‘ Nestlay’ grin

Coolgran65 Tue 05-Jun-18 22:18:02

Mmmm... salad cream and pickled beetroot sandwich.

Pittcity Tue 05-Jun-18 22:19:06

No just bread, butter and salad cream! Yum!

hildajenniJ Tue 05-Jun-18 22:21:08

Sandwich cream??? To go with Sandwich Spread perhaps!!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.??

lemongrove Tue 05-Jun-18 22:29:42

Oh I see, I have never tried that, although I used to love sandwich spread when young.

DanniRae Tue 05-Jun-18 23:02:01

I love salad cream on my salad, in a salad sandwich or mixed with hard boiled egg in a sandwich - better than mayonnaise! Does anyone else like a Branston Pickle sandwich? Nothing else just the pickle smile

SueDonim Tue 05-Jun-18 23:07:17

Oh yes, Coolgran, beetroot & salad cream! Yum. It goes such a pretty shade of pink.

My French DIL prefers SC to mayonnaise! grin

absent Wed 06-Jun-18 06:27:36

I reckon salad cream is about a seven and a half – no a ten – on my list of disgusting foods. However, having spent my professional life in the world of recipe writing, I could give you a more or less tolerable recipe for it.

seacliff Wed 06-Jun-18 06:31:47

Not for me, prefer cheese, celery and mayo OR cheese and crisps sandwich.

My sister always loved those tins of Heinz vegetable salad! Salad in a tinsmile

gillybob Wed 06-Jun-18 06:42:39

I love salad cream in a proper (crisp) salad sandwich. I also enjoy sandwich spread just on its own or with a slice of cheese .

ninathenana Wed 06-Jun-18 06:48:20

Cheese, tomato and salad cream sandwiches yum !
I love branston on a ham sandwich but gag at the thought of branston on it's own Danni

M0nica Wed 06-Jun-18 07:25:25

I use salad cream because I do not like mayonnaise, it always tastes very bland.I think it is the 'cut' of the vinegar in salad cream that I prefer.

I use it wherever one would otherwise use mayonnaise; on raw salad, veg in made up salads, in sandwiches, but mainly on salads. For me it is salad cream because that is what I use it in. Sandwich cream?

If it ain't broke, why fix it?

seacliff Wed 06-Jun-18 07:31:59

Why are Heinz renaming this I wonder? Surely not for the UK market? We don't like changes with long established brands and recipes.

Pittcity Wed 06-Jun-18 07:41:47

It's Marathon, Jif, Ulay and Opal Fruits again!

Greyduster Wed 06-Jun-18 08:03:44

They can call it what they like, I still won’t eat it. I’m firmly in the mayonnaise camp. Having said that, Heinz mayonnaise is pretty awful too!

Auntieflo Wed 06-Jun-18 08:35:31

Exactly M0nica. By the way, wasn't Salad Cream taken off the market a while ago, then brought back because of an outcry?
I like it as a change

M0nica Wed 06-Jun-18 08:39:57

Just heard this on the news. It seems only 14% use salad cream on salad. The rest use it on sandwiches.

However, the product is ubiquitous so the chances of anyone looking at it on a shelf and thinking 'Oh dear, I cannot use that in a sandwich, it is only for salads' just because it is called salad cream not sandwich cream, must be infinitesimal to vanishing point

Fennel Wed 06-Jun-18 08:46:19

How is salad cream different from mayo? Just more vinegar?

Charleygirl Wed 06-Jun-18 08:59:18

I am in agreement with lemongrove double yuck.

I hate salad cream

Squiffy Wed 06-Jun-18 09:28:43

I can't help thinking that this is just an advertising/marketing ploy, disguised as a (pretend) name change! Not that I'm cynical you understand wink

Let's face it, it's brought a lot of attention and will, almost certainly, bring plenty of £££ along with it!

Daddima Wed 06-Jun-18 09:42:06

My mother loved Salad Cream, Heinz vegetable salad, Heinz potato salad, and piccalilli. I still can’t bear the thought of eating any of them!
They accompanied the ‘ salad tea’ in summer, which was rolled up cooked ham, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and boiled egg. Chips were the usual accompaniment, but it could be crisps if it was really hot.

Lark21 Wed 06-Jun-18 09:47:42

I wonder if it is a publicity stunt by Heinz? Massive outrage at proposed name change - company backs down - it stays as Salad Cream and huge increase in sales

pollyperkins Wed 06-Jun-18 09:54:14

Fennel I'm glad you asked that. I always thought they were more or less the same thing and that mayonnaise is the posh upmarket name for salad cream. I'm obviously wrong !

sarahellenwhitney Wed 06-Jun-18 10:04:28

Crispy lettuce, tomato, and cucumber sandwiches dripping with Heinz salad cream , followed by a lemon curd and cream Victoria sponge cake brings back childhood memories of a weekend summer tea on my father's sister's lawn. Why do my sandwiches never taste as good.?