Gransnet forums

Food

Frozen fish

(70 Posts)
Izabella Mon 17-Sep-18 14:02:42

We recently moved and alas no longer have access to our wonderful fresh fish man. I wondered if anyone gets frozen fish from the well known chain *land as we have one in town. If so is it good?

Willow500 Mon 17-Sep-18 14:06:39

It's years since we've had a fresh fish man in our area so I've had frozen fish from Iceland or bought it fresh from the supermarket then frozen it. Always been fine as long as it's well wrapped up.

JudyJudy12 Mon 17-Sep-18 14:59:16

I rarely but fresh fish as I like the convenience of eating when I fancy it. I buy from Iceland and Tesco, does it say somewhere we cannot mention brands?they are both very good.

Nanagem Mon 17-Sep-18 15:51:07

Like Judy I normally buy frozen fish, always worry about it being fresh and frozen seems safer. Normally tesco

Welshwife Mon 17-Sep-18 16:33:04

You can cook fish from frozen too. I often find the frozen variety stays together better than the fresh one which can fall apart as you dish it out.

Teetime Mon 17-Sep-18 16:33:27

Iceland has a very good selection at a good price and I have always found it very good.

M0nica Mon 17-Sep-18 16:47:55

Ever since we moved to our current house over 20 years ago, we have had a local business that sells boxes of beautiful fresh frozen fish, ring me regularly and delivers my order to the door.

The business has changed hands a few times and has now been incorporated into a company that does, top quality ready meals. I still just buy the fish. It is not cheap but it is better than any fish I have ever seen in a supermarket or frozen food retailer.

We did have a fresh fish company come round once and I tried their fish out and lived to regret it. It was not that fresh and I threw a lot of it away.

OldMeg Mon 17-Sep-18 17:03:49

Yes, always have fish in the freezer as a standbye.

kittylester Mon 17-Sep-18 17:10:05

Lots of villages round here (North Leicestershire) have a fish van once a week. The one that comes to our village every monday is very good. I buy from him and freeze but if I miss him, I buy from Sainsbury's and freeze.

I wonder if you could locate a fish van.

OldMeg Mon 17-Sep-18 17:15:45

We have loads of fish vans around here, in fact it’s a bit like the Cod War, as they are always trying to poach customers. Don’t find them all that much cheaper though.

BlueBelle Mon 17-Sep-18 17:30:23

It’s funny as I live in a ( once) fishing town but we have no fish man van or shop apart from supermarkets
I m not too much of a fish person but if I did buy any it would be frozen

Nonnie Mon 17-Sep-18 17:33:08

Just started buying frozen fish and no complaint. Stock is limited but if it is the type of fish you like then it is probably cheaper than fresh and almost certainly fresher. It has been frozen straight from the catch and not had to travel through a logistics company.

Last week I made a lovely fish pie from a mixed frozen pack which included mussels, squid and prawns. I did add a piece of frozen salmon to add bulk but the whole thing was rather good.

kittylester Mon 17-Sep-18 17:40:27

Our fish can is zefinitwky not cheaper but really good quality and more choice than Sainsbury's!

Grannyknot Mon 17-Sep-18 17:57:34

kitty your autocorrect is hilarious grin

I buy frozen fish (cod) from Iceland and it's pretty good.

Fennel Mon 17-Sep-18 17:57:56

Well I'm a fish snob. I wouldn't buy frozen fish in a pack - I've tried it before and all the flavour drains out when it thaws, imo anyway.
I accept that most if not all sea-caught fish is iced after it's caught, but usually not for so long.
The most likely to be fresh is locally farmed trout or salmon.
Also oily fish survives freezing better than white fish. Much more flavour.
The best fish I ever tasted was some herrings caught that morning when we were on holiday in Scotland.

Grannyknot Mon 17-Sep-18 18:20:48

I think most fish (and also chicken) has very little flavour, which is why we have a multitude of sauces and marinades and dickying up recipes to do with both.

I remember once on holiday we drove for miles to a fancy fish restaurant to eat their speciality - turbot - and it was 'orrible.

I mostly use frozen fish in curries or stirfries. As someone said upstream grin it seems to stay intact better.

Izabella Tue 18-Sep-18 10:54:26

thanks everyone. Will give Iceland a try and keep looking for fresh fish locally.

grin upstream Grannyknot. Love it.

rockgran Tue 18-Sep-18 11:25:00

I thought all commercial fish was frozen at sea. I would always buy frozen as I think it is probably safer. Actually I think frozen fruit and veg are probably fresher too.

kittylester Tue 18-Sep-18 11:26:14

GK, I really should learn to do one thing at a time - it's much safer that way!! grin

humptydumpty Tue 18-Sep-18 11:57:00

I believe frozen fish may be like frozen veg - i.e. fresher than the unfrozen version because it's frozen immediately instead of being transported across however many miles before being sold.

JackyB Tue 18-Sep-18 12:14:19

As I live in the middle of the continent - 1000 km from any coast in any direction, I always buy frozen fish, as I had heard, too, that it was frozen on the boat, so is fresher than any wet fish that is available.

I usually cook it from frozen in the microwave, which preserves the flavour well. Haddock is our present favourite - a nice meaty texture and a creamy taste. (Smoked haddock is unknown in Germany, but I like to have some when I visit the UK)

Fennel Tue 18-Sep-18 12:19:03

Jaccky - Strangely, smoked haddock is available in France. The call it 'Addock. Unsmoked is called eglefin.

JackyB Tue 18-Sep-18 12:21:26

Ooh - I'm going to France next weekend - I'll have a look if we get a chance to go shopping.

ninathenana Tue 18-Sep-18 12:28:02

Haven't read the whole thread and may have been said but if you prefer fresh our local Tesco and Asda have a wet fish counter which sell lovely fish

sparkly1000 Tue 18-Sep-18 13:06:44

My OH is a fishmonger who tells me that trawlers that fish in British waters just chill the catch, it's kept on ice until it goes for auction. The exception being Turbot which is frozen at sea as it goes off very quickly. If it has been pre-frozen it will say on the packaging.
The majority of tuna sold here is caught in the Mid-Atlantic or Pacific Ocean and frozen on factory ships as they can remain at sea for up to 3 months at a time.