Gransnet forums

Food

Salted caramel

(69 Posts)
Doodle Sun 04-Nov-18 13:27:20

Where has this fad for salted caramel come from? We are being urged to cut down on salt and sugar intake but now the latest trend is to put salt in our desserts and sweets too.

MawBroon Sun 04-Nov-18 13:27:58

Do you think it is intended to sound “ edgier” and less sweet?

MissAdventure Sun 04-Nov-18 13:28:28

Oh its nice though!
I hadn't thought of the salt content, I must admit.

Doodle Sun 04-Nov-18 13:35:06

DH (along with many others I imagine) has to be on a very low salt diet which is probably why we notice it more than others might. Most restaurants now have at least one 'salted' something on the menu.
I expect it would be a bit 'edgier' for him maw it would make his blood pressure shoot up grin

BlueBelle Sun 04-Nov-18 13:57:47

Salted caremel coffee ohhhh lovely do limit myself though

Craicon Sun 04-Nov-18 15:20:23

I think it just offers consumers a wider variety of tastes, and maybe it’s a bit like when they introduced chilli chocolate. Probably not something that would have been considered palatable 20 years ago.

Baggs Sun 04-Nov-18 15:53:26

Salted caramel is lovely. Why shouldn't we put it in appropriate foods? We add chocolate to biscuits and cakes. Why not salted caramel?

Nobody is going to force you to eat it if you don't want to because you think it's bad for you.

TerriBull Sun 04-Nov-18 15:53:43

I love salted caramel, I congratulate the person who dreamed up such a diametrically opposed combination, it works for me every time smile

GrandmaKT Sun 04-Nov-18 16:36:41

I know it's not a healthy combination, but anyone looking for an occasional treat - Morrisons frozen salted caramel profiterole gateau is bloody lovely! (and only £4).

Doodle Sun 04-Nov-18 20:28:03

My comments were really about how it seems to have become a craze all of a sudden and seems to be everywhere at the moment. I agree Baggs no one has to eat it just like no one has to eat lots of sugar but that doesn't stop the powers that be trying to force companies to cut down on the amount of sugar they put in cereals etc.

grannyticktock Sun 04-Nov-18 20:51:38

I have always put a little salt in anything caramel or butterscotch that I made, it just seemed obvious to me. All they've done now is make it a little saltier. In most cases the total salt is probably less signficant than the salt you'd find in soups or sausages.
Aldi do a very dark chocolate with salt. I love it but one piece is plenty, it's very satisfying.

Greyduster Sun 04-Nov-18 21:14:15

I’m convinced I’m the only person on Earth who hates salted caramel. I’ve loved butterscotch from being a child, but salted caramel is an aberration.
Dives back behind the sandbags!

JustGrandma Sun 04-Nov-18 21:28:05

Greyduster you are not alone! Fudge/toffee/caramel are my favourite mouth feels. I far prefer them to chocolate. Eating a salted version of caramel is just WRONG! I put it in my mouth and expect creamy sweetness and then get the taste of sea water!! Yuck. It tastes to me like someone has mistakenly put salt in instead of sugar when they were making it. Having said that, I had some salt water taffy in New England and that was ok. But caramel to me should be buttery, creamy and sweet.

jacq10 Sun 04-Nov-18 22:44:59

I love it! I noticed that one of the packet mix for Brownies had salted caramel in it and I have copied this when making my own. Family love them so I don't get the chance to overindulge myself. Lidl have jars of it on offer just now.

Jalima1108 Sun 04-Nov-18 23:31:52

The best ice cream I ever had was a salted caramel cornet from a little shop in Tenby. I'd never heard of salted caramel before then, it was a new flavour.

Jalima1108 Sun 04-Nov-18 23:32:33

It shouldn't be too salty

shysal Mon 05-Nov-18 11:14:33

My grandmother used to say 'a pinch of salt in everything except custard'. I think caramel may have been salted in the past but not mentioned in the description.
On Phoenix's recommendation I tried and loved Lidl SC ice cream cones. I haven't seen them for a while, probably just as well!

Jalima1108 Mon 05-Nov-18 11:17:33

I had porridge with a pinch of salt this morning, topped with a teaspoonful of honey.

Izabella Mon 05-Nov-18 12:07:55

I am on a lo (basically no salt) diet and was recently given porridge with added salt. So averse am I to the taste now after all these years that I heaved and was nearly sick. My host could not understand how I could even tell there was salt in it (a miniscule amount apparently.) I have since been told it is the proper way to take porridge. Perhaps, and I have no problem with that. My gripe is why anyone would add "a tiny pinch" (?) knowing it was medically contraindicated?

Doodle Mon 05-Nov-18 20:06:11

I found salted caramel oats in the health food shop today. Needless to say it won't be going in my porridge. My problem is I love salt I could eat savoury things all day and still crave more. As you say Izabella if you have been told no salt and you get used to that you can taste it straight away in anything.

PamelaJ1 Mon 05-Nov-18 20:49:47

I’m with the minority. It’s horrible.

MissAdventure Mon 05-Nov-18 20:51:40

For anyone who haunt tried it, the sweet and salty popcorn is really nice, if your taste is that way inclined.

MissAdventure Mon 05-Nov-18 20:58:29

Haunt? Hasn't!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 06-Nov-18 09:16:40

I love salted caramel. And sweet and salty popcorn. Before it was 'invented' we always used to ask for a mix if we bought it at the cinema

merlotgran Tue 06-Nov-18 09:44:15

Salted caramel ice cream is heaven on earth.

I've never had a sweet tooth but love ice cream so long as it doesn't have a sickly flavour.