Gransnet forums

Food

Chicken safe 3rd day?

(53 Posts)
annep Sun 25-Nov-18 18:35:47

Roasted chicken Saturday night to eat Saturday and Sunday. change of plans. So lots left in fridge Would it be safe to eat tomorrow. Or bin? I'm with bin. DH thinks its fine. thanks.

Grannynise Sun 25-Nov-18 18:39:43

I think if you've kept it covered and in the fridge it will be absolutely fine. I would eat it for sure.

Fennel Sun 25-Nov-18 18:45:26

Are you serious?
Definitely eat it. I've kept and eaten cooked chicken longer than that, many times. No problems.
I have no words, no wonder there's food poverty.

etheltbags1 Sun 25-Nov-18 19:01:54

Years ago when there were no fridges we kept out Christmas chicken on the kitchen table for a week.there was no heating in those days. After the week the bones were made into stock. No one got ill. Noro virus was unheard of

cornergran Sun 25-Nov-18 19:13:38

Certainly eat it. If it’s been in the fridge, looks a good colour and smells as it should I’d have no worries at all.

EllanVannin Sun 25-Nov-18 19:26:40

It will be fine as it will have been only left for 2 days since cooking it.
Whenever I cook chicken which is a Saturday for Sunday, I usually finish it on Monday or even Tuesday,curried.

B9exchange Sun 25-Nov-18 19:33:33

Absolutely eat it, chicken cooked at the weekend is eaten any time up until Thursday during the week. You can even freeze it as long as you heat it through thoroughly when you need it.

FlexibleFriend Sun 25-Nov-18 19:34:40

Well a roast chicken in this house always lasts more than 3 days so as long as your fridge is set to the right temperature it will be fine.

BlueBelle Sun 25-Nov-18 19:58:57

Good grief nothing wrong with that eaten it much older than that if it smells good it eats good

annep Sun 25-Nov-18 20:38:59

Thanks everyone. appreciated. I'm very nervous with food.

Doodle Sun 25-Nov-18 20:41:28

I cook chicken every week and leave it in the fridge and eat it over three days. No problem as long as it's in fridge and covered.

annep Sun 25-Nov-18 20:41:43

I got food poisoning few years ago from lukewarm chicken soup. was going to heat it in the oven again. Is that ok?

grannyticktock Sun 25-Nov-18 20:54:30

I wouldn't reheat a chicken carcase in the oven. By the time you've got it hot enough to kill bacteria, it will have dried up quite a bit more. Remove all the meat from the carcase (using the bones for stock if you like) and then either eat the meat cold, or reheat it thoroughly in a cooked dish such as risotto or a pie. If you have whole slices you'd prefer to serve hot, put them in a covered dish with some gravy or stock and heat thoroughly in the oven or the microwave.

Bathsheba Sun 25-Nov-18 20:55:25

If you're nervous with food, particularly meat, then I would recommend you buy yourself a meat thermometer. Then you could see for yourself that any reheated meat is thoroughly heated right through to the centre. And as long as it is, it'll be fine.
Heavens, my mum used to make a joint last all week, recooking it into pies and stews. And I always use up chicken for at least 4 days, as long as it's kept in the fridge.

Bathsheba Sun 25-Nov-18 20:56:40

Agree with everything grannyticktock said smile

Farmor15 Sun 25-Nov-18 21:08:11

As a microbiologist, I’d agree with grannyticktock’s advice. I definitely wouldn’t put in oven to reheat. The main danger from chicken is not cooking properly in the first place. Once fully cooked, there is little danger from food poisoning, if kept in fridge, even for as long as a week.

Menopaws Sun 25-Nov-18 21:09:48

Well cooked, in fridge, will be fine

Grannyben Sun 25-Nov-18 21:10:56

My tried and trusted method is to give food a good sniff and, if it smells ok, try a little nibble before you tuck in

Melanieeastanglia Sun 25-Nov-18 21:43:42

I think it will be fine.

annep Sun 25-Nov-18 22:04:41

Thanks so much everyone. How have I reached 67 without knowing this? I have wasted so much! So good to have Gransnet.
Incidentally the lukewarm soup was not mine. We were staying in a (supposedly) good hotel. And I remember saying to my husband its not very warm. It didn't occur to me that it would poison me. Was sick all night long.

NfkDumpling Sun 25-Nov-18 22:08:46

If you buy cooked chicken slices it has a three day use by date and I’ve heard it’s a safe at least a day beyond that if kept refrigerated. But I too agree with grannyticktock re re-heating.

Luckygirl Sun 25-Nov-18 22:21:50

In this house:
Day One - roast chicken dinner
Day Two - cold chicken breast with salad
Day Three - chicken stew/curry.

I have done this most weeks for years and we are still here! smile

phoenix Sun 25-Nov-18 22:24:31

Good grief!

You would be horrified by what I do with my turkey!

Roast, then cold with bubble and squeak, then cold with chips, then made into a pie along with some of the left over gammon, only on on the 5th day do any left overs get put into the freezer!

Been doing this for over 30 years, never poisoned or made any one ill yet.

Sensible food hygiene, if you are going to re-heat it, then pretty damn hot (as in my pie, needs a good high temp to get the pastry lovely and crispy and golden) and make sure your fridge is set correctly cold enough.

grannyticktock Sun 25-Nov-18 22:27:13

And, Nfkdumpling, you can bet that the prepacked cooked chicken you buy in a shop hasn't been carved from a freshly cooked chicken on the day you buy it, it's probably already a few days old. Admittedly the sealed packaging will help, but cooked meat is safe for quite a few days.
My mother used to make the Christmas turkey last until New Year, when the last of it would appear in vol-au-vents. No one was ill.

BlueBelle Sun 25-Nov-18 22:28:59

I m afraid I m not very careful at all I use my nose and if it smells ok I eat it I ve neve4 used theometers or any other gadget just my snozzle
Was the soup made from uncooked chicken then ? Surely ordinary soup reheated but not very warm wouldn’t cause a problem ?