Gransnet forums

Food

Anyone remember Bemax

(34 Posts)
Floradora9 Wed 19-Dec-18 11:50:17

I remember my father eating it every morning . I cannot say I ate it too but it sticks in my memory. I looked it up and it is no longer made but Jordans Natural Wheatgerm is similar.

BBbevan Thu 20-Dec-18 20:12:57

I had a soap Brumas. I was 5 and took it everywhere with me
Was nimble advertised with a woman in a hot air balloon ?

lemongrove Thu 20-Dec-18 20:20:17

Never heard of Bemax, so we obviously didn’t have any as children.My Mother ( thin as a whip naturally) used to have Nimble bread, Ryvitas and PLJ, when in fact she should actually have eaten more, not less!
I do remember malt and cod liver oil ( yummy) and Fennings Fever Cure ( not so yummy).Also Beechams Powders and Bile Beans.grin Happy Days!

Chewbacca Thu 20-Dec-18 22:38:55

Beechams Powders were in little folds of white greaseproof paper and tasted vile. My mother used to mix one with a bit of water, in a spoon, and make us drink it if we had a cold. Why did we get medicated with so much stuff back then? And most of it tasted horrendous!

NfkDumpling Fri 21-Dec-18 07:42:32

Kaolin and Morphine for diarrhoea. Its amazing how we’ve survived!

My DM was always very active, very overweight and lived on salads, Nimble, Energen and PLG. They didn’t work!

Auntieflo Fri 21-Dec-18 09:02:02

Chewbacca I used to like Beechams Powders and would tip the powder straight onto my tongue, before swallowing . I thought it tasted of cinnamon? maybe.
I remember Nimble bread, and it's shaped top in little bumps and grooves. That's the only way I can think of to describe it.
The last bottle of Kaolin and Morphine I bought, had to be recorded in a book behind the counter.

Mapleleaf Fri 21-Dec-18 13:19:12

Yes, it was, BBbevan.
It was pretty tasteless, if memory serves me right.
Lemongrove, my Mum was the same. Very slim, but convinced she needed to watch her weight. She also used to eat ryvita and another crisp bread thing that looked like rounds of toast. Not much nutrition in any of them on their own, I would think. Having said that, I quite enjoy ryvitas!

EllanVannin Fri 21-Dec-18 14:00:06

Ryvita's are like eating cardboard, they haven't half changed, like everything else, sadly.

Fennel Fri 21-Dec-18 14:44:01

I have Ryvitas with Marmite and cheese every evening for my supper.
My Mum used to have All Bran on her breakfast cereal all her life.
"Helps Keep You Regular!"