Gransnet forums

Food

What are your 3 ‘go to’ family suppers?

(173 Posts)
Urmstongran Wed 23-Jan-19 09:48:18

I made dinner last night and got to thinking of my usual favourite suppers that I make on a fairly regular basis. Nothing fancy (as for a special occasion) just ordinary dinners.

Mine are:

1. Chilli & rice
2. Hungarian goulash a la Delia
3. a pork, apple, sage & onion dish topped with cheesy mash and served with green cabbage.

What are yours?

Gonegirl Wed 23-Jan-19 17:24:33

Beef Lasagne.

Cottage Pie.

Meatballs and pasta in tomato-ey sauce.

All with extra veg on the side, and all courtesy of Charlie Bigham/Mr Ocado.

harrigran Wed 23-Jan-19 17:24:38

Spaghetti matriciana
Cottage pie
Plain dover sole with saute potatoes.

phoenix Wed 23-Jan-19 17:42:24

Urmstongran please provide a recipe for the third dish on your list, please!

ninathenana Wed 23-Jan-19 18:36:50

Spag bol
Cottage pie
Chicken tray bake

Kittye Wed 23-Jan-19 18:55:20

Gonegirl have you tried Charlie Bighams ChickenKiev?delicious!
Cottage pie
Sausage and mash
Lasagne

sodapop Wed 23-Jan-19 19:00:31

One of my favourite meals is made up from all the left over veg etc from the previous day's roast dinner in a large Yorkshire pudding with lashings of proper gravy - yummy.

jusnoneed Wed 23-Jan-19 19:10:50

Curry, usually Chicken, with homemade flatbreads.
Chilli with rice.
Chinese made up of stir fry chicken/veggies/noodles, and pork marinated in soy/garlic.

Gonegirl Wed 23-Jan-19 19:12:13

Haven't tried that one Kittye. Will have a look. Do you have to do anything with it? I do like the just stick it in the oven ones.

Kittye Wed 23-Jan-19 19:22:16

Gonegirl just stick them in the oven. They’re in little wooden trays.

Scribbles Wed 23-Jan-19 19:22:34

UrmstonGran, Pan Haggerty: grease a deepish oven dish and add a layer each of sliced potato, sliced onion, sliced tasty cheese (I use vintage cheddar) seasoned with a little pepper. Repeat layers and top with a final layer of sliced potato. Cover and put in the oven, Mark 3 for about 2 hours and 30min until well cooked. If you like, remove the lid and turn up the gas for a final few minutes to crisp the top.
Lovely served with crispy fried bacon or topped with a fried egg or just on its own.

It also works well in the slow cooker or on the stove top in a heavy bottomed pan over a low heat.

It's a great standby if you don't know for sure what time someone will be home because the longer it stays in the oven, the tastier it gets! (You may want to turn down the heat a little if they're really late).

Kittye Wed 23-Jan-19 19:24:14

sodapop will try the leftover veg in Yorkshire. Sounds good.

Gonegirl Wed 23-Jan-19 19:25:54

Yes. We use the wooden boxes for kindling. ? nothing wasted. It's just that with one or two of them you have to do it in two stages which almost defeats the object. (I am a very lazy girl) Will pop the Chicken Kiev on next week's order.

Kittye Wed 23-Jan-19 19:28:04

Gonegirl think I may have misunderstood you? You mean accompaniments? It’s just the chicken so yes you’d need to do veggies

Gonegirl Wed 23-Jan-19 19:31:24

No. Can't remember which one it was, but you had a separate sachet of sauce that you had to add partway through, stir it, and put it back in the oven. Told you I am lazy. ?

Gonegirl Wed 23-Jan-19 19:31:58

Mind you, it was lovely!

Cherrytree59 Wed 23-Jan-19 19:45:43

All one pot or tray.
Hate washing up

Roasted vegetables, garlic, chorizo with fish usually cod on top.

Slow cooker spanish type stew with onions
Pork (belly draft), chorizo,
2 tins cannalini beans, passata, garlic, herbs and spices or if in hurry omit passata and use a Spanish chicken cook-in sauce.

Homemade soup with homemade bread and/or croutons.

Iam64 Wed 23-Jan-19 19:58:42

veggie - chilli with brown rice

veggie. - pasta sauce, like spaghetti bog but with courgettes, carrots, onions, celery, green beans etc etc with brown pasta

oily fish, free range salmon or sword fish, with brown rice cooked with loads of veg.

Lazigirl Wed 23-Jan-19 20:01:05

I am a fan of Charlie Bingham's and will you stop using my moniker Gonegirl grin

Gonegirl Wed 23-Jan-19 20:03:19

That just occurred to me Lazigirl, when I saw a post of yours' on another thread. ? Sorry! Didn't mean to.

BBbevan Wed 23-Jan-19 20:12:01

As I eat low-carb:

Cabbage Carbonara
Fennel sausage with cauliflower mash
Steak with veg or salad

paddyann Wed 23-Jan-19 20:15:49

recipe please for cabbage carbonara ,its sound interesting .I'm considering going back to being veggie...well my type so eggs cheese and cream allowed

BlueBelle Wed 23-Jan-19 20:28:46

I don’t do special vegi dishes I just cook without adding meat ?
I m no great cook so stir fries with a variety of veg tofu spices and flavours whatever’s nearest to my hand
Jacket potatoes or rice and some concoction I dont ever have set meals in mind I just put together what’s in the fridge/cupboard and come up with something usually tasty for me
I ve never thought of it as supper though that was always a biscuit and a glass of milk before bed

BBbevan Wed 23-Jan-19 20:35:13

Cabbage Carbonara

1 pointy cabbage finely shredded
4-6 washers of Smokey bacon
Mushrooms to taste
Cream
1 egg

Boil the shredded cabbage until nearly soft. Drain and put to one side
Cut the bacon into strips and fry, adding the mushrooms.
Remove and keep warm.
Fry the cabbage in the bacon fat. Then add the bacon and mushrooms
Pour in a good dollop of double cream. Stir. Check seasoning. Remove from heat and stir in an egg.
You can add other things, such as courgettes strips, onions etc

Allegretto Wed 23-Jan-19 23:43:50

Stir fried vegetables with chicken or beef or salmon (& rice or noodles)
Chilli
Curry (usually chicken)

Bathsheba Thu 24-Jan-19 09:11:12

I’m loving all these ideas - think I’m going to give the cabbage carbonara a go, it sounds lovely!