Gransnet forums

Food

Cauliflower cheese

(171 Posts)
Anja Wed 13-Feb-19 08:31:39

When my SiL came to pick the grandchildren up after work yesterday he asked conversationally (he’s chatty like that)

‘What are you having for tea?’

I said ‘Cauliflower and broccoli cheese’.

He wanted to know what we were having with it and was surprised when I said that was the meal, nothing else.

We always as children in Scotland just had this as a complete meal (well not the broccoli ? I don’t think it had been invented in the 1950s).

Do others find it odd that there was nothing being served with it?

Blondie49 Wed 13-Feb-19 10:29:16

Chips ?or some nice crusty bread and a bit of salad - I’ve lived all over UK and my mum didn’t make it so just served how I fancied ?

Daddima Wed 13-Feb-19 10:31:38

A side dish here also, especially with boiled or roast ham and roast potatoes.

I am reminded of buying those lovely big golden onions from our greengrocer, and saying my sons liked them cooked whole in a stew. My neighbour was horrified, and said she served them boiled with brown bread and butter, as it was ‘ a nice cheap tea’.

Beau Wed 13-Feb-19 10:32:52

Main course always here although DD sometimes serves a small portion as a vegetable with meat nowadays. Actually it might relate to something she's just discovered online (although I've told her 100 times ? ) - the enormous quantities of food people eat now compared to 40 or 50 years ago. I suppose because the cheese was seen as the protein part of the meal we would have seen no need to have meat as well.

CaroleAnne Wed 13-Feb-19 10:34:38

Warminster West Wiltshire calling here. As a child we always had sausages with the cauliflour cheese and always served with mango chutney. I have continued this and my daughter in Australia makes it for her family too.
I do like the sound of the toasted almonds and will try this next time.

farmgran Wed 13-Feb-19 10:35:37

We had it for tea tonight. I cook it with bacon and onion in it and cauliflower up one end of the dish and macaroni up the other. It's got mustard and Worcester sauce in it and topped with panko crumbs and extra cheese!

Lumarei Wed 13-Feb-19 10:36:26

Growing up we had it with pancakes now it is a main dish.

lilihu Wed 13-Feb-19 10:44:55

@farmgran that sounds so delicious!

Have always had it all ways. As a main served with small salad and crusty bread. As a side dish with baked fish or chicken and as a main with baked potato or pasta. Never put tomatoes in as it changes the cheese sauce flavour.
My mouth is watering.

Lizbott Wed 13-Feb-19 10:45:46

It's a must with our Xmas dinner!

MiniMoon Wed 13-Feb-19 10:45:46

I make it as a side dish these days, but growing up, we had cauliflower cheese with a slice of ham, or bacon and bread and butter.

Daisyboots Wed 13-Feb-19 10:47:04

We have it both ways as a side dish or as a main meal. I dont use a white sauce as a base and havent for years. It's cream, cream cheese with garlic and herbs plus a little mustard and strong cheddar cheese. If we are having it as a meal I include cooked bacon lardons. Now I fancy that for dinner tonight.

BBbevan Wed 13-Feb-19 10:47:38

Usually on its own , but occasionally with a roast dinner

sarahanew Wed 13-Feb-19 10:50:53

When we were growing up cauliflower cheese was a main meal. Somewhere between then and now cauliflower cheese has become a vegetable served with a meal. How or when that happened I don't know!

maxdecatt Wed 13-Feb-19 10:53:18

Love it, and it is improved if crispy bacon bits are mixed in.

harrigran Wed 13-Feb-19 10:54:28

Definitely just as a side dish, DH would think he had been short changed if I presented that as a main dish.

CarlyD7 Wed 13-Feb-19 10:55:25

We usually have it as a main dish but with added macaroni (so it's a combinationof macaroni cheese & cauliflower cheese). Adding broccoli gives it a lovely colour. I sometimes crumble cooked bacon over the top.

NfkDumpling Wed 13-Feb-19 10:56:58

In our hous cauliflower cheese is a dish in its own right. But it can be dressed up with crispy onions or bacon bits on top. The cauli is also often padded out with broccoli, peas, mushroom, diced carrot or any other stray vegetable that needs using up.

In restaurants around here cauliflower is never served on its own but always with a cheese sauce. I think that’s what makes it palatable for a lot of people.

hereshoping Wed 13-Feb-19 11:09:14

Planning to have it as our dinner tonight.
My daughter who's a vegetarian, seem to think that it's an unbalanced meal but I don't agree.

Margs Wed 13-Feb-19 11:09:46

Can't see any problem, Anja, sounds fine to me.

If it hits the spot then that's OK!

EllanVannin Wed 13-Feb-19 11:10:27

Because I'm on my own, cauliflower cheese to me is a main. I have half the cauli ( good sized one ) and make the cheese sauce using the roux method-----none of your packet muck.
The rest I use when doing a roast, then I make white sauce.

grannytotwins Wed 13-Feb-19 11:14:08

I’m from Kent and it was a main meal when I was a child. I still make it to be eaten on its own.

Nanny41 Wed 13-Feb-19 11:19:21

It such a long time ago I made it, but I think we had it as veg with the main meal.Thanks for reminding me about this delicious meal, I must make it soon.

Jaycee5 Wed 13-Feb-19 11:21:21

I usually have it as a main meal although I seem to have lost the ability to make it as nice as it used to be. Thick sauce made with cheese and some onion eaten with fresh crusty bread.
Now you've made me want some.

Brismum Wed 13-Feb-19 11:21:58

I always cut the cauliflower up and par boil with some potatoes. New or old both work fine. Cover with the cheese sauce and top with tomato pieces. Then finish cooking in the oven. Often make it if going out for the day with a visiting friend then just heat through when we get home. Sometimes have nice crusty bread with it!

gillyjp Wed 13-Feb-19 11:33:54

Cauliflower cheese we will have on it's own or with a bit of broccoli in it. Sometimes I do a jacket potato as others have mentioned on this thread. I also sometimes do sausages to go with it. However I always sprinkle breadcrumbs and a bit of grated cheese on top and put sliced or halved tomatoes on top as well. Delicious.

Horatia Wed 13-Feb-19 11:47:07

I'm Scottish and have never heard of it as a main dish. It sounds a good idea though