Gransnet forums

Food

Cauliflower cheese

(171 Posts)
Anja Wed 13-Feb-19 08:31:39

When my SiL came to pick the grandchildren up after work yesterday he asked conversationally (he’s chatty like that)

‘What are you having for tea?’

I said ‘Cauliflower and broccoli cheese’.

He wanted to know what we were having with it and was surprised when I said that was the meal, nothing else.

We always as children in Scotland just had this as a complete meal (well not the broccoli ? I don’t think it had been invented in the 1950s).

Do others find it odd that there was nothing being served with it?

jenpax Wed 13-Feb-19 09:58:37

It’s usually a main for us too but I would probably add peas and carrots to go with the cauliflower cheese dish. My eldest DD’s OH serves it as a side with Sunday lunch. We are all southerners

sylviann Wed 13-Feb-19 09:59:25

I would expect to have other food as well as cauliflower cheese to me it's only the veg part

ReadyMeals Wed 13-Feb-19 09:59:51

We'd have it as a main, but I think probably some sautee potatoes or similar as well, as otherwise it may be a little short of filling carbs.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 13-Feb-19 10:00:26

A meal on its own, made with very strong cheese and served with a salad and crusty bread. Just love it, in fact I shall make one for tomorrow.

pinkpeony Wed 13-Feb-19 10:01:34

When I was young and lived in Scotland my Mother served it as a main course with crusty bread. I think that's fine but my DH likes some meat with his.

marpau Wed 13-Feb-19 10:04:01

We have it as a main dish here in Scotland sometimes top with breadcrumbs and extra cheese. I also had cheesy mash as a main dish when growing up and macaroni cheese both served with lots of beetroot.

Anja Wed 13-Feb-19 10:07:39

I use vintage Gouda and Dijon mustard in the sauce.

jenni123 Wed 13-Feb-19 10:09:14

I am veggie and often eat this, I have a friend who always asks, 'aren't you having anything with it?', I say 'No' this is the meal in itself.

Albangirl14 Wed 13-Feb-19 10:09:50

M and S sell it with broccoli and we buy it sometimes and it is very good for two. When I need it in larger amounts I make it myself.

sodapop Wed 13-Feb-19 10:10:00

A main dish for us too. Cauliflower and leek cheese, one of my favourites. Sometimes with crispy roast potatoes other times a baguette.

annep1 Wed 13-Feb-19 10:10:18

Its not something I make. My husband doesn't like cauliflower. I would have a small amount maybe with baked potato. I imagine it's not very healthy to eat in large amounts.

Charleygirl5 Wed 13-Feb-19 10:10:22

Anja that sounds yummy.

I have it as a side dish, one of the other vegetables.

gillybob Wed 13-Feb-19 10:11:24

I would quite happily eat cauliflower cheese every day, either on its own or as an accompaniment . DH can’t even look at it but he’s funny with cheese sauces .

oldgaijin Wed 13-Feb-19 10:12:29

Definitely a main dish here, with very cheesy sauce topped off with more cheese and bread crumbs. A great mainstay if any vegetarians come to eat.

Kim19 Wed 13-Feb-19 10:12:36

Stands alone here. Delicious too.

NotStressedOut Wed 13-Feb-19 10:18:57

I’ve only had it as a side dish. My DH and I like it with breaded chicken or fish and another veg. I could eat it as a main with some other veg.

GrandmaKT Wed 13-Feb-19 10:20:18

Sometimes as a main on its own (with bread and butter), sometimes with cumberland sausage! Not very often though as my DH doesn't eat either cauliflower or cheese.
I did it for a friend once and she said she had no idea that you could book a whole cauliflower (she'd only ever had florets).

Minerva Wed 13-Feb-19 10:20:19

I remember making this for a boyfriend, well one of my fiancés actually (don’t ask ?), and serving it, lovely cheesy topping, with potatoes and his disappointment that he wasn’t getting meat with it.
It was a main meal in our house and still is. I like it with crusty home made bread but the family love it best with roast potatoes.

icanhandthemback Wed 13-Feb-19 10:20:24

If we're having it as the main meal, we add a tin of drained tomatoes and a tin of tuna to the bottom of the pyrex bowl before putting the cauliflower and cheese sauce on top. Cauli, Tuna Cheese, mmm, I feel hungry!

JS06 Wed 13-Feb-19 10:21:11

Was always happy enough with it on its own as a main meal but now I have young adults living with me they look askance if there is nothing else. Sometimes a few sausages or a few quickly grilled slices of prosciutto do the trick. Delicious!

TwiceAsNice Wed 13-Feb-19 10:24:02

According to circumstances or my mood I will have it on its own or with meat or other veg. Delicious whatever I think

Speldnan Wed 13-Feb-19 10:24:04

I have it as a main dish, nice bread goes with it if you have some.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 13-Feb-19 10:25:05

No ,I don't think it's unusual. As a 'nearly veggie' many of my meals are just that.

annodomini Wed 13-Feb-19 10:26:08

I like to make it with a topping of breadcrumbs, grated cheese and sesame seeds crisped for 15 minutes in a hot oven.

Hm999 Wed 13-Feb-19 10:27:21

1950s South London - cauliflower cheese was main dish.

2010s further south - cauliflower cheese usually has a bit of pasta in it or bread and butter - veggie staple supper