Gransnet forums

Food

Kartoffel chips in M&S.

(67 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Tue 19-Feb-19 18:42:56

Returning from the hairdressers today, I treated myself to a packet of low fat, sour cream and chive crisps.
Whilst idly munching, I turned the packet over to read the full list of ingredients and noted they were made in DENMARK.
Why why why?
I was also wearing M&S knickers at the time, which are made in Bangladesh.
???

MawBroon Tue 19-Feb-19 18:55:11

You closet European!

BradfordLass72 Tue 19-Feb-19 18:56:44

Lucky you. What's wrong with Denmark?

If you worry that Britain doesn't make its own chips, the answer is simple.
We lost most of our manufacturing capacity long ago: cars, shoes, cotton, wool, clothing etc. Only smaller concerns now survive.

It used to be said of Birmingham that it made everything the world needed.

Shareholders who want more and more dividends, owners who want more profits prefer to use labour in emerging countries don't demand high wages so it's more profitable to use them. Even most books are published in Asian countries - mine published by a multi-national publisher, went to China!

The company my son works for in UK "only made 10 million profit in the first quarter" according to their report and that wasn't good enough !!

Cherrytree59 Tue 19-Feb-19 19:00:45

Kartoffel is potato in German and Danish.

Jalima1108 Tue 19-Feb-19 19:25:26

Kartoffels apart:

Contrary to widespread perceptions, UK manufacturing is thriving, with the UK currently the world’s eighth largest industrial nation.
www.themanufacturer.com/uk-manufacturing-statistics

and, unfortunately, Honda

Jalima1108 Tue 19-Feb-19 19:26:45

Crisps are made in the UK - but if people buy foreign ones instead, the industry may decline.

So buy British!

Jalima1108 Tue 19-Feb-19 19:27:41

If you worry that Britain doesn't make its own chips, the answer is simple.
Yes, we do make crisps - chips are what the Aussies call them!!

Lisagran Tue 19-Feb-19 19:27:51

I hope you were wearing more than knickers (not just knickers, M and S knickers) whilst chomping your crisps grin

Lisagran Tue 19-Feb-19 19:30:41

These British made crisps come in a compostable bag too smile. Worth clicking the link - the farmers themselves are quite tasty......

twofarmers.co.uk

Jalima1108 Tue 19-Feb-19 19:37:14

Lisagran grin

Was there a news camera following you by any chance Gabriella? shock

which reminds me of a time when I saw a naked woman wandering down our High Street (it was a chilly day as well) and luckily we still had a local police then, a nice young policeman came along and put his jacket round her shoulders and took her to the police station (which was open in those days too).

She wasn't munching crisps though.

Greyduster Tue 19-Feb-19 19:54:40

It’s got to be a bloody site easier to buy a packet of crisps in M&S these days than it is to buy a decent pair of trousers!

GabriellaG54 Tue 19-Feb-19 19:55:46

I know, Cherrytree59

GabriellaG54 Tue 19-Feb-19 20:17:48

I partly agree Greyduster.
The ones with a stripe down the side are far too thick a material, however, last Friday, I bought two pairs of chinos with relaxed turn-ups, 1 pink and 1 navy @ £19.50 each to add to the pair bought the previous week which are a white/navy pin stripe again, 100% cotton with ditto turn-ups @ £22.50.
After getting the size wrong the first time, buying long but finding them too long, the regular are perfect spring/summer ankle-grazers.
Well made and strong material.
They had others in red, pale blue and more colours with an ankle slit which cost £25 and are slightly more 'tailored'.
There were racks and racks of trousers in various colours, patterns, materials and degrees of tailoring.
A veritable plethora of pants.
I'm quite surprised at their efforts to attract a wider age group.
Whenever I've shopped there in recent months, there has been a steady footfall of mixed ages including a preponderance of young Chinese women in the under 25 age group, possibly from uni.

GabriellaG54 Tue 19-Feb-19 20:23:20

Jalima1108

???? ??

Noooo.
I was eating them at home. ?

GabriellaG54 Tue 19-Feb-19 20:24:57

BTW, the Danish word for crisps, is CHIPS, that is why I wrote it.

GabriellaG54 Tue 19-Feb-19 20:28:26

I (wrongly) assumed that if anything was going to be British in M&S, it would be butter, milk and crisps, after all, we grow plenty of spuds.

Maggiemaybe Tue 19-Feb-19 20:38:32

If you worry that Britain doesn't make its own chips, the answer is simple. We lost most of our manufacturing capacity long ago.

Of course we make our own crisps, BradfordLass. You must have been away a long time if you've forgotten Seabrook Crisps. Made in Bradford since 1939.

Jalima1108 Tue 19-Feb-19 22:57:50

Gabriell I had a vision of a woman strolling through M&S Foodhall in her knickers, munching crisps and everyone pretending that they hadn't seen her grin

Jalima1108 Tue 19-Feb-19 22:59:43

BTW, the Danish word for crisps, is CHIPS, that is why I wrote it.
so you did!
I didn't notice until BradfordLass said it.

Jane10 Wed 20-Feb-19 07:00:29

I was so very happy with my new M&S pants that I went back and bought more. The packs were on 3 for 2 so I bought 3 packs of 3! I'm so glad I did. I think they'll 'see me out'!

dragonfly46 Wed 20-Feb-19 07:26:08

The largest crisp factory in Europe is in Leicester - Gary Lineker!

Urmstongran Wed 20-Feb-19 07:54:26

Seabrook crisps are my favourite. I buy them every week. Maybe that’s why I’m on a diet at present ....

I’m trying consciously to ‘buy British’ wherever I can these days. Especially food.

Maggiemaybe Wed 20-Feb-19 08:41:52

When DD2 was studying in Glasgow she really missed her favourite Seabrooks. DH worked down the road from the factory and had a case of salt and vinegar sent up to arrive on her birthday. smile

Aepgirl Wed 20-Feb-19 11:09:35

I check everything I buy and will buy only British, unless it cannot be made/grown in Britain.

moxeyns Wed 20-Feb-19 11:20:37

The local community pub buys a wide range of crisps flavours from a local manufacturer; total food miles, about 12.