Gransnet forums

Food

That was quick...

(55 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Thu 28-Feb-19 05:45:50

It seams that only a few weeks have past since we were treated to news of talks taking place between Ocado and M&S
now the happy coupple have announced there engagement to the world and Ocado has told its lover of 19 years that its over.
The marriage will take place in 2020 when Ocado's divorce is announced.
A costly wedding will follow (£750m) and friends of the soon-to-be ex, are already crying on Twitter I enjoy shopping in both stores but find the quality in M&S is much better, especialy the fruit its worth paying the extra 'pennys'.
I wonder if and how the 'middle classes' will ajust although many are GNs who shop at Aldi Lidl Tesco and Sainsbury so it won't effect them.
It's not thought that Waitrose will invest in its own fleet of vans so it remains to be seen as to how they will overcome that obstacle.
Its all change in Blighty.

BlueBelle Thu 28-Feb-19 06:12:23

Never bought food in M and S and Ocado don’t deliver in my area so doesn’t bother me ?

kittylester Thu 28-Feb-19 06:15:08

I hadn't seen that the Waitrose affair was over.

I rarely have supermarket deliveries but when I ordered party food from Waitrose it came in a Waitrose van.

The thing that bothers me is that M&S's range is not huge though they have a really good gf offering.

Riverwalk Thu 28-Feb-19 06:38:41

seams = seems
past = passed
coupple = couple
pennys = pennies
there = their
ajust = adjust
effect = affect

Plus a number of its instead of it's.

I know you're a stickler for these things wink

MawBroon Thu 28-Feb-19 06:57:50

I am reeling.
Not the Ocado/M&S thing - frankly underwhelmed by the implications - but does GabriellaG need medical attention?
Or is it shock?

Nanabanana1 Thu 28-Feb-19 07:30:40

Mawbroon?
I can’t afford to shop at Waitrose or M&S so it doesn’t bother me.

Luckygirl Thu 28-Feb-19 08:02:54

M&S food is very good quality and I would be happy if M&S were able to deliver round here.

janeainsworth Thu 28-Feb-19 08:07:52

Waitrose have their own delivery service up here in the blighted north.
The stuff comes in Waitrose vans delivered by people wearing Waitrose uniforms.

kittylester Thu 28-Feb-19 08:11:23

So did ours jane but a neighbour has Ocado deliveries.

janeainsworth Thu 28-Feb-19 08:12:58

Or is it shock?
No Maw, I think it was an attempt to flush out who among the GN membership shop at Waitrose and M&S and who shops at Lidl and Aldi, and start yet another inverse snobbery war on Gransnet.
Having stated my allegiance I’m out of heregrin
Well spotted Riverwalkgrin

gillybob Thu 28-Feb-19 08:13:27

No Ocado delivery here either . Waitrose would deliver here (I checked) but I doubt many in this town could afford them.

Auntieflo Thu 28-Feb-19 08:18:39

Riverwalk grin many thanks

MawBroon Thu 28-Feb-19 08:53:31

No Janeainsworth - too subtle!

sodapop Thu 28-Feb-19 08:55:28

Me too Luckygirl do you think they will come as far as France ?
I think most people shop in a variety of supermarkets for different things, We have Aldi & Lidl here but sadly no M&S or Waitrose.

paddyann Thu 28-Feb-19 08:58:02

Oh dear ..I didn't know you had to be "middle class" to shop at M and S and Waitrose will I have to take an exam to get over their door next time? Working class here ...always was always will be and proud of it !What IS this CLASS you speak of?You work for a living? You're working class !

Teetime Thu 28-Feb-19 08:58:43

I have an Ocado shop each week and its been much better than the Sainsbury deliveries and I shall miss the Waitrose element. Not sure I want M & S as a weekly provider- I find its food high in calories, sugar and salt. I may go back to Sainsbury or just Waitrose who do have their own vans but who had poor punctuality when I had them before.

Elegran Thu 28-Feb-19 09:18:28

I believe the Ocado/Waitrose contract has come to an end - nothing to do with marital iunfidelity and all change, just business as usual.

As for working/middle/upper class shopping habits, I daresay everyone will continue to shop where they want to, regardless of how snobby/plebeian their choice of retailer. They will probably buy this thing here and that thing there, like the majority of real people do (as compared to the fantasy types who "always go to XXXX" or "always buy the cheapest" or "always buy the best". How restrictive that would be - they'd miss a lot!

M0nica Thu 28-Feb-19 09:25:14

paddyann, exactly. I do get bored with this constant harping on about class. We are all working class. Nearly everyone below retirement age would be in penury if they lost their job.

I am a Waitrose shopper because there is a not oversized branch in the centre of my local town so I can combine my shopping with anything else I want to do and shops I want to visit. Going to the local huge Tesco, or another town for other shops costs petrol and time and that adds to the cost of the 'cheaper' groceries, so they are not so cheap anymore.

GrandmaMoira Thu 28-Feb-19 09:29:47

I've always been confused about having shopping delivered from Waitrose by Ocado but sometimes Waitrose itself. Now I guess I'll never know.

GabriellaG54 Thu 28-Feb-19 12:20:37

It was talked about online and in the press as being 'well-heeled' and 'middle-class'. They were not my words.

GabriellaG54 Thu 28-Feb-19 12:29:05

As for the spelling errors. Those who questioned and corrected my spelling are being as pompous, rude and disrespectful as as the others who accused me of being so after I politely corrected errors on other threads.
I made the error-strewn thread on purpose to show what a lot of sheep there are on here.
Doing what you abhor in others.

merlotgran Thu 28-Feb-19 12:33:59

In my neck of the woods the middle class shoppers are all in Aldi and if they can't get what they want, Sainsbury's is just across the road.

Those expensive school fees don't pay themselves!

GabriellaG54 Thu 28-Feb-19 12:42:06

janeainsworth you couldn't be more wrong.
I have no particular allegiance to any shop, the closest usually get more of my custom which is normal but, I do have preferences for certain items which are sold in particular stores. Nothing unusual in that.
The thread was simply to include spelling mistakes to see how many pompous hypocrites would remark on them. It had nothing whatsoever to do with categorizing GNers shopping habits. grin 1-0

Gonegirl Thu 28-Feb-19 12:43:21

I'm a bit torn about this. Have had Ocado for some years now, and I do like Waitrose stuff. But Marks and Sparks are very good too. Will wait and see how it works out. If I don't like it I will have Waitrose own free delivery. But I do like the Ocado 1 hour delivery slots.

Gonegirl Thu 28-Feb-19 12:48:42

I am well heeled, so long as I have my new Fit-flops on. smile