Gransnet forums

Food

comfort food

(122 Posts)
fizzers Sun 07-Apr-19 16:08:27

what is your favourite comfort food?

mine is soup and bread or beans on toast

Lindajoy Tue 09-Apr-19 07:57:46

Heinz tomato soup with bread in or spaghetti on toast, both of which my Mum used to give me when I was poorly as a child.

nana5852 Tue 09-Apr-19 10:12:05

Mince and tatties....the mash creamy and buttery and the mince rich and moist accompanied by anything green. Yum.

M0nica Tue 09-Apr-19 11:36:37

We are on comfort food today. The dreaded lergy that won't go away for keeps and keeps coming back has struck again today so it is off to the freezer for the steak and kidney pudding. Hot and meaty and stodgy, doesn't need preparation, which rules out macaroni cheese, and will be served with brussel sprouts and lots of gravy.

Just writing it all down makes me feel better.

paw1 Tue 09-Apr-19 11:45:46

Mine is 2 poached eggs on toast yummy

GabriellaG54 Tue 09-Apr-19 13:14:09

I love 85% of other GNers comfort foods, also bread and milk.
3-5 day old organic unsliced small 'tin' loaf cut into fairly thick cubes then drowned in hot milk with a small sprinkling of demerara sugar.
I also love Original Farley's rusks in hot or cold milk, 4 at a time as they mush to nothing.
Home made semolina pudding and rice pudding with a good skin on the rice.
The list is endless.

Gonegirl Tue 09-Apr-19 15:35:54

I amazed that people still eat bread and milk. I thought it was a thing of Victorian nurseries. (Shudder)

GabriellaG54 Tue 09-Apr-19 17:54:47

I luuuuuve it.
It's comfort food.

Nanna58 Thu 11-Apr-19 18:01:26

Fish finger sandwich, floppy white bread I wouldn’t normally touch with a barge pole, and loads and loads of butter - yum!

GabriellaG54 Fri 12-Apr-19 23:02:16

Yesssss, especially with Waitrose chunky cod fish fingers and Heinz ketchup.

Witzend Sat 13-Apr-19 16:44:44

Cheese on toast - mature Cheddar only - with onion and lots of Worcester Sauce. Or Welsh Rarebit, if I can be bothered to make the real thing..

Or a big jacket potato - well mashed with salt, pepper and butter first, then beans and cheese on top.

Dh might well say school dinner mince - though I'd hope mine is rather better than his school dinners! - with boiled or mashed potatoes and peas.
Funnily enough I have a big batch on the go now, but I always add quite a bit of finely chopped carrot, celery and mushrooms, and often a handful,of red lentils too. Not just to make the mince go further, but to add to the veg intake - not that dh needs any encouragement to eat plenty of veg.

Sara65 Sat 13-Apr-19 17:37:11

Another one for macaroni cheese! My absolute favourite meal, sadly my husband can’t see the attraction, thinks it’s bland! We have agreed to differ on that one for 40 years!

quasidodo Sat 27-Apr-19 00:08:35

It is interesting that so many people's favourite comfort foods seem to be bland stodge, stodge, stodge and more stodge ... with a bit of cheese thrown in! Maybe these are comforting foods not because of the taste, but because they remind them of childhood meals, which perhaps were quite bland and thought to be appropriate for children. My ultimate comfort meal would be sausages, bacon, black pudding, chips, fried bread, baked beans and fried tomatoes, with a big mug of strong tea, scorching hot. (Which would probably be followed by a heart attack. But I would be so happy!)

JonathanMetcalf Wed 01-May-19 06:58:30

Hello,
talking about food.
Well. this is my all-time favorite topic to discuss one.
I like Sandwich, and fruit shake at any time and anywhere.

JonathanMetcalf Thu 02-May-19 13:41:34

Well, I am again here to discuss my favorite food.

humptydumpty Thu 02-May-19 14:25:46

Mmm GG54 I hardly ever agree with you about anything, but I'm in complete agreement about thick cubes of white bread with hot milk and sugar - yummm!

JonathanMetcalf Fri 03-May-19 07:23:35

Yes, your combination also sounds so yummy. But I didn't try it before. Gonna try it soon.

PBJ2 Mon 06-May-19 18:45:26

Apple Pie with Ice Cream smile

Witzend Sun 19-May-19 12:16:21

If we're taking really lazy comfort food, then it's pasta, boiled in chicken stock (a cube) with a load of grated mature Cheddar on top. Minimum effort, maximum yum.

Have had this at least twice while dh is away and I don't feel the need to cook Proper Food.

Witzend Sun 19-May-19 12:21:00

Talking, not taking! When are we going to get an edit facility???

MamaCaz Sun 19-May-19 12:22:38

I'm eating one of my favourites right now: homemade pea and ham soup. Even though I can't taste it properly because of a bad cold, I'm still enjoying it ☺

Franbern Tue 28-May-19 19:33:15

Pancakes with maple syrup.