Gransnet forums

Food

chicken recipes

(37 Posts)
Fennel Sun 25-Aug-19 18:30:43

Following Carillion's post. I'd like to see your favourite chicken recipes.
Chicken must be the most popular meat in the UK.
BTW I don't want to get into the arguments about animal rights re chickens.
Except one thing, I would never buy capons.

Fennel Thu 29-Aug-19 13:39:04

Glad to see you're none the worse for your twice cooked chicken Carillion.
The other day I found a bag of chicken in sauce in the freezer. I remembered it was leftovers from something called orange rosemary chicken that I'd made for some visitors.
I thawed it out, reboiled it well, and we were fine.

Carillion01 Thu 29-Aug-19 11:04:13

Hello Fennel!
After my disaster with attempted twice cooked chicken this has been a brilliant thread.
The recipe I love is a chicken schwarma kebab where you thread skinless, boned chicken thighs on to two long skewers after marinating the chicken in spices. After searing them they are cooked in the oven then sliced and served in pitta breads. It's delish, I love it.
Anyone who wants the details should google Maria Elia's Chicken Schwarma. X

Fennel Tue 27-Aug-19 17:08:41

I used to strip a chicken carcass after roasting and use the meat in a rissoto.
A finely chopped onion, softened in oil, then add some long grain or rissoto rice. Some chicken or veg stock and simmer for 2 mins, and add your chicken leftovers.
Bring to the boil again for worriers. But we never got ill from it.

Evie64 Tue 27-Aug-19 12:23:14

Here to add my twopenny's worth.

Cooked chicken meat diced/sliced/torn up
3 garlic cloves crushed
Bunch of spring onions sliced
Handful of mushrooms sliced
Tin of Campbells condensed mushroom soup
Half tub of creme fraiche
Penne pasta
Good helping of dried basil

Whilst cooking the pasta, fry the garlic, onions and mushrooms in a wok, add the chicken, the soup and creme fraiche. Add good sprinkling of basil. Heat through. Add the cooked pasta to the wok and mix thoroughly. Serve with garlic bread. Quick and easy and always draws compliments. It's nice cold the next day as well.

Francis Tue 27-Aug-19 12:03:09

Thank you for all these lovely ideas

Mamma66 Tue 27-Aug-19 12:00:18

Loosely wrap a chicken breast in cling film, using a rolling pin and chopping board hit the chicken until you have a large thin fillet. Prepare three bowls, in one beaten egg, in another flour and seasoning /herbs / spices of your choice, in the third freshly grated breadcrumbs. Dip the breasts into the flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs and shallow fry until golden ensuring that the chicken is cooked through. Simple, quick and so much nicer than pre-done ones.

Gonegirl Mon 26-Aug-19 18:57:41

Oh, and don't forget the chutney, home made or shop bought.

Gonegirl Mon 26-Aug-19 18:56:17

Call into your nearest Marks and Sparks, buy ready roasted chicken plus a bowl of prepared salad. A few ready-cooked spuds if you like. Take home and carve.

Sorted.

Nicolaed Mon 26-Aug-19 18:45:30

Chicken fillets in a creamy mushroom and garlic sauce - loved by the whole family

hicaz46 Mon 26-Aug-19 17:15:43

After having roast chicken, I take any leftovers from the carcass plus any meat not used for roast dinner and make a chicken and mushroom risotto. I boil the carcass with a few diced veg for flavour eg carrot, onion, celery and use this as stock for the risotto. Really not as difficult to make as some say, it just needs a little attention for about 20-30 minutes.

willa45 Mon 26-Aug-19 15:13:01

My favorite is a 'single skillet', 'one dish' chicken recipe that was passed down by my grandmother. Over the years, I've modified it slightly to reduce saturated fat content. I now use skinless chicken and 'heart healthy' olive oil instead of butter.....

Ingredients (serves 2 to 4):

6 (skinless) chicken pieces (I like to use thighs).
1 large yellow onion cut in slices
2 medium sized potatoes peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 carrots peeled and cut same
3 cloves of garlic, peeled, smashed and minced
Chopped parsley (about a tablespoon)
1/2 cup of raisins
1/2 cup chicken broth (bouillon cubes are OK too)
1/4 cup dry white wine
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

In a Cast Iron (or any other 'oven safe' skillet) set stove top heat on High and brown the chicken pieces nicely in olive oil. Set them aside on a platter. Lower heat to Medium then add a little more olive oil and the sliced onion and garlic. Toss repeatedly with a wooden spoon until onion and garlic combines with all those delicious bits of chicken residue (deglazing the pan) and they begin to soften but not burn.

Mix potatoes, carrots, raisins and chopped parsley, then add them to the skillet and toss them gently to combine with the onions/garlic. Add broth, wine, salt and pepper. When liquids begin to bubble, turn off the heat so they don't dry out.

Arrange the chicken pieces on top of potatoes/carrots etc., and cover the skillet. Place in a hot oven (375 degrees F) covered for about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the lid after that time and bake uncovered for another 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are soft and meat is cooked. To serve, spoon a bit of the sauce over the chicken. Place the vegetables on the side and add a sprinkle or two of fresh parsley for garnish.

All you need is some warm crusty bread and a nice Pino Grigio to complete.

Cambia Mon 26-Aug-19 14:21:18

Quick chicken is a favourite in our house. For two, put four chicken thighs with bone and skin on in a roasting pan. Sprinkle with chilli powder and oregano. Chop up a potato, carrot and parsnip into pieces and sprinkle round the chicken. Add a couple of garlic cloves. Season well and drizzle over some olive oil. Put into an oven at 220 for twenty five minutes. Take out and add 300ml of chicken stock and a big tablespoon of tomato purée. Mix this all through and pop back in the oven for ten minutes.

Delicious and one pot!

Craicon Mon 26-Aug-19 13:32:50

Simple one pot roast dish.

Chuck onions or shallots quartered, a few garlic cloves, some sprigs of fresh or dried thyme and a thickly sliced lemon into a roasting tin. Add salt and pepper and drizzle generously with olive oil.

Add 2-4 chicken breasts depending on the size of your container and stir or use your hands to mix everything together well. Ensure that it’s one big layer and not piled up, otherwise the food underneath will steam and not roast.

Roast in 180° fan oven for 30 mins.
Take out and leave to rest for 5 mins.

Make mustard mayo by adding 4 tsp mayo to 2tsp Dijon mustard and 2 tsp honey.

Serve with mustard mayo and salad/favourite veg/rice as required.

If you’re interested in one pot type recipe ideas, try The Roasting Tin by Rukumi Iyer. I borrowed a copy from the library and the recipes require virtually no prep, have a few simple ingredients, and are extremely tasty.

notnecessarilywiser Mon 26-Aug-19 13:13:01

This Mary Berry recipe is a big success in my family and has the benefit of everything being cooked in one large baking tray - thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/mediterranean-all-in-one-chicken

On the occasions I couldn't get preserved lemons I substituted fresh ones, and have tweaked the recipe to accommodate various family preferences.

chrissyh Mon 26-Aug-19 12:51:35

Chicken breasts in a sauce made from Campbell's condensed mushroom soup. 4 skinless chicken breasts; small can sweetcorn drained;100g sliced mushrooms; 1 large sliced onion; 1 can condensed mushroom soup.
Place all ingredients in a large casserole dish, arrange chicken breast on top of veg. Spread over condensed soup - DO NOT ADD WATER. Cook 170 degrees, gas mark 4 for approximately 1hr 15, stirring halfway through.

This is just as good with 150g chopped asparagus & Campbell's Asparagus Soup, apparently, although I have only made the mushroom one.

Lins1066 Mon 26-Aug-19 12:01:59

Forgot to say, add some par boiled new potatoes to the traybake that have been sprinkled with smoked paprika.
Good luck with your foot operation teabagwoman, I had one in February and did some batch cooking for the freezer too. It helped a lot.

Lins1066 Mon 26-Aug-19 11:55:54

Chicken breasts stuffed with cheese either Mozzarella, Brie or Camembert and wrapped in pancetta.
Traybake - chicken thighs, red onion, and chorizo, sprinkle grated orange over and drizzle with olive oil. Cook in oven for about an hour.
Normandy chicken.
Parmesan chicken.
Stir fry chicken.

kittylester Mon 26-Aug-19 11:37:29

quizqueen, are you assuming that none of us are using free range chickens?

Solonge Mon 26-Aug-19 10:49:44

I always treat chicken to 24 hours in a saline bath before roasting for truly juicy meat. I take the bird out of the saline, rinse and dry it. I then loosen the skin over the bird and put in a stuffing between the skin and meat consisting of lemon zest, garlic, salt and white pepper, all mashed up in Brittany butter with salt crystals. I stuff the cavity with the lemons used to provide the zest. I roast this over a mix of potatoes, leeks, mushrooms and peppers. At the end I stir a little stock and cream in the remaining pan juices.

TillyWhiz Mon 26-Aug-19 10:33:13

Try www.bhf.org.uk for their healthy chicken recipes. I made Herby Chicken with Bulgur Wheat - wow, it was delicious. Ingredients can be adapted to what's in the larder. I had half yesterday and will have the remainder cold with a salad today.

Lupin Mon 26-Aug-19 10:30:03

Cut up chicken breast into bite sized chunks. Toss them in a mix of cornflour, crumbled Oxo chicken stock cube and seasoning. Heat some rapeseed or olive oil in a skillet and stir fry chicken rapidly for a few minutes. Turn off the heat and leave to finish cooking in the residual heat. Meanwhile roast some red onion chunks, peppers, tomatoes, courgette chunks in a little oil in the oven on a tray. Drizzle with balsamic dressing when serving with the chicken. A few new potatoes don't go amiss.

Sheilasue Mon 26-Aug-19 10:10:57

Roasted chicken, with cherry tomatoes, new potatoes and red onion and fresh thyme. In one roasting dish. Yum.

teabagwoman Mon 26-Aug-19 10:07:36

Forgot to add my contribution to the recipe file. Very simple indeed, just cut up chicken breasts into strips and dust with smoked paprika before frying over a medium heat - I use the well known low fat spray oil. For something so simple it’s really tasty in a salad.

quizqueen Mon 26-Aug-19 10:06:29

You may not want to get into the subject of animal rights but the chicken certainly does. I watched a program about how they were slaughtered en masse and have never eaten one since. How anyone can work in those places and go home and not think about what they have done, I don't know

teabagwoman Mon 26-Aug-19 10:03:42

Thanks for starting this thread Fennel, I’m having a foot operation in a few weeks so am having a batch cooking session. I shall be staying with my dd but as I have to follow a rather restrictive diet I’m making as many meals for the freezer as I can. I’m grateful for the ideas here and will have to sit down and see if I can convert them to low fat, no cream for me alas, and low FODMAP.