Gransnet forums

Food

In defence of cheddar cheese

(80 Posts)
giulia Sun 17-Nov-19 08:12:05

Living out of the UK, a good piece of Cheddar is one of the things I miss most.

My kind butcher/delicatessen, at my request, has brought some into his shop (E32/kg my dears!). It is an award-winning west country variety and is almost orange.

Hence my problem: my Italian family and friends refuse to taste it. They say it must contain food colouring to be that colour! I am sure this is not so but it is true that all Italian/French cheeses are all pale.

I read somewhere that it is carotene which causes the colour but surely the cows don't eat carrots!

If I remember rightly, Leicester cheese is almost red.

How do I explain this orange colouring?

Ps: I saw some sliced, packaged "cheddar" here in a supermarket - it was made in Belgium!

BradfordLass72 Mon 18-Nov-19 06:39:12

I have always detected an unpleasant amoniac taste in Brie and Camembert, until I ate it in France.

They don't pasteurise their milk before making it, which I was told by a cheese expert, is what gives the Brie its 'wet nappy' tang.

What GabriellaG54 describes above is also my ideal and in fact when pregnant with my 2nd son, had a months-long craving for exactly that (sans dates) with crusty wholemeal rolls.

We can buy genuine French cheese here but at 4 times the price of the NZ version.

There are also many artisan cheese makers here and I once did a tour of them and spent a fortune in Kaiwaka Cheese Shop. I could easily live in that place!

Granless Mon 18-Nov-19 07:44:23

Shropshire Blue for me ......... yummy! I do like Cheddar but only as cheese on toast.

NotSpaghetti Mon 18-Nov-19 11:14:27

Has anyone seen any of the Doolin cheeses recently? I found them in Ireland, loved them, and later (for a while), my local Tesco stocked one of them.
Would certainly like some again!

Margs Mon 18-Nov-19 11:24:51

They should see the colour of ShropShire Blue - almost DayGlo orange! But the best blue cheese ever, IMHO.