Gransnet forums

Food

Gluten free stuffing - now having doubts....

(6 Posts)
Witzend Sun 22-Dec-19 08:45:55

There will be a gluten free sister-IL on Chr. Day. Having already made a trad sausagemeat, sage and onion one to cook separately, I found a recipe for a different one that sounded nice, so just made it with breadcrumbs from a GF loaf. This to stuff the turkey with.

Now wondering whether that was daft, the GF breadcrumbs won't work properly, and it won't be nice.
Any experience/advice?
I have time (just about!) to make another!

mumofmadboys Sun 22-Dec-19 08:50:19

Would it be best to cook the GF one seperately and not stuff the Turkey?

kittylester Sun 22-Dec-19 09:04:58

There are fairly reasonable gf packet mixes that I use with gf sausagemeat. I dont trust gf bread but others might. You can also buy gf breadcrumbs which might be safer.

Merlot is an expert!

merlotgran Sun 22-Dec-19 09:24:14

I make breadcrumbs from a GF loaf and have never had any problems.

Breadcrumbs are only there for bulk. It's the other ingredients that make the stuffing nice.

Just make sure your sausage meat is gluten free and any other ingredients that might come out of a packet.

Witzend Sun 22-Dec-19 09:28:54

Thanks, merlotgran! I feel more confident about it now.

It was a celery, onion, lemon and parsley one, which I thought sounded nice, and a complete contrast to my trad sausagemeat, sage and onion. (Which will be cooked quite separately).

merlotgran Sun 22-Dec-19 09:31:14

Ha Ha, kitty. Didn't see your post.

I should add, beware of cross contamination in food preparation. Keep gf and ordinary bread well away from eachother and try and use separate chopping boards if possible.

Keep washing utensils to make sure there are no ordinary breadcrumbs lurking. When we stay with friends or family I ask if I can make my own toast under the grill and not use their toaster.

I'm sure the stuffing will be lovely. tchsmile