Gransnet forums

Food

What do you eat on Christmas Eve?

(53 Posts)
Nannylovesshopping Tue 24-Dec-19 10:59:01

Opening up the fridge this morning for milk for coffee, an overstuffed one, I thought what on earth am I going to eat today, family turning up tomorrow, but today??
What do you eat on Christmas Eve?

phoenix Tue 24-Dec-19 11:04:30

Gannon (hot, hopefully!) with sort of dauphinoise potatoes and peas.

eGJ Tue 24-Dec-19 11:07:31

Shepherds’ Pie (of course)? [actually that is what DD1 has requested]

Urmstongran Tue 24-Dec-19 11:22:06

We are going for a drink in a nice bar about 3pm then home to eat chicken thighs (in the oven soon so they won’t be too cold), good quality thick ham on barms with pickles and coleslaw. Crisps optional. Oh, and a glass of malt whiskey.
?
Merry Christmas all!

annsixty Tue 24-Dec-19 11:25:15

My H , now sadly not here this year, have always enjoyed a really nice meal on Christmas Eve, usually steak or duck breasts with a really good bottle of wine.
Tree lit up and warm comfortable house.
This year, first without him, my grownup GD and I are having rack of lamb, dauphinois potatoes, tender stem broccoli and mushrooms.
We will raise a glass to him and remember good times.
We always enjoyed this meal just as much, if not more , than Christmas dinner.

tanith Tue 24-Dec-19 11:28:21

I’ll shove some skinny chips in the oven and have fish cake or egg with them. OH and I would always have steak and chips with peas on Christmas Eve sadly no more.

felice Tue 24-Dec-19 11:47:29

Main Christmas meal here and Son in Law is preparing Lobster, with king Prawns for DGS as he is not keen on Lobster.
He has just gone to collect the fresh Lobster DGS will come down here until they are cooked as he doesn't like the cooking process.
I m looking forward to a very nice dinner.

Madgran77 Tue 24-Dec-19 11:58:17

Smoked salmon, prawns, brown bread and butter. In honour of my mum, who thought it was the ultimate in luxury in her later years! smile

Hetty58 Tue 24-Dec-19 12:02:44

Salad today as I have to 'make room' for tomorrow. I see that the local fish and chip shop is open, though - very tempting!

GrandmaMoira Tue 24-Dec-19 12:03:14

I'm cooking gammon and the rest of it will be served tomorrow with the turkey. I used to make a big curry Christmas Eve but that stopped when I had to work Christmas Eve. Now being retired I think it's too much work with all the other Christmas prep. This year I did the curry on Sunday.

Calendargirl Tue 24-Dec-19 12:04:14

The GC, 14 and 11, have come for lunch as Mum and Dad both at work. I’ve made a fish pie, plus a chocolate log and a lemon drizzle cake. The cakes really for tomorrow, but from past experience often no one very hungry by Christmas tea so they can start them today if they want.
Personally I don’t feel at all hungry, cooking seems to sap my appetite. We will be going round to elderly neighbours late afternoon, for mince pies, sausage rolls and wine, after the GC’s have gone home.

dragonfly46 Tue 24-Dec-19 12:04:17

Boeuf en Croute, dauphinois potatoes and loads of veg.

annsixty Tue 24-Dec-19 12:29:01

I like that so many treat the Christmas Eve meal as a special occasion.
It seems like “us time” while Christmas Day is for children if there are any or the whole family and can be very stressful.

Sara65 Tue 24-Dec-19 12:29:17

No idea, aga has been out of action, now turned back on, but will take hours to come up to temperature, so probably cheese, fruit and crackers, same as every day for the last week

Doodle Tue 24-Dec-19 12:31:16

phoenix please may I have some of your gannon as I have never tried it tchgrin

Witzend Tue 24-Dec-19 12:35:31

Special fish pie and petits pois.
Popular with all, and even rather fussy little Gdcs will eat the mash and peas.

anna7 Tue 24-Dec-19 12:39:48

Lamb tagine and cous cous and a nice bottle of wine.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 24-Dec-19 12:40:01

I'll eat my usual varied vegetable medley at lunch time and eat just a couple of juicy pears for tea.
I'm not being particularly good though. I made a batch of biscuits yesterday, the first of which are a bit under-cooked but edible, the second lot are fine - they've been wrapped up ready to take to sister's tomorrow. The first less than perfect lot - I must confess that there aren't many left and they're not doing me much good are they? Back to sensible eating on Boxing Day.

sodapop Tue 24-Dec-19 12:48:07

We ( Mr Soda) has cooked the gammon but we are out at a party tonight so may just sneak a small slice before we go. Trying to do as much prep as possible before guests arrive tomorrow.

Mcrc Tue 24-Dec-19 12:52:35

Tortiere-my hubby's family is from Maine and originally French Canadian. Their tradition. My mother used to make oyster stew. I hated it!

Nannylovesshopping Tue 24-Dec-19 13:11:14

Oh how lovely, what delicious food you are planning, I’ve settled on a bacon sandwich for lunch, omg never though I would turn into such a boring old f**t, must do better for dinner?

jannxxx Tue 24-Dec-19 13:15:14

a load of rubbish !!!today, went shopping very early this morning and trying a sample of the pate cheese nibbles etc,

Esther1 Tue 24-Dec-19 13:18:55

Christmas Eve is always about prepping food for tomorrow so I have always cooked sausages to eat today and enough to heat up tomorrow to have with the turkey. Also, preparing and peeling the fresh vegetables for tomorrow so cook a few today to eat with sausages.

Juno56 Tue 24-Dec-19 13:36:32

Game casserole with mash and kale.

ninathenana Tue 24-Dec-19 13:38:23

Spag bol nice and easy and not pork or poultry.