Gransnet forums

Food

It turns out you’ve been eating fish and chips wrong this whole time!

(61 Posts)
lindiann Mon 17-Feb-20 15:52:58

www.goodtoknow.co.uk/food/food-news/it-turns-out-youve-been-eating-fish-and-chips-wrong-this-whole-time-528582?utm_campaign=%%emailname_%%&utm_medium=email&utm_source=ET

what ever next lol!!!

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 17-Feb-20 15:57:50

But its the best part surely?

Dec46 Mon 17-Feb-20 16:03:59

bonkers

Cherrytree59 Mon 17-Feb-20 16:22:46

Fish and chip shop batter is too greasy for my stomach. so I whip it off an pass to DH to devour.

When my children were young our local fish and chip shop gave away free batter bits in a poke, the children loved them as much as their chips.

Callistemon Mon 17-Feb-20 16:28:40

Beer batter has to be eaten! And any batter in fact, the crispier the better.
It has to be thin and well cooked though, any 'stodge' gets left behind.

That man obviously never had to live in the days of rationing. He has lived through the years of plenty.

GagaJo Mon 17-Feb-20 16:29:50

I can't handle chip batter. My stomach the next day gets its revenge. I've learned not to eat it now.

sodapop Mon 17-Feb-20 16:33:11

I remember that too cherrytree59 we called them scraps. Lovely.

SilverDarlings12 Mon 17-Feb-20 16:35:54

Scraps in a pokey hat--lovely.

Beechnut Mon 17-Feb-20 16:41:36

We called them scrumps and got told off by mum if she found out we’d been eating them. She said they’d make us bad (ill).

May7 Mon 17-Feb-20 16:43:42

We called them crispy bits and they were a halfpenny when chips were sixpence .This was the 60s

tanith Mon 17-Feb-20 16:46:42

We called it crackling a bag for a penny, yummy.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 17-Feb-20 16:49:08

Loved the scraps

NfkDumpling Mon 17-Feb-20 16:52:20

When the DC were little we always had a bag of scraps with the fish / sausage / battered pizza and chips. It made the chips go further. Lovely mixed with mayo!

POGS Mon 17-Feb-20 17:27:38

The batter is the best bit. Penny worth of scrumps anyone.

I miss the skin on the fish.

Hell I must be a ruddy heathen.

Missfoodlove Mon 17-Feb-20 17:47:44

I live in Hull, I would love to see the reaction in a local chipper if throwing the batter away was suggested!

CanadianGran Mon 17-Feb-20 17:58:49

hmm, if you don't want batter, then don't order deep fried fish! Order grilled or poached. Love the crispy batter. Of course not something one should eat regularly, but on occasion it is delicious.

trisher Mon 17-Feb-20 18:23:41

Still do scraps for free in my local chippy, sadly I can't manage them any longer and I have to have the small f&c. DSs and DGCs like them though.

Franbern Tue 18-Feb-20 08:38:59

-Interesting comment. Must say I rarely eat that batter - but that is because I am always watching my weight and Fish & Chips is a guilty meal at the best of times.
I was brought up with eating at home what we knew as 'Jewish Fried Fish'. Light batter made from matzo meal and egg and very shallow fried. Totally different result and this fish could be eaten hot or cold.
Back in the past, when fish was a very cheap alternative to meat, I would make this at least once a week for my family. Can remember the large pile of fish (Plaice and Haddock mainly) that I would use - would probably require a mortgage to purchase that amount these days!!!

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 18-Feb-20 10:05:14

The argument has no ground.

What happens with veg/fish cooked in a tempura batter? Never seen any chef take off that batter when tasting the food.

My local chippy gave away the scraps. Lovely.

My dad used to make the best beer batter. Do miss him.

mazgoli Tue 18-Feb-20 10:10:17

The bits of batter are called gribbles where I come from and I remember them fondly. Potato slices in batter are called scallops! Who'd throw away the batter though? Ridiculous, unless like some of the posters above, and you're unable to eat it.

monkeebeat Tue 18-Feb-20 10:14:44

LOVE the batter.
6penneth of chips and scraps in a newspaper cone.
Now I have chips AND battered fish I have 3 things - the chips, the fish and the batter - best bit!!!

Anyone tried the battered fish, deep fried in BEEF dripping at Beamish?

JuliaM Tue 18-Feb-20 10:16:09

There is an award winning Fish and chip shop in Bridlington who only serve fish that has been caught by their own Trawler and Potatoes from the local farm, they look at you as though you are crazy of you refuse the mandatory shovel of free Scraps on your meal!

Grandyma Tue 18-Feb-20 10:16:44

Surely not eating the batter on fried fish is like not eating the pastry on a pie?

Lookout01 Tue 18-Feb-20 10:17:14

Thin light batter not soggy compliments the fish I think. I remember the penny bags of scraps from the chip shop when I was little! (Yum)

Riggie Tue 18-Feb-20 10:17:58

I think it used to be the case way back in history - same with pies - but they have been developed to be eaten.
Quite frankly our chippie is hit and miss with the fish quality and there are times when I would rather eat the batter and jettison the fish.