Gransnet forums

Food

What did you eat today?

(215 Posts)
fatgran57 Tue 24-Mar-20 01:13:29

I know there have been threads like this previously but it's something to do to take our minds off the virus.

I had raw overnight-soaked oats with blueberries, raspberries and banana with greek yoghurt for breakfast plus 2 mugs of tea.

Morning latte OH always makes for us

Another cup of tea.

Bowl of Thai pumpkin soup and piece of savoury toast. (very popular in Australia other places may not know what it is) plus another mug of tea.

Probably salad for tea with tomatoes, avocado, onion, cucumber, lettuce plus a veggie fritter made with grated zucchini and carrot, spring onion, chilli flakes,feta and cheddar cheese, eggs and a bit of flour.

This makes 6-8 and I have a couple a day till there are all gone.I don't get tired of having the same things for a few days.

OH has different food as he is a traditional old style eater with sausages and mash, silverside (corned beef) baked beans egg and bacon etc.

I always have some chocolate in the evening . (smile)

Maggiemaybe Thu 30-Apr-20 23:40:54

I've had a very nice day today. Breakfast was Weetabix, and peanut butter on toast. Lunch cheese and tomato on toast. Tea a roast chicken dinner with all the trimmings. Plenty of fruit and some cashew nuts in and amongst and two or maybe three glasses of red wine with our family Zoom quiz this evening. And I'm just setting the slow cooker up to do us a full English for tomorrow (our excuse being that the sausages need using up).

mumofmadboys Wed 29-Apr-20 19:14:07

I have just had spinach and chickpea curry with rice.

Maggiemaybe Wed 29-Apr-20 18:47:20

One of two miserable, self-disciplined days every week getting by on a miserable 500 calories Callistemon, to make up for the five of over-indulgence. smile It’s all Michael Mosley’s fault. Roll on tomorrow morning!

Callistemon Wed 29-Apr-20 17:43:39

a fast day
I have no idea what you mean, Maggiemaybe

Calendargirl Wed 29-Apr-20 17:42:20

Bacon, cheese, potato and onion casserole in oxo stock, with a warm baguette.
Milk pudding, made with evaporated milk and porridge oats, with a drizzle of home made redcurrant jelly.

ginny Wed 29-Apr-20 16:58:33

Tonight will be Beef Stroganoff pasta bake.

Maggiemaybe Wed 29-Apr-20 16:51:39

At risk of being derided as a higher being, I’ll just say you’re all making me salivate. I’m on a fast day and have had 2 plums so far. I’m just about to pig out with a bowl of soup and 2 slices of sourdough bread. grin

merlotgran Wed 29-Apr-20 16:45:46

Tonight will be baked salmon with a honey and mustard crust, boiled potatoes, roasted cauliflower and steamed (frozen) mixed veg.

So glad the salmon was in the delivery this afternoon because I forgot to get something out of the freezer 'just in case.'

Missfoodlove Wed 29-Apr-20 16:09:36

Greek yoghurt and Galia melon.
Home made Jerusalem artichoke soup and whole meal bread fresh from the oven.
Dinner will be cold chicken and avocado salad

Puzzler61 Wed 29-Apr-20 14:43:26

Lunch, tomato and red pepper soup with a cheese scone

Tea, Cumberland sausages, mashed potatoes and pickles.
No pud - would love one but we try to keep to just having
one at weekends when I usually make apple pie or rhubarb crumble.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 29-Apr-20 14:34:39

Fish pie
Cauliflower
Peas

Hot mango and banana salad with cream.

paddyanne Wed 29-Apr-20 14:16:50

we both had the same evening meal which is rare ,I made a greek pasticchio ,pasta shells with a lamb ragu style sauce topped with a yoghourt and egg topping .Haven't made it for years and we both enjoyed it .Tonight will be roast beef with caulifower cheese and mash for OH I'll just have the cauliflower cheese

Alishka Wed 29-Apr-20 13:52:34

Well yesterday all I had was a 'minimalist' hunk of gorgonzola before bed, cos I'd run out of painkillers and really wasn't hungry.
Now tho, with pain meds delivered, I've just scoffed kippers with a shedload of butter and I'm going to start cooking a pea and potato curry for tonight, which I'll have with rice. I chose that cos my tiny potatoes have started to sproutgrin

Pantglas2 Sun 19-Apr-20 21:10:41

Shall we all just have a default of ‘TooMuch ‘ letting higher beings glory in their superiority with their minimalist diets?

Maggiemaybe Sun 19-Apr-20 21:06:31

Scrambled egg and mushrooms on toast.
Homemade veg soup and bread.
Roast beef, mash, Yorkshires and veg.

In and amongst 2 apples, 1 orange and 2 tubes of Smarties found in the cupboard. blush A glass of wine coming up.

Just as well it’s a fast day for me tomorrow.

EllanVannin Sun 19-Apr-20 19:26:46

Usual thickly-buttered crumpets for breakfast, hot chocolate.

Roast beef, roast pots and carrots and turnip, parsnip and horseradish sauce. Strawberries and ice-cream. Coffee.

Same tomorrow.

DiscoGran Sun 19-Apr-20 18:59:28

Porridge cooked with grated apple and topped with a squeeze of honey.
Mixed salad with cottage cheese and a bit of smoked salmon.

DH currently preparing an omelette for us with all sorts of things, but mostly cheddar onions and bacon. ?

Granulation Sun 19-Apr-20 18:49:23

FAR too much home made shortbread!!!

Marmight Sun 19-Apr-20 18:42:10

Granola with fresh berries
Big plate of salad leaves, cucumber, tomatoes, avocado, pine & walnuts
Tea & cake
Lasagne & glass of?
Later - a Ferrero Rocher

Whitewavemark2 Sun 19-Apr-20 18:16:30

Granola
Crackers cheese and pickle and left over apple and bramble pudding and custard from yesterday
Haddock in orange and butter sauce, sauté potatoes and a magnum ?

lizzypopbottle Sun 19-Apr-20 17:39:50

I haven't eaten this yet but we are waiting for a take away from our local pub/restaurant, The Granby, a very famous and popular place to eat. We've ordered fish and chips and cheesecake. It should be here around 6pm. We've got some mushy peas waiting to be heated. Bliss!

On a side note, I just made sauerkraut and it will be ready to eat in a week or so. I can hardly wait. Mmm-mmmm! I'm exhausted after all the squeezing though. It's hard work but worth it. ?

Witzend Sun 19-Apr-20 09:58:34

‘School dinner’ last night - mince out of the freezer, batch cooked about 10 days ago, stretched with red lentils and carrots etc. chopped small. Boiled potatoes and a stack of Savoy cabbage that needed using up.
Just as well dh loves ‘school’ dinners!

Tonight will have curried kedgeree made with the last piece of smoked haddock from the freezer, and some chopped chives (garden) for garnish.

I don’t usually want any breakfast, except for multiple cups of coffee. For ‘brunch’ today I will be making myself a really big Thai style veg stir fry, have a lot to use up before the next big veg box on Tuesday.
Dh always gets his own lunch, same thing nearly every day, carrot sticks, hummus, a HB egg, various salad stuff.

After dinner will no doubt be eating a fair bit of chocolate, since dh bought rather a lot in M&S the other day.

Maggiemaybe Wed 15-Apr-20 18:29:00

Today it was Weetabix for breakfast, then vegetable soup made from some sorry looking specimens that needed using quickly for dinner. We're having the remainders of the broccoli and cheese quiche I made yesterday for tea, with roast veg, and I hear a rumour that DH has made a rice pudding with the spare milk we needed to use.

I'm thinking that a wine would go nicely with the three episodes of Quiz we'll be watching tonight.

Callistemon Wed 15-Apr-20 17:39:36

Poached egg on GF bread, salad with feta cheese and now about to make a stir fry.
That all sounds far too healthy so may have to have a wine or G&T as well.

Marmight Wed 15-Apr-20 17:34:58

I honestly can’t remember if I had lunch today confused. I think I’m losing the plot. I know I had breakfast - cereal & toast, then I made a couple of fruit loaves which I had to check were ok, of course. Judging by the rumbles from my stomach I’m due a feed....