Gransnet forums

Food

What have you been trying your hand at?

(67 Posts)
Rosiebee Sun 10-May-20 11:28:00

My dear stepson managed to get me some dried yeast. Mine was several years months out of date and I thought I'd have a go at making Pizza. Made up the quantity of dough suggested but it was for two pizzas and DH and I couldn't manage one each so I froze half the dough not really expecting it to do much when defrosted. I was amazed though that when I used it for pizza again the following week it was just as good. Also made a treacle and soda bread with only, just out of date bicarbonate of soda, [ a few months]. Very tasty and now I have new some soda I'll give it another go. Really enjoying my bread making efforts.

Noname Mon 11-May-20 11:24:52

I have never made sourdough before but made my starter and a couple of loaves now. Quite pleased with them!

elleks Mon 11-May-20 11:35:42

@jaylucy
I made some coffee and walnut flapjacks yesterday; recipe on the BBC GoodFood website. Funny, I've made cakes and biscuits for years, but never thought of flapjacks. They're lovely.

elleks Mon 11-May-20 11:38:17

@SuzannahM
Wait until they produce berries, and make elderberry wine instead!

janipans Mon 11-May-20 12:18:00

Biscoff biscuits (the ones hairdressers give you with your coffee). We have just finished eating the 2nd batch and I'm going to make some more today!

Elegran Mon 11-May-20 12:29:10

Oooooh, janipat could we have the recipe? I love those. You can get a jar of Biscoff spread, you know, which tastes exactly the same.

Elegran Mon 11-May-20 12:29:49

Sorry, Janipans I spelt you wrong.

Alima Mon 11-May-20 12:42:04

I made some of the “easy” scones, three ingredients including lemonade. The resulting blob of dough was enormous and very sticky. Definitely ended up with more scones than intended. DH valiantly ate a couple, declaring them a bit dry which confused me as I thought scones were supposed to be dry. DD2 also tried them and declared them delicious. Still have some lurking in the freezer if anyone is brave enough.
Think I will look up the Fork Biscuits some of you have mentioned. I will be able to prove whether they are easy or not.

squirrel5 Mon 11-May-20 13:03:31

I have been trying to run the freezer down,and found a few bags of frozen blackberries in the bottom ?how old,anyway I made a few jars of jam with them...result-taste lovely,now to make some scones to eat with the jam☺

123kitty Mon 11-May-20 13:24:55

I have had great success topping up my tan whilst drinking a glass of bubbles, proud of my multitasking abilities.

Daisyboots Mon 11-May-20 13:26:26

Rosdnoir I too made the boiled fruit cake yesterday and it was my worst cooking disaster ever I think. I cooked it in a loaf tin and it sunk in the middle. It was as though someone had cut out a rectangle 1"×4"
Most odd but was tasty nevertheless.

Clarkehouse Mon 11-May-20 13:30:29

I have been using a website called Duolingo and have started to learn Spanish. I am really enjoying it, it is a free site although there may be bits you pay for if you wish, I have avoided those and just stuck to the freebies. I am trying to do an hour a day, it keeps the brain active. There are a variety of different languages people can try.

KnittyNannie Mon 11-May-20 13:53:38

I’ve baked cakes and bread every week for many years. It’s suddenly become difficult because flour and yeast are not always easy to find. I have, however, now started making sourdough bread, which is lovely. I need to keep remembering to feed the starter!

My latest cake is chocolate and banana - a family favourite.

mrscake1 Mon 11-May-20 14:14:52

Been making tea wine, gorse cordial and baking bread. Also been painting poppies on a silk scarf. I had the kit to do it but hadn't tried it yet. It was fun but frustrating when the colours began to run together. Looking forward to trying another one.

songstress60 Mon 11-May-20 15:33:45

I cut my own hair, fixed locks on garage and shed. Never tried DIY before, and tried to fix kitchen door by removing hinges and then sanding it down.

rosenoir Mon 11-May-20 16:26:14

Daisyboots mine looked awful, loaf tin and sunk in the middle but tastes lovely.

Nanna58 Mon 11-May-20 17:24:18

Made chapattis, brilliant fun watching them puff up! Will cook with grandson when we meet eventually.

Nanna58 Mon 11-May-20 17:28:06

I’m learning Spanish online too Clarkehouse! Had to order a Spanish grammar book to help, am now strongly tempted to cover it in old wallpaper like we used to with our school books to give me the whole retro experience!?

grandMattie Mon 11-May-20 17:28:12

Everyone baking only? I’m trying patchwork and making a small quilt for my GDs with offcuts from dresses and stuff I have made for them over the years.

May7 Mon 11-May-20 18:22:33

I'm learning to play piano. It's an online course. I can play twinkle twinkle little star and ode to joy

Lisagran Mon 11-May-20 18:30:07

I’ve made a variety of biscuits, including these Hobnob style ones. With all sweet recipes, I always halve the amount of sugar, as I find them too sweet otherwise. So used 4 oz (about 100g). 8 oz is about 225g

Lisagran Mon 11-May-20 18:31:22

(Also, I didn’t have syrup, so I used honey. Very more-ish)

Vintagegirl Mon 11-May-20 19:05:47

I have made two 'crazy paving' knee rugs out of odd balls of wool in house, now trying some crochet things, with help of youtube demos. I have made a lot of facemasks as had some nice cotton dress fabric unused from 40 yrs ago.... now out of elastic and correct coloured thread so will stop. It is impossible to get online items unless wait til end of June. Garden is looking good from extra attention and lovely weather. I have moved two ton of stone chippings that were delivered to front of house just before things closed.

Qwerty Mon 11-May-20 20:02:00

Flat Breads - a first for me. They were very nice, though quite salty, even DH commented and he likes salt. I checked the recipe 1 tablespoon oil.... 1 teaspoon salt! So that's why. No yeast needed quite quick. I'd make them again. Must try Boiled Fruit Bread as someone else suggested and read through all the other suggestions.

Daisyboots Mon 11-May-20 22:20:56

Rosenoir very much like mine except it was actually in the middle. Husband got at it before I got a chance to take a photo but as you say it was very tasty.

Callistemon Mon 11-May-20 22:52:19

I've never had a failure with a boiled fruit cake, they always rise - did you let the melted mixture cool down completely before adding the beaten eggs and SR flour?
I make them in a deep round cake tin not a loaf tin.
I hope they tasted all right, though rosenoir and daisyboots

Biscoff biscuits, lovely. I may try those.

Yes, I've been doing crafts too!