Gransnet forums

Food

Revolting breakfasts

(86 Posts)
Teetime Thu 28-May-20 10:09:27

I have just watched DH toast a fruited teacake and spread one side with marmite and one with honey. I thought it was bad enough on his avocado squashed up with Worcester sauce days.
Anyone else watching a revolting breakfast?

Audun Fri 29-May-20 10:20:57

I was staying in a B and B and was given a runny poached egg. Just couldn’t eat it, so when my kind landlady had left the dining-room I wrapped it in my paper napkin, pocketed it, and managed to dispose of it in the bin in the street, all the time worrying it would disintegrate...in my pocket, on the way to the meeting... can’t eat runny eggs, ever.

Aepgirl Fri 29-May-20 10:22:29

Could he be pregnant, TeaTime?

Boolya Fri 29-May-20 10:34:17

A bowl of semolina with a puddle of melted margarine in the middle in Kazakhstan. It filled a gap but wasn’t appetising.

Teetime Fri 29-May-20 10:36:34

Oh could he be pregnant- no we have maintained a strict 2 metres apart at all times - although when he goes off walking by the river who knows!!!

cupcake1 Fri 29-May-20 10:43:35

My DH was ‘conned’ by the waiter in Sri Lanka to eat their national curry dish for breakfast and in the middle was a raw egg! It was yuk, he should have declined like me, he hates curries anyway but the raw egg did it! He was ill for two days!! ?

angiestivy Fri 29-May-20 10:50:21

I love marmite & mashed banana on toast, sweet & savoury tastes together do it for me.

Farawaynanny Fri 29-May-20 11:05:03

Avocados served any way at all are my nightmare breakfast. In fact, a nightmare at any time. I’ve tried hard to like them as they seem to be served with everything these days but the slimy texture makes me heave! ?

Willow10 Fri 29-May-20 11:11:06

On an overnight flight back from America, I hadn't slept a wink for 24 hours. Tired and feeling really unwell, I was so thankful to see the breakfast trolley coming towards me. The smell of coffee and warm croissants was lovely. Then the flight attendant dropped a small tub on my lap tray. I asked if I could have croissants and she said "No Maam, you ordered vegetarian!' The tub contained apple puree. confused I wanted to tip it over her head!

PennyWhistle Fri 29-May-20 11:17:58

When working in Argentina, breakfast in the international hotel was an eye opener. I selected the usual toast, cereal and some fruit most mornings. But the international selection included curry, chinese soup, curried eggs, pizza, cakes and many things I was unable to identify! Thankfully it was serve yourself, so easy to avoid items not suited to my sensitivities smile

jaylucy Fri 29-May-20 11:25:12

I did once have Bran Flakes with apricots in syrup plus milk for breakfast - in the post natal ward of the hospital - no cornflakes on the menu that day and made the Bran Flakes just about edible!!

sarahellenwhitney Fri 29-May-20 11:41:42

Breakfast has always been my favourite meal and 'wowed' on many occasions at the fabulous selection put on by hotels/motels when in NY. Best eggs benedict or pancakes with maple syrup I ever tasted if having any room left after visiting the cold buffet.

Rumbabba Fri 29-May-20 11:54:07

Are you sure he’s not pregnant! ???

homefarm Fri 29-May-20 11:55:54

I do so agree with you.,My husband cannot understand why I do not like eating slimy stuff. I suppose it's what you're brought up with.

00mam00 Fri 29-May-20 12:00:09

First day breakfast at a Ger camp in Mongolia: speciality seaweed soup which was so greasy I couldn’t eat it, then boiled egg and Parmesan cheese on toast which was ok, but the mutton samosas packed with mutton plus potato samosas was just too much. Every meal and almost every course was mutton.

inishowen Fri 29-May-20 12:02:09

We stayed in a small hotel in Germany. Every morning we asked for scrambled eggs. They were made fresh and had herbs chopped into them. All was fine except the waitress brought one big plate to our table and set it between us. Every morning we said "two plates" and mimed two settings. She never got it and we continued to share from one plate!

JackyB Fri 29-May-20 12:11:20

We were backpacking in Sicily and had stayed at a little Pensione in Agrigento. Didn't realise they didn't do breakfast, so we were starving and got the first thing we saw once we'd left them that morning which was a cold slice of pizza from a van outside the railway station.

My DS2 often eats last night's leftovers for breakfast - including pizza.

Riverwalk Fri 29-May-20 12:47:08

I love this thread!

Breakfast is my favourite meal and I eat a lovely one every single day - no skimping on time or ingredients!

About 40 years ago on an Aeroflot early morning flight I was served caviar, dry bread & a glass of red wine grin

Patticake123 Fri 29-May-20 12:47:26

I once worked with a woman who would have a thick layer of marmalade on her fried bread and eat it with the bacon and eggs. Used to put me off my meal!

JanT8 Fri 29-May-20 13:26:10

I sometimes treat myself to a pack of ripe avocados, one per day for two days at breakfast, but eaten just as they are ! Love them.

GreenGran78 Fri 29-May-20 13:30:15

Framilode I often refuse meals when flying long-haul. They try to adjust to time changes with the meals they serve, but it doesn't always agree with what my 'internal clock' is saying. Having hardly moved a muscle for endless hours, too, results in a lack of appetite. I have been offered some very strange breakfasts on planes, in my time.

My daughter was travelling in South America when, after a very early start on a trek, they stopped for a meal. The only food on offer was guinea pig. She was starving, so she ate it. It tasted rather like chicken, she said.

magshard20 Fri 29-May-20 13:59:47

MiniMoon
My husband's doctor years ago, told him to leave off the Milk from his corn flakes and instead to Orange Juice, it was never tried but the thought still lingers. Urgg
But my late father used to say it doesn't matter about eating foods in any sort of order "because it all goes down the same way and mixes up anyway"!!

NonnaJazz Fri 29-May-20 15:29:52

My current ‘fave’ is almond butter on toast, topped with a mashed banana...utterly yummy....

kissngate Fri 29-May-20 15:36:53

While we were staying in a hotel in Spain I watched a spanish woman cut two bread rolls in half and scoop out the middle. She then poured olive oil in both of them and dipped the bread back in. Once that was gone she ate the rolls.

kentmaid Fri 29-May-20 15:39:29

magshard : I don’t like milk so I use orange juice on my muesli. I prepare it just before I go for my shower. By the time I return, it has turned into a tasty porridge.

Now, it’s only milk which I don't like - all other dairy products are fine from plain yoghurt to clotted cream. I have been known to add a dollop of Greek yoghurt - just to keep my calcium levels up, you understand.

The milk thing may date back to those school milks. I can’t remember drinking milk at home and was forced to drink it at school. Didn’t stay with me long!

Witzend Fri 29-May-20 18:47:02

I often make a curried kedgeree with smoked haddock, not for breakfast, though a Singaporean relative of dh’s once finished the previous evening’s leftovers for breakfast Dead easy and very tasty. I never add hard boiled eggs, though, don’t feel the need. Garnish with lots of chopped parsley, chives, or the green of spring onions.