Gransnet forums

Food

What's everyone having for dinner?

(1001 Posts)
PinkCakes Mon 08-Jun-20 18:23:35

What are you all having to eat tonight? I cook every evening and have been getting bored with the usual meals. Tonight, I've made a Chicken Jambalaya - it's a Hello Fresh recipe I had ages ago, but I bought all the ingredients and have adapted it a bit.

I've made a carrot cake for afters.... with cream grin

MiniMoon Fri 13-Nov-20 17:30:26

Today's main meal was mushroom and bacon risotto. I made crispy bacon and mushrooms for the garnish.

Nortsat Fri 13-Nov-20 17:32:22

Homemade hamburgers, homemade potato wedges and a yellow pepper and baby spinach salad.

(I wish it was a wine night ... but we overdid it during the week ...)

EllanVannin Fri 13-Nov-20 17:35:59

Usual haddock, chips and peas. I don't mind once a week though as I've done alright for grub this week.

TerriBull Fri 13-Nov-20 18:42:50

It's Friday, so that means fish! a hangover from childhood. Lemon sole, jacket potatoes, with some green vegetables, possibly green beans or peas, or maybe both!

honeyrose Fri 13-Nov-20 19:08:37

Cottage pie with beef mince that’s been in the freezer. Topping is mashed potato mixed with parsnip and sweet potato, so it’s a bit orangey in colour. Served with carrots and peas. DH has very conservative tastes in food! Good old English fayre!

Gingster Fri 13-Nov-20 19:16:07

Sausage and mash, sprouts and carrots followed by chocolate cake and Icecrem. Very nice.

Puzzler61 Sun 13-Dec-20 08:38:09

Sausagemeat plait, garlic potato gratin, broccoli and carrots.
Chocolate cheesecake for afters (weekend treat to have dessert)

Liz46 Sun 13-Dec-20 09:45:04

Yesterday I cooked diced beef, onions and very fresh carrots from the farm shop in the slow cooker all day. I put suet pastry on top and transferred it to a hot oven so that it was crispy. Served it with boiled potatoes and broccoli.

Not too healthy so we don’t have it often but my husband raved about it.

annsixty Sun 13-Dec-20 10:21:50

As I am now back in charge of cooking after a long break we are having roast beef, Yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes with mashed root veg and cauliflower.
No pudding after that.

Greenfinch Sun 13-Dec-20 10:44:12

Beef casserole with new potatoes and sprouts follwed by apple pie ( not homemade I am afraid ). On Saturday kitchen yesterday there was a discussion about what constituted a pie. Does it need just a pastry top or must it have a bottom and sides as well? The general consensus was that it was the latter but I was of the opinion it was the former. The other one we have always called a tart Does it depend on where you live?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 13-Dec-20 10:53:26

Chicken and leek hotpot
Mashed potato
Sprouts

Callistemon Sun 13-Dec-20 11:20:27

Chicken portions
Potatoes Boulangère (we have no cream to make dauphinoise, perhaps just as well)
Cabbage
Carrots

Gooseberries and custard

Nanna58 Sun 13-Dec-20 11:46:18

Easy Tesco recipe , throw diced potatoes and meatballs in a tray , roast, then when brown sprinkle on smoked paprika and put in cherry tomatoes and bag of baby spinach. After 10 mins make wells to crack in eggs then cook til done. Delicious

glammanana Sun 13-Dec-20 12:55:45

I've just finished cooking Lamb shanks for dinner tonight witch I will have about 5/6pm,I cook one for my next door neighbour every Sunday I'm sure its the only proper meal he has all week since his wife died a couple of years ago during the week I will make him some home made soup from left over veg,tonight we are having rice pudding for dessert made the way my nana made it with clotted cream.

glammanana Sun 13-Dec-20 12:56:38

^ which^ not witch tchhmm

Jaxjacky Sun 13-Dec-20 13:41:44

Duck legs in hoisin sauce, not home made, new potatoes, I love the Cypriot ones you can now, cauliflower and carrots. No dessert, we rarely eat them, my DH still has half an Easter egg in the fridge!

ginny Sun 13-Dec-20 13:58:49

Lamb chimp chops for us. Minty mash, carrots, cauliflower and sprouts.
Special treat for pud, Portuguese custard tarts.

travelsafar Sun 13-Dec-20 14:04:44

Chicken breasts with stuffing roast potatoes, brussels and fresh carrots. A quick and easy dinner as i have been busy all morning putting up more lights and sorting out tablecloths, napkins etc for christmas day. We also put out the last Christmas cards we both received from out mums. They take both pride of place in our little display of cards. Vaccuming done both up and down stairs due to the bits of tinsel falling off the lights from previous use. smile

Auntieflo Sun 13-Dec-20 14:08:49

Cold gammon, dauphinoise potatoes, carrots and savoy cabbage. Probably ice cream afterwards.

Ginny. I love chump chops, never mind the chimp ones ?
Hope I haven't offended you. I have already had two bloopers today, and don't want any more.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 13-Dec-20 14:08:56

Every few weeks we have a roast lunch takeaway from a very good rural gastropub. Today OH had lamb, I had pheasant and son had pork. All delicious. For pudding we had two of my homemade ice creams - lemon (my favourite) and clotted cream. We drank a very nice Pinot noir.

DavidFresko Thu 17-Dec-20 11:41:20

Tonight I had made grilled vegetables and it was great. Recently I started thinking about effect of junk food for my body and decide to using less meat and junk food in general.

Puzzler61 Thu 17-Dec-20 15:35:26

I’ll have salmon and oven roasted veg: peppers, tomatoes, onions, courgettes and sweet potato.
DavidF I don’t eat much meat either, by choice.

annsixty Thu 17-Dec-20 16:05:27

Puzzler I too love roasted veg with salmon , one of my favourite meals and so easy to cook.
I have had a fairly busy day for me, a very large Sainsbury’s order to pack away and some much needed tidying up.
I got some mince out of the freezer for cottage pie but I didn’t like the smell when it thawed, I think it has been in too long.
So, a rethink, sadly at the moment ,no plan B.

Kate1949 Thu 17-Dec-20 16:10:17

I've made a cottage pie. We'll have it with green beans, broccoli and gravy.

Sarnia Thu 17-Dec-20 16:11:48

annep1

Those meals sound so tasty. In contrast I had a small burger, boiled potatoes with a little butter, and broccoli. And a square of chocolate. I'll have a pear later.

Ooooh, the willpower to have just one square of chocolate. Respect!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion