Gransnet forums

Food

Snacking

(62 Posts)
kittylester Fri 19-Jun-20 17:45:35

Apparently, people are snacking a lot during lockdown.

It's not something we have ever done - think how wide I'd be if we did - so we don't have snacky stuff in. We have fruit on the kitchen table, crisps which are occasionally (though rarely) eaten at lunch time and some chocolate as a sweet treat sometimes in the evening.

Do you snack and, if you do, what do you snack on?

Callistemon Sat 20-Jun-20 10:37:13

DH is snacking but I'm trying not to apart from fruit.
Even so, guess who is the one who has put weight on.

My neighbour said she is regularly baking cakes and they are eating cake every day. They are both as slender as reeds.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 20-Jun-20 10:39:31

Well I’m a real sinner, and like MissAdventure my life is one long snack , but I’m happy

Coco51 Sat 20-Jun-20 10:43:44

Milk and milkshake my big downfall

Scissordolly Sat 20-Jun-20 11:07:39

My son has lost a stone since he has been working from home. He says at work people are continually making tea and coffee and asking if anyone would like one. He says it's hard to say no when it's being made for you and set on your desk!

Phloembundle Sat 20-Jun-20 11:08:30

My son buys me pretzel pieces from Sainbury's American section. I love the Snyders of Hanover honey and mustard ones. I must stop soon as I am now a lard bucket.

vickya Sat 20-Jun-20 11:13:36

I love nuts and crisps but had to stop snacking and only do it on Wednesdays now post weigh -in (Weightwatcher) . I keep grapes and slices of banana in the freezer to snack on. Fruit is 'free' of points. I keep plain biscuits too. Shortcake ones, ginger, malted. And I eat sugarfree sweets.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 20-Jun-20 11:16:49

Biscuits that I make, the favourites have ginger and cinnamon in them, so I kid myself they are good for us! Mainly done because my DH needs to put on weight!! Srangely enough the weight is going on me!!

Scissordolly Sat 20-Jun-20 11:19:40

At beginning of lockdown I bought a very large bag of salted toffees on eBay. Absolutely delicious! We suck them to avoid fillings coming out and a trip to the dentist who wouldn't see us anyway. We are now on the last few sweets of the 2nd lot!
We ration them to 1 or 3 sweets each per evening. Sure a little of what you fancy does you good!

Saggi Sat 20-Jun-20 11:30:03

‘Luckily’!! I have an ulcer.... so since diagnosis I eat smaller meals ...4 times a day. My day starts at 6am though... and was told strictly nothing after 6.30 pm as it causes reflux, which in turn has wrecked my oesophagus,and burnt hole in stomach (ulcer)....so I stick to my doctors advice 90% of time. When I dont I suffer....I’ve lost 1 stone in weight ... and learnt snacking is a no-no and overeating is gluttony. The only ‘sin’ i avoid assiduously! My ulcer may kill me one day , but for now it’s actually keeping me healthier!

Lupin Sat 20-Jun-20 11:50:52

My downfall is cheese, and marmite rice cakes. If I buy biscuits or crisps I can't leave them alone, so I don't buy them.
Sometimes I go hunting through the cupboards for something - anything- that resembles a snack and find myself eating cubes of jelly or spoonsful of peanut butter.
Just lately I have been trying mug cakes and mug meals, just one serving of each of a suitable size - no leftovers. These I treat as a meal, not a smack in an effort to control my portions. They are fun to do and yummy to eat.

Juicylucy Sat 20-Jun-20 12:12:51

Oh dear my list is endless
Crisps
Sausage rolls
Pita bread and dips
Bananas
Jaffa cakes
Scotch eggs
Toast
Popcorn
Pringle’s
I wished you hadn’t asked. This is lockdown snacking, I’ve got it under control now. Luckily I’m still a size 12.

Rosiebee Sat 20-Jun-20 12:24:48

I don't snack during the day but I made a batch of Nigella's Choc Chip Cookies, expecting GC to come round and pick up most of them. They weren't able to come and I've had to limit myself to one cookie a day.[I admit to some cheating.] Even when they had started to go a bit stale, they were still yummy.
It's evening time since lockdown, that I find hardest, when DH comes back from kitchen with crisps or nuts. Yes I know I shouldn't buy them but I see them as our little treats when doing current weekly shop. Previously I only bought them at Christmas.

Bijou Sat 20-Jun-20 12:33:35

I never used to snack between meals but when I was undergoing treatment for cancer the oncologist told me to have something to eat between meals. I now have a cup of tea or coffee and a biscuit.

Gramann Sat 20-Jun-20 12:35:37

I'm the same - I have to clean my teeth early evening or I would be snacking all evening!!

sodapop Sat 20-Jun-20 12:35:55

Juicylucy how do you stay size 12 with those lovely treats, my favourites too.

sodapop Sat 20-Jun-20 12:37:09

lemongrove your crumpet made my mouth water grin

Buttonjugs Sat 20-Jun-20 12:59:56

@Gramann I do that too!

NanaPlenty Sat 20-Jun-20 13:21:26

Half way through lockdown I decided enough was enough - something had to change. I’m now on a great healthy eating plan, low carb no sugar, no processed foods. Made a great banana loaf which I can have as a snack or dark 85% choc square. I’m four weeks in , I’ve lost 7lb and am feeling much better??

grandtanteJE65 Sat 20-Jun-20 13:33:03

Raisins, Marie biscuits and sometimes nuts.

I am underweight and trying to gain weight.

JackyB Sat 20-Jun-20 14:05:22

If I don't have crisps or biscuits in the house, I don't miss them. I recently tried counting calories and found I would be fine if I just stuck to meals. Snacks are over and above the calorie allowance.

Sometimes, though, I can't resist, and will buy a packet of crisps (which I naughtily crunch in the car on the way home) or biscuits. One biscuit with a cup of tea or coffee is just no option for me, though, it's rarely less than 3 - and that's only whilst the tea is brewing!

I'll randomly open the fridge and chew a stick of celery or a chunk of cheese, though. Bananas are the only fruit I will absent-mindedly chomp outside mealtimes. I have to force myself to eat an apple.

Love cashews, though - I agree that it's pointless to sell them in resealable packs!

Gma29 Sat 20-Jun-20 16:51:22

I rarely snack during the day, but it will be something sweet mid-afternoon if I do. I am dreadful in the evenings though, Again, it will almost always be something sweet, (fruit, cake, biscuits, puddings etc), although I’m not a big fan of chocolate. I don’t really ever eat savoury snacks of any sort.

hollysteers Sat 20-Jun-20 18:48:43

I don’t snack a lot and sometimes even forget to eat, but I do get the ‘munchies’ from time to time say around 10 in the evening and have Ryvita or similar (sesame seed is nice) with cheese and Branston pickle.
I enjoy a Bounty bar too?

Lilylaundry Sat 20-Jun-20 19:06:10

At the beginning of the week I hard boil three eggs and snack on those during the evenings when snacking becomes too difficult to resist. Sliced hard boiled egg together with a sliced tomato, bit of spinach and ground pepper. It makes me feel quite saintly, having 'stepped away' from the biscuit tin.

Happysexagenarian Sat 20-Jun-20 20:28:51

I've always been a snacker, even before lockdown.
Chocolate in any shape or form
Biscuits
Cake
Cheese
Fruit, mostly bananas or berries
Did I mention chocolate
I have no willpower and I'm not keen on exercise or dieting so I have put on a stone during lockdown, and I don't give a damn.

Callistemon Sat 20-Jun-20 20:34:46

and sometimes even forget to eat
I have never understood that concept but I do have a DD who says that too.
She was always a picky eater, unlike the rest of the family.