Gransnet forums

Food

Full English anyone?

(111 Posts)
Puzzler61 Tue 28-Jul-20 07:23:27

DH asked did I want anything before he left for Golf. I immediately thought “bacon, sausages, mushrooms, tomatoes, hash browns, scrambled egg, and fried potato slices”.
I won’t have that for breakfast, but I do really fancy it sometimes.
I can almost smell it cooking! ? ?

What’s your usual breakfast?
What would you love to have?

GreenGran78 Tue 28-Jul-20 12:38:03

My family think that I am strange. My breakfast consists of a large bowl of citrus fruits, every day. I never want anything else.
When on holiday, though, I start off with my citrus, but can happily eat a full English afterwards. I rarely eat bacon, sausages or black pudding at home.

Chicklette Tue 28-Jul-20 12:50:16

Some soft fruits, fat free plain yoghurt and a sprinkling of homemade granola (which is lovely if I do say so myself!) I’m never hungry in the mornings and eat because I should.

Daddima Tue 28-Jul-20 12:53:41

I agree with missdeke and sodapop. Baked beans belong on top of toast or a Scotch pie.
I’d usually have toasted Warburton’s seeded batch with banana and honey.

jusnoneed Tue 28-Jul-20 12:54:12

Usual a cup of coffee, occasionally a banana if there's one in the fruit bowl.

Would like poached eggs on toast, but cannot face the hassle/mess of making them first at 6.30am.
Couldn't stomach a full fry up either, would weigh heavy all day.

Shirls52000 Tue 28-Jul-20 13:11:18

Avocado mashed on toast with poached eggs on the top is my favourite, or a muffin with smoked salmon and poached eggs on top .... yum

newnanny Tue 28-Jul-20 13:12:12

Once a week I cook a full English. Sausage, bacon, hash brown, scrambled egg, baked beans and toast. Sometimes I am very indulgent and have a fishcake too. I am not as restrained as most on GN. I do cook in oven though so not fried.

Maggymay Tue 28-Jul-20 13:13:39

Porridge for me, but I do enjoy a full English when we stay in a B and B.

SueDonim Tue 28-Jul-20 13:19:09

I’m not a morning person so breakfast doesn’t much interest me. I have the same thing every day, a Weetabix and two cups of a coffee. The supermarket sent me Weetabix Protein last week. It’s like eating cereal with gravel in it. ?

grandtanteJE65 Tue 28-Jul-20 13:25:04

Bacon, eggs and baked beans after Mass on Sunday mornings.

(Sometimes).

Otherwise, toast with marmelade and coffee, or yougurt on weekdays. Porridge when I am seriously trying to put on weight.

Feelingmyage55 Tue 28-Jul-20 13:29:57

I will contribute Stornaway black pudding, also kippers for those who like them. Please bake them in foil in the aga so that the smell doesn’t annoy those who are not partial. I will poach my egg if I may.

Feelingmyage55 Tue 28-Jul-20 13:30:53

StornOway spell check jumped in

eazybee Tue 28-Jul-20 13:40:02

Had breakfast this morning in a view point car park: croissant and coffee. Most years go out early (6 oclock-ish) on a fine summer morning to a beauty spot with a companion indulging his latent boy scout, for a full English cooked on a camping stove, once an ancient primus, but this year because of fire risk content to have uncooked, and un jammed croissants because of the wasps. Still magic.

tidyskatemum Tue 28-Jul-20 13:49:06

The mere thought of lorne sausage makes me shudder! On the other hand, Scottish black pudding is so much nicer than the Lancashire stuff with lumps of fat in it. Add some smoked Ayrshire bacon, a proper sausage, a couple of grilled mushrooms, granary toast and marmalade and coffee and you’ve got me! Only happens when we’re in a hotel, though......

LuckyFour Tue 28-Jul-20 14:14:14

I have a small bowl of cereal with fruit. I'd like a much bigger bowl of cereal with fruit. Trying to avoid putting weight on. At present under 10 stone but don't want to go over.

Glimble Tue 28-Jul-20 14:32:30

I often have a bacon sandwich or eggs (scrambled, boiled or poached). I do like the full English occasionally, especially if someone else is cooking it.

HurdyGurdy Tue 28-Jul-20 15:37:46

My favourite breakfast, but so unhealthy, it's a treat, is very crispy unsmoked streaky bacon in a very soft white bap spread with Lurpak and plenty of fresh ground black pepper.

My husband tells me I don't cook bacon, but cremate it

Blossoming Tue 28-Jul-20 15:38:17

Usual: Porridge with cranberries and flaked almonds, except for Sundays when it’s a bacon butty. I couldn’t eat a ‘full English’, too much food in one go for me.

Evie64 Tue 28-Jul-20 16:08:21

Puzzler, I've only just read this post. I've missed the breakfast!sad Had toast with peanut butter....... poor substitute sad

sodapop Tue 28-Jul-20 16:25:19

I love my bacon cremated as well HurdyGurdy drives my husband mad.smile

Puzzler61 Tue 28-Jul-20 16:34:00

Sorry Evie64 , the aga has gone cool now . ?
Next time do come and join us - we even had Kippers from Feelingmyage.

(The finest of fish in my opinion, with a little thin slice of brown bread and butter)

lizzypopbottle Tue 28-Jul-20 16:42:14

Evie64 crunchy peanut butter on toast is an excellent way to start the day!

Phoebes Tue 28-Jul-20 16:51:06

We are creatures of habit! Day 1 we have omelette, in my case with cheese and tomatoes and a slice of toast and half a banana, with a cup of herb tea. Day 2 we have porridge, in my case made with soya milk and half a sliced banana with a squirt of runny honey and sunflower and pumpkin seeds on top, again with a cup of herb tea. We really enjoy our breakfasts!

4allweknow Tue 28-Jul-20 23:14:36

Scrambled eggs with a little chopped up smoked salmon. Or, own made up muesli.

Shizam Tue 28-Jul-20 23:22:20

Boiled eggs, brown sourdough toast, Irish butter on top. And loose leaf tea from a pot. Very important in a bone china cup! I’m getting quirky as I age.

twiglet77 Tue 28-Jul-20 23:44:41

I rotate between Alpen, Weetabix, porridge (in winter), toast and marmalade, scrambled eggs on toast, or bacon, fried tomato, mushrooms and egg on toast. One day a week I go to work for the morning instead of the evening and then I just make a smoothie with greek yogurt, banana and peanut butter, with a handful of porridge oats. I love a cooked breakfast but twice a week is enough, and it will be a late one, more of a brunch. Instant coffee with milk and one sugar.