Gransnet forums

Food

Full English anyone?

(111 Posts)
Puzzler61 Tue 28-Jul-20 07:23:27

DH asked did I want anything before he left for Golf. I immediately thought “bacon, sausages, mushrooms, tomatoes, hash browns, scrambled egg, and fried potato slices”.
I won’t have that for breakfast, but I do really fancy it sometimes.
I can almost smell it cooking! ? ?

What’s your usual breakfast?
What would you love to have?

janipans Tue 28-Jul-20 10:37:05

I have just had a 2 egg omelette with a big spoonful of left over vegetarian chilli con carne (mushrooms instead of meat!). My favourite breakfast is omelette and leftovers - chilli, ratatouille, pealla, etc.
I then usually only need a mug of homemade soup for lunch.
Lost 2 stones a couple of years ago and this hasn't made me put it back on. Variety and the spice of life - that's my breakfast motto!

GrandmasueUK Tue 28-Jul-20 10:38:34

Full English, without beans, but with black pudding would be wonderful, and only on holiday. I've just had smoked salmon on sourdough toast with a home-made cappuccino. So good! I usually have a couple of slices of seeded toast if anything, but always my coffee. Occasionally I have kippers. I only drink tea when I'm ill or pregnant! (That's now a distant memory.) grin

NemosMum Tue 28-Jul-20 10:38:52

Usual: overnight oats with kefir, 2 brazil nuts and 5 walnut halves + 1 boiled egg on some days. Coffee. Ideal: very soft scrambled eggs, smoked salmon, capers, wholemeal buttered toast. Large pot of very good black coffee. Mmmmm!

Craftycat Tue 28-Jul-20 10:46:09

Toast & Marmite! Love it & have it most days but a nice poached egg on toast is a favourite too.
We are very taken with sourdough at the moment- especially the sourdough crumpets with a poached egg!

lizzypopbottle Tue 28-Jul-20 10:59:17

I love crumpets but they have to be Warburtons (other brands of crumpets are available) with real, salted butter running out the bottom. Only one each, though, and they are a mid-morning snack rather than breakfast. This indulgence drives the obsession with oats and apples!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 28-Jul-20 10:59:49

Cereal like Porridge, muesli, granola one day various on the next from kippers to boiled egg to egg and bacon etc.

GagaJo Tue 28-Jul-20 11:07:29

Mmmm Craftycat. I LOVE Marmite. I take a big jar with me when I go overseas for work.

Largolass Tue 28-Jul-20 11:12:27

I'll have a full Scottish Puzzler if you're cooking, will bring my tatties scones, black pudding and I prefer link sausages?

biba70 Tue 28-Jul-20 11:13:44

I could not ever face a full English ... fruit, yogurt and small amount of Fruit and Fibre or good quality Muesli.

EllanVannin Tue 28-Jul-20 11:18:52

Oh, I've had churros Pantglas, yummy.

Suzan05 Tue 28-Jul-20 11:39:35

Porridge made with half milk and half water, a few blueberries on top, no sugar, honey etc.
Scrambled eggs, usually two, no milk or butter and no toast.

Avocado slices with a poached egg on top, sprinkled with black pepper........yum!
It’s really good to see what others ladies are having. ?

JaneRn Tue 28-Jul-20 11:41:35

I love a Full English, in my case no bacon and vegerian sausage and definitely hash browns. My late husband ate Laverbread . Horrible slimy stuff but he liked it. Nowadays I usually have just toast and marmalade- lots of butter of course - or porridge with cream and demerara sugar on top. I don't think this falls into the category of healthy eating which we are told to obey but only of course if we are overweight.
!

Megs36 Tue 28-Jul-20 11:47:57

Lovely full English! We sometimes have it for our tea (evening meal) especially if I can’t get enthusiastic about anything different.

leeds22 Tue 28-Jul-20 11:54:33

Oh yuk, the thought of a fried breakfast turns my stomach. Porridge and fresh fruit for me. Avo on toast for lunch today, yummy.

timetogo2016 Tue 28-Jul-20 11:57:05

OOOHHH we love a full english at any time of the day.
We don`t like potatoes with it though.
We have also replaced a sunday roast with one and it tasted so much better strangly.

Bluebellwould Tue 28-Jul-20 12:01:02

It’s usually 2 cold hard boiled eggs with 30g of cheese, preferably Gouda or cambazola, and to ring changes 20g of nuts instead of eggs. Yummy.

Funnygran Tue 28-Jul-20 12:08:18

Porridge made with skimmed milk with banana on top through the week. Boiled eggs and brown toast at weekends. I don’t know why as weekends are much the same as weekdays when you are retired. I did use to like the choices in hotel breakfast buffets but I suppose that’s a thing of the past now.

lindiann Tue 28-Jul-20 12:12:21

Yumm!!! Full English love it and my Fire Alarm always cheers me on smile

Applegran Tue 28-Jul-20 12:13:20

I don't eat till lunch time and find I don't want breakfast now. But actually reading some of these posts reminds me how delicious they can be!

Mealybug Tue 28-Jul-20 12:17:44

A cup of tea and a slice of brown toast, I couldn't eat a big breakfast but come lunchtime then I could manage it lol

Grany Tue 28-Jul-20 12:18:13

I love the vegi version Big juicy mushroom, egg, tomato mashed avocado, spinach, qorn sausage, toast. At Jade a French cafe in Woolwich

EEJit Tue 28-Jul-20 12:20:34

Stop it. You're making me hungry.

Riverwalk Tue 28-Jul-20 12:26:57

I'm the queen of breakfasts and eat a big one every single day!

Always savoury, no fruit, cereal or bread.

Various combinations of: eggs, tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, smoked salmon, avocado, cheese, ham, marinated tofu, very occasionally crispy bacon, and proper coffee cafe ??

Bijou Tue 28-Jul-20 12:28:58

Cannot remember when I last had a fill English.
I have porridge, half milk half water with prunes or raisins made overnight ready to microwave in the morning or sometimes if my legs are not too stiff, toast and Marmite.

sodapop Tue 28-Jul-20 12:29:37

I love kedgeree as well pantglas, don't see it so much nowadays.

I agree missdeke no baked beans, ruins a good breakfast. Definitely fresh tomatoes as well not tinned.