Gransnet forums

Food

Recipe for Tournedos Rossini anyone please

(33 Posts)
kittylester Wed 05-Aug-20 13:03:22

DH is 75 on Friday and has expressed a wish to have Tournedos Rossini for dinner.

Because I spoil him, I have been looking a recipes and noe seem to be as I remember it.

Has anyone got a good recipe - please.

paddyanne Wed 05-Aug-20 13:20:16

I've got a recipe in a professional cookbook for it but its for ten servings ,.I'll give you that and you can adgust for number .
100g BUTTER
10X TOURNEDOS OF120G
CROUTONS X10
FOIS GRAS SLICES X 10
MADEIRA
DEMI -GLACE
TRUFFLE

HEAT BUTTER SEASON AND COOK THE TOURNEDOS QUICKLY ON BOTH SIDES UNTIL BROWN

DRESS THE CROUTONS ON PLATTER REMOVE STRINGS FROM TOURNADOS PLACE ON CROUTONS WITH FOIS GRAS ON TOP OF EACH

REMOVE FAT FROM PAN ADD MADEIRA AND REDUCE SLIGHTLY ADD DEMI-GLACE REHEAT AND REDUCE SLIGHTLY TO TASTE .STRAIN OVER THE TOURNEDOS AND PLACE A SLICE OF TRUFFLE ON TOP

paddyanne Wed 05-Aug-20 13:22:00

Demi glace is a combination of a brown sauce and a brown stock .You should get the recipes online

MiniMoon Wed 05-Aug-20 13:31:30

Here is a recipe from Great British Chefs.

www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/tournedos-rossini-recipe

kittylester Wed 05-Aug-20 13:55:15

Thank you both.

Elegran Wed 05-Aug-20 14:24:53

I used to make this occasionally for myself and DH many years ago. I did it very like Paddyanne's recipe, but obviously with smaller quantities and with a cheaper pate than foie gras. It was simple but luxurious - expensive, so not an everyday meal.

Elegran Wed 05-Aug-20 14:29:00

I remember a debate among food writers on whether tournedos should be pronounced with the stress on the last syllable or the one before it. I forget what conclusion was reached, but it turned on the original language of the word. Was probably French = tourne dos and Italian = tour ned os.

paddyanne Wed 05-Aug-20 16:25:41

Elegran I got it out of a book I had when I did my City and Guilds in professional cookery .I did it part time in my 30's just to prove to myself I could get a good grade.I got a Distinction!! Cooking has always been my hobby I was happy that I hadn't been going too far wrong for 20 odd years ...lol

Greeneyedgirl Wed 05-Aug-20 16:42:12

Have never heard of Tournedos Rossini but sounds really delicious - sans fois gras am afraid.

Thank you so much MiniMoon for the brilliant link to great British chefs. I am not a domestic goddess, far from in fact, but posts like this are a real inspiration smile.

Chewbacca Wed 05-Aug-20 16:46:24

No idea how you cook it but I'd love to know too. Must be 40 years since I last had it and I can remember it like yesterday.

Fennel Wed 05-Aug-20 16:59:37

I've never cooked anything like that. Sounds delicious. Do you need a special cut of beef?
The few times I've cooked steaks they were very tough.
ps just read MiniMoon's recipe shock - way beyond my range.

Elegran Wed 05-Aug-20 17:02:31

When I cooked it (making it up as I went along, as this was a long time ago and I couldn't search the internet for a recipe) I used a good quality "ordinary" smooth pate, not foie gras, and some red wine, not madeira. Perhaps it wasn't quite as wonderful as the professional version, but it was pretty damn good. We drank the rest of the wine with it.

Elegran Wed 05-Aug-20 17:05:13

"Fennel* Tournedos steak is a special cut, but I would imagine fillet steak would approximate to it. It is the combination of the tender steak, the melting pate on top of it, and the madeira sauce that is so delicious.

Elegran Wed 05-Aug-20 17:06:52

It was a "posh meal out" in the sixties, when there weren't so many exotic dishes on the menu to choose from.

kittylester Wed 05-Aug-20 17:18:36

I think that's why DH fancies it at the moment Elegran. A blast from the past!!

I will use fillet steak and duck pate.

Steak Diane was another favourite. And we did think we were sophisticated!!

Elegran Wed 05-Aug-20 17:28:31

Compared to parents we WERE sophisticated! Sometimes my mother would make a curry - an ordinary stew with a spoonful of curry powder in it. They ate it with potatoes and carrots or runner beans, as well as the rice.

Framilode Wed 05-Aug-20 17:41:51

Elegran My mother always used to add a couple of spoons of Bisto to her curry and call it African curry. She didn't like the colour of normal curry.

spottybook Wed 05-Aug-20 17:56:37

Ooh that takes me back. We had a Registry wedding in the mid 70s with just our parents and two close friends. We then went to a “posh” restaurant for lunch and had Tournedos Rossini. Hope you find a suitable recipe.

Missfoodlove Wed 05-Aug-20 18:36:25

I suggest serving with a well chilled Gaviscon.

geekesse Wed 05-Aug-20 19:08:56

It’s easy. Toast at the bottom, foie gras (not pate - a slice of whole foie gras), then fillet steak. To get it right, the toast, foie gras and steak need to be the same size. Beef stock and wine reduction as sauce. I like it with chips and peas, but I’m a pleb. Probably ought to be potatoes dauphinois and heritage carrots or some such.

kittylester Wed 05-Aug-20 19:24:38

I'm not sure that foie grass is PC currently. And, I think the Tournedos is a specific cut to be authentic.

geekesse Wed 05-Aug-20 19:32:18

The tournedos cut is the thinner end of the fillet.

merlotgran Wed 05-Aug-20 19:32:22

Elegran

Compared to parents we WERE sophisticated! Sometimes my mother would make a curry - an ordinary stew with a spoonful of curry powder in it. They ate it with potatoes and carrots or runner beans, as well as the rice.

My mother's curries were like that and a curious shade of green but at least she left out the potatoes in favour of glutinous rice.

She then topped the lot with dessicated coconut, sliced banana and onion rings. hmm

Urmstongran Wed 05-Aug-20 19:33:32

This was a witchy thread kitty as I was thinking about the name of the dish that was steak topped with rich pate only the other night. I think I was drifting off to sleep trying to remember it then forgot about it the next morning (as you do). It was very popular in steakhouses in the late 70’s. A retro dish indeed.
?

kittylester Wed 05-Aug-20 20:28:11

If we went out for posh meal the starter was often orange juice or tomato juice.DH Aand I once went for a meal where the waitress refused to let us have our pudding until we had finished our main course wine.

Oh, I've just remembered dessert trolleys!!!!