Gransnet forums

Food

bread pudding anyone?

(59 Posts)
travelnan Fri 30-Oct-20 14:01:25

I have just made a bread pudding and am wondering if this is something that is out of date. The recipe I use was given to me by an aunt over 50 years ago. My family love it (so do I). Am I the only one to still enjoy a slice?

lemongrove Fri 30-Oct-20 22:20:03

The recipe is for bread pudding.
For bread and butter pudding: butter about five slices of white bread, line a dish with triangles of the bread and butter.
Use eggs and milk and sugar beaten together, pour slowly over the bread and sprinkle dried fruit on.Layer the bread and fruit and custard mixture until the dish is full.If you have any cream pour some on top.Then a sprinkle of nutmeg.
Cook in reasonably medium to hot oven until done.

There are variations some like, add marmalade to the bread and butter and the zest of an orange.Broken up pain au chocolates ( in place of bread) and the zest of an orange is very nice too.

biba70 Fri 30-Oct-20 22:22:21

Ah, yes, got it, thanks. For me, the simple bread and butter pudding is the best- nothing else fancy added. Thanks.

Gransooz Fri 30-Oct-20 22:22:54

My mum made a lovely bread pudding. We had it hot as a pudding and anything left was sliced cold. When mum passed away, my brother took her recipe book, telling me that he’d copy what he wanted out of it and give it to me. Sadly, his house went on fire while he still had it ...
I’d love to know how she made it (along with loads of other things that would be in there!)

M0nica Sat 31-Oct-20 17:47:04

Lemongrove I always use suet in bread pudding. I have no recipe, my mother made it (with suet) and did all by eye and I do the same.

Nanagem Sun 01-Nov-20 08:12:10

Love bread pudding, hate bread and butter pudding, 2 total different things ! Hot from the oven yummy, cold the next day yummy. My mum used to make a lovely one with suet in, Ive lost the recipe over the years, and have never managed to replace it, there’s only me that eats it in this house so not worth making, but reading this thread brings make memories ?

Froglady Sun 01-Nov-20 08:14:23

My mum used to always make our bread sauce, whole onions studded with cloves, etc, etc. She reckoned that if she could only have one thing for Christmas dinner it would be the bread sauce.

Froglady Sun 01-Nov-20 08:18:49

Whoops! Realised that I had misread the title of the OP. Teach me to take my time with things.
I will always remember my stepfather coming home with many loaves of bread and making bread pudding with it all. The bread was left over after a special meet with the Camping and Caravanning club, maybe the Tulip Rally or the Goose Fair or a Feast of Lanterns.
We also found it in a town called St Cere in the Dordogne/Lot Valley region of France, where my parents went to a nearby campsite for a month every summer for over 20 years, and buying some every time they went shopping there. He loved bread pudding with a passion!

Flossieturner Sun 01-Nov-20 09:47:59

This has made me desire a bread pudding. Are there any more recipes you can share?