Gransnet forums

Food

Turkey, would this work??

(79 Posts)
phoenix Fri 06-Nov-20 10:42:32

Morning, good wishes to all.

This year I will be doing a turkey crown, rather than a whole bird.

I usually stuff it, butter it and cover the breast and thighs with bacon, wrap in foil etc.

Bit worried that it might be dry, so toying with the idea of turning it upside down and putting some stuffing in the "dip" iykwim, then bacon on top, foil and actually cooking it upside down.

The thinking is that the juices from the stuffing will go down into the meat and moisten it.

Well, that's the theory grin!

Any thoughts?

TIA!

phoenix Fri 06-Nov-20 20:18:23

Fennel agree about leg meat, I buy chicken thigh fillets from Lidl and use them instead of chicken breasts in many recipes, better flavour and cheaper!

Blossoming Sun 08-Nov-20 16:58:48

phoenix I would love to see your turkey and ham pie recipe.

phoenix Mon 09-Nov-20 11:32:45

Blossoming it's a total cheat!

Mix cut up gammon or ham with cooked Turkey (I leave the chunks quite big so they don't disintegrate), then use condensed mushroom soup to bind it together, season, (a bit of dried sage and black pepper is what I use)

Use frozen puff pastry, line a plate, put filling on, top with pastry, make leaves etc to pretty it up, glaze with beaten egg and cook.

phoenix Mon 09-Nov-20 11:33:47

Nanagem did you try it with the chicken crown?

Blossoming Mon 09-Nov-20 22:18:39

phoenix I am so making this once I can get some frozen pastry! My OH loves turkey and ham pie. He’ll be impressed with my culinary skills.

biba70 Mon 09-Nov-20 22:24:32

No family = no turkey. It will be aged rib of beef, with all the trimmings, and all homemade.

phoenix Tue 10-Nov-20 22:36:10

Blossoming check what your husband means by Turkey and ham pie, some people mean a sort of veal and ham pie, a bit like pork pie, i.e. raised cold water crust type thing, designed to be eaten cold, never served hot.

Mine is more a sort of Turkey and ham version of a steak pie, iykwim?!

phoenix Tue 10-Nov-20 22:39:25

Biba I take it you are getting a double rib? A single is a bu**er to cook, and tends to dry out.

If it will be just you, then perhaps a tomahawk steak might be a better option?

allium Tue 10-Nov-20 22:52:03

Only a few of us so a rib of beef or a goose instead. Rather a lot of meat on even the smallest turkey joint.

maddyone Tue 10-Nov-20 23:44:44

phoenix
Yorkshire Pudding only with beef in my house too.

SpringyChicken Wed 11-Nov-20 08:23:39

Am I the only person who thinks the taste of butter doesn’t complement turkey?
I save the fat from a roast chicken and use that instead.

Gingster Wed 11-Nov-20 08:35:15

I’ve always used the Phil Vickery method. Always a success ?

Dorsetcupcake61 Wed 11-Nov-20 08:58:48

I'm with Phoenix Yorkshire Pudding belongs with beef!

GrannyGravy13 Wed 11-Nov-20 09:22:52

Another fan of the Phil Vickery method, never let me down yet on various weights of Turkey.

phoenix Wed 11-Nov-20 09:55:31

Humph! As mentioned before, the only time I tried it (after seeing it on here) my ceramic hob went bang!

Caragran Wed 11-Nov-20 10:09:54

Yorkshire's at any time!!!!!
Not just Christmas

slightlyvixed Wed 11-Nov-20 10:13:13

I've always cooked turkey crowns and chickens upside down, turning over for the last 30 minutes for the skin to brown. With whole chickens it also ensures the bottom is less soggy!

grannybuy Wed 11-Nov-20 10:14:03

I cook mine in the slow cooker. Never fails to be tender and moist. Obviously have to use smaller crowns, so do two, separately.

Craftycat Wed 11-Nov-20 10:17:44

I have turned Turkey over a couple of times but I don't think it made any difference.
I really don't want one this year- I'd like something different for a change. As it is looking as if it will have to be just the 2 of us unless COVID restrictions lifted I may do duck or even a really nice piece of beef ( which will delight DH).

NoddingGanGan Wed 11-Nov-20 10:19:57

Being a Yorkshire lass there'd be ructions in this house if there were no Yorkshires on the table at Christmas, or with any roast dinner for that matter grin

Grandmabeach Wed 11-Nov-20 10:23:20

Daddima

I’ve taken to brining chicken. Just add salt, sugar, soy sauce, and anything else you fancy, like garlic, onion, or lemon to enough warm water to cover the chicken, let it cool,and leave it overnight for a whole chicken, or three or four hours for pieces. I’m sure it would work equally well with turkey.

I was invited to an American friend's Thanksgiving dinner. The turkey has been brined and was the most moist turkey I have ever eaten.

mariella22 Wed 11-Nov-20 10:24:54

Easier to cook than a whole turkey as cooking time shorter and so less chance of overcooking to make sure cooked through! Always juicy . Frozen crown juicier than fresh I have found .

Flakesdayout Wed 11-Nov-20 10:26:47

Yorkshire puddings with any roast in this house. My OH likes to cook them in a batch and freeze. No faffing at Christmas with them as well as everything else. We will have a small turkey this year, possibly a crown and cooked upside down.

Moggycuddler Wed 11-Nov-20 10:31:16

Been vegetarian now for over 25 years but before that whenever I cooked a large turkey I roasted it upside down and then turned it over for the last hour to brown the breast with bacon on. And put whole or halved peeled onions inside it.

Jillybird Wed 11-Nov-20 10:48:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.